Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
mdietz39
mdietz39 doesn't littermdietz39 doesn't littermdietz39 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle v3.1
Formatting author names

How do we format author names which do not fit to the "standard" format so such things as the Search the Internet plugin and sorts will "work"?

For example, "H. P. Lovecraft", the search parameters strip the periods after the initials which then does not find those web pages which have the periods in the names.

The other example, " A. E. Van Vogt", the search and sort parameters have the last name as just Vogt and not Van Vogt.

Thank you
Mike
mdietz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Sorting authors depends on the content of the author_sort field, which you can edit in the edit metadata dialog.
I just tested whether there's an issue with the search plugin by adding an empty book (H.P. Lovecraft, Necronomicon) and searching on Google and Wikipedia. Both had absolutely no problems getting hits with the stripped dots. What search engine are you searching on?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
mdietz39

The search for H. P. Lovecraft worked on Wikipedia, Internet Book List, and the Library of Congress. It failed on isfdb for author. It is no real big deal because if the search fails, then the web page displayed is for a manual search.

I am a bit of a purist and if I edit the author sort to have Van Vogt, A. E. it is displayed in red which rattles my psyche. Again no big deal.

I can solve the period problem by searching on last name only but if I do C. S. Lewis then I get a bunch of them

I use the search plugin all the time and really do love it.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdietz39 View Post
I am a bit of a purist and if I edit the author sort to have Van Vogt, A. E. it is displayed in red which rattles my psyche. Again no big deal.
If you want that author to *always* have that sort value, change it for the author using the manage authors dialog. The red will go away.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdietz39 View Post
If the field is red, Calibre thinks that, according to the method selected in preferences->tweaks->author sort name algorithm, the entry for author_sort is wrong. You should probably check the selected algorithm and select the one that's most appropriate for you- if in doubt, use 'comma'.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
mdietz39

Thank you both. Works like a charm. The more I use Calibre the more I find out what is possible. Quite a learning curve.