Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Books in Calibre folder don't turn up in search

I just searched my Calibre installation for an author, and got no results, in spite of the fact that I have 4 titles by the author in my Calibre book folder. I verified spelling, etc. I assume there is a problem with metadata. How can I fix this short of re-importing the books?

Thanks.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I just searched my Calibre installation for an author, and got no results, in spite of the fact that I have 4 titles by the author in my Calibre book folder. I verified spelling, etc. I assume there is a problem with metadata. How can I fix this short of re-importing the books?

Thanks.
Calibre searches uses THE DATABASE
If you have been doing things under the skirts, the database no longer represents reality. (this is the reason why you are advised to stay out)

Run the Library Maintenance tool, both phases.
phase 2 will list where warps in the reality now exists.

Extra books are books that do not (no longer) match the Database
Missing books are what the Database expects, but not where it expects them or just plain missing.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I just[B] searched my Calibre installation for an author, and got no results, in spite of the fact that I have 4 titles by the author in my Calibre book folder. I verified spelling, etc. I assume there is a problem with metadata. How can I fix this short of re-importing the books?
Which operating system/version are you using, and which calibre version?

With what did you search?

Where precisely did you search?

Assuming you're not using the Windows portable version: Calibre libraries are not normally stored in the Installation folder, by default they're stored within the User home folder/directory.

If you use any of '\/:*?"<>|' in an author name (or book title) then Calibre will replace the 'offending' character with an underscore '_' in the folder and file names it creates.

If you want to see an author folder, then select a book by that author in the main Calibre Library List and press 'O' to open the book folder. The Library, Author, and Book folder names should be shown in your file managers 'address bar'.

My biggest library has 1200+ plus authors, the author folder names are the same as I see them in calibre.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-06-2014 at 05:10 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #4
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre searches uses THE DATABASE
If you have been doing things under the skirts, the database no longer represents reality. (this is the reason why you are advised to stay out)

Run the Library Maintenance tool, both phases.
phase 2 will list where warps in the reality now exists.

Extra books are books that do not (no longer) match the Database
Missing books are what the Database expects, but not where it expects them or just plain missing.
Thanks, Ducks! Library Maintenance restored the database! At least, the book I was searching for now turn up. I did copy my books folder to another location recently. And there are over 2,000 books.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks, Ducks! Library Maintenance restored the database! At least, the book I was searching for now turn up. I did copy my books folder to another location recently. And there are over 2,000 books.
When you did the copy; Did you move it to a different OS (eg XP-W7)?
OS long name rules differ (in addition to Name Case) for FATx file systems.
Touching up the (windows) Library with Linux can result in 2 case versions of the same file in the title folder XP could not even see the other file
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #6
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
When you did the copy; Did you move it to a different OS (eg XP-W7)?
OS long name rules differ (in addition to Name Case) for FATx file systems.
Touching up the (windows) Library with Linux can result in 2 case versions of the same file in the title folder XP could not even see the other file
I just moved from Dropbox to Dumptruck, so I just copied my Calibre book folder to a different folder. I now have my books backed-up in a couple of locations. I once had to leave 2,000 books on the street, because I had no means of moving them to my new home (different country). That's not going to happen again.