Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
oddboy
oddboy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
deliver news feeds automatically?

hey gang,

just started using calibre. awesome tool.

i was wondering if there's a way to have news feeds delivered automatically. i have them scheduled and they're downloading, but they're not being delivered to my device unless i manually go in and send them.

is there a way to have the news feeds automatically delivered after download/conversion?

thanks!

J
oddboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
They should be, if you're connecting the device directly to your computer via USB. If not, I believe the emailing options might provide a solution for you, although I can't help you with them, as I've never used them.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddboy View Post
is there a way to have the news feeds automatically delivered after download/conversion?
Go to Preferences - Behavior and check Automatically send downloaded news to ebook reader.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
oddboy

not working

hey guys,

thanks for the suggestions. i have the "email automatically" enabled. my kindle email address is set up and working. the smtp set up is working as well (via gmail). when i press the "download now" button on a particular news feed, the news feed is downloaded, converted and emailed to my kindle successfully. however, it doesn't do this on the schedule. i have set a few to download automatically every morning with a 5 min. step between them just for good measure (7:00, 7:05, 7:10, etc). but they don't download (and therefore, nothing is sent to my device) automatically. (and yes, calibre is left running).

any other ideas?

i've set a debug folder to see if i can find anything useful in there.

thx,

J
Old 09-30-2010, 04:32 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

That sounds like there might be something wrong with your scheduled times... If you go and reopen the scheduled news download- window, in the list on the lefthand side, is there a green entry called "scheduled" or somesuch on top? If so, does it contain the feeds you want with the correct times?
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
oddboy

yes

yes, i have the items under the green "scheduled" heading, but the last update time is days ago until i manually press the "download now" button.

maybe i'll try unscheduling them and then re-scheduling them.

thx,
Old 09-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddboy View Post
yes, i have the items under the green "scheduled" heading, but the last update time is days ago until i manually press the "download now" button.

maybe i'll try unscheduling them and then re-scheduling them.

thx,
Are you sure they're set to daily updates?
Old 10-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
oddboy

still can't get auto email to work

making a little progress. I deleted and recreated all my subscriptions and they now download every day at the prescribed time, but they don't get sent to my device. i'm trying to send to my @free.kindle.com address.

is there anything else I can check? this is really the feature I wanted most from calibre. i don't understand why it doesn't work.

using 0.7.22 on Windows.

addodd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-news.png
Views:	308
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	59473  
Old 10-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
olley
olley began at the beginning.

Hi I have exactly the same problem, news downloads to calibre, auto send is checked, but unless I manually send them they don't get sent.

Ian
olley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
deleted

Last edited by TomF; 10-08-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: duplicate
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
There are several steps that need to be done. See my post from a few days ago in the Kindle subforum that lists everything that needs to be done.

Mine have been working flawlessly ever since I got my K3 on 7/28.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
kitno84
kitno84 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
There are several steps that need to be done. See my post from a few days ago in the Kindle subforum that lists everything that needs to be done.

Mine have been working flawlessly ever since I got my K3 on 7/28.
Tom,

This has stopped working for me also. I have all the correct settings as outlined in your earlier post, and Calibre does not auto-send. (It used to work, and now it doesn't) I don't see why or how it is not working.

When I manually click the "send to -----@free.kindle.com" the selected entry gets sent to my kindle. The email settings are correct, I have the auto-send checkboxes checked, and yet the news items are not automatically sent upon download. It seems like a glitch.

Can anyone confirm this? Any solutions?
kitno84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitno84 View Post
When I manually click the "send to -----@free.kindle.com" the selected entry gets sent to my kindle. The email settings are correct, I have the auto-send checkboxes checked, and yet the news items are not automatically sent upon download. It seems like a glitch.

Can anyone confirm this? Any solutions?
What version of calibre are you using?
If you aren't using 0.7.31 then upgrade. The below two new features were added in response to how gmail seemed to have changed.
Quote:
New Features
  • E-mail sending: Email sends are now regular jobs that can be accessed from the jobs list. Also when sending using gmail/hotmail send at most one email every five minutes to avoid trigerring their spam controls. Failed sends are now retried one more time, automatically.
  • E-mail sending: Allow unencrypted connections to SMTP relay
Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote