Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Get Well Slow

My body has been no great friend of mine so far this century and has developed the habit of landing me in hospital for long stretches.

And I must admit that this tendency was added motivation to get myself an ebook reading device.

I bought my Sony PRS-505 early last year and have, unfortunately, been in rude good health ever since and not had the chance to discover just how much good it would do me lying in a bed in a country where hospitals carry only small libraries -- and those in a language not my mother tongue.

So -- yipee! -- you can imagine my glee when it was sprung on me this week that I wasn't as healthy as I feared and that I need three rounds of heavy surgery starting on April Fool's Day.

Now I will be able to test my theory that an unlimited supply of good books will aid recovery, make recovery time enjoyable rather than unbearable, or both.

This first time around, I'll be in for only a week to ten days. The other two bouts might mean longer stretches on my back, maybe even a stay in a convalescent clinic in the hills. So this wee Sony PRS-505 is going to be loaded to the gills with books from my lengthy TBR list and put through its paces.

Sadly, I may well have internet access, which would oblige me to do at least some work to avoid a big guilt trip. But whatever, my much extended recreational reading time will make for a dream vacation.

I'll miss MR if I'm out of touch for long, but I promise that I'll now be catching up on many sound recommended reads from my pals here.

And if anyone wants to send me a card, make sure it reads ... Get Well SLOW!

Slainte ba. Neil

Last edited by neilmarr; 03-26-2010 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Toedit out the bit about Monaco nurses.
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Enjoy your reading opportunity, Neil and get well, er, slow .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Hope it all works out for you, Neil. Don't forget your charger!
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Get well slow then, Neil, and enjoy your extended reading 'vacation'!

I hope that after that you will take the time to relax and read once in a while without needing any more health problems.

If you do have internet access, don't use it for work, just log onto MR to let us know how you're doing and what you're reading!

All the best and happy reading!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
don't forget the charger !!!

(ps make sure there's somewhere to plug it into, and they will let you!)..

enjoy, but I've seen better excuses for getting an ereader!!!!!

GET WELL really slowly !!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
get well slow but completely neil ! enjoy your reading and don't let good health stop you from continuing in the future. i spent a couple of days in clinic recently and i was indeed very very happy to have my sony with me. i'm sure you'll also find it makes the experience much more bearable. but that's no reason to drag it out unnecessarily, either...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I hope that you get well at whatever pace you want, Neil, and have a complete recovery.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Get well SLOW but completely. (You don't want your heirs fighting over your sony do you?)
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
In addition to not forgetting the charger and getting well at your own relaxed pace, most importantly....

Don't forget to load your reader with a gazillion books!!

Enjoy the opportunity Neil!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Let your eyes rest
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Neil, Sorry you have be in the hospital, but happy you finally get to try out your 505!

I'll add one more idea.. maybe, get something to attach to your Reader so that if you fall asleep it can't drop to the floor.

I'll wish you your get well SLOW and read happily.

(drop in from time to time to let us know how you are doing-- and keep posting what you are reading. )
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #12
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Best wishes for a complete recovery.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Festina lente, Neil. Good thing you have your Reader
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
The last time I was in the hospital, before e-book reader age, I took my laptop with me. I was lying in bed hooked up to monitors, with my laptop on my chest going over some things. Pretty soon one of the nurses came running in telling me that I couldn't do that!! I guess my laptop interfered with the heart monitors; I wasn't even in the hospital with a heart problem!!; though I had 3 heart attacks prior to that. So I proceded to put my laptop on the bed-side table and continued what I was doing; I guess sitting on the table was far enough away not to interfere with the monitors.
Now if an e-book reader would interfere with monitors would be an interesting issue. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to intentionally go to the hospital, just to try out my thought.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #15
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
May you get well at a slow but sure pace.

Enjoy your reading.

nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote