Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #1021
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Expecting errors? What? Is Baen publishing it?
Given the nature of digital publishing there's really no reason for typos to be in a book on the release date. At most a couple of days past release errors should be fixed from reader feedback and purchasers notified that a corrected version is available to download.

Publishers still are not taking full advantage of digital publishing. For example in "Sentry Peak" by Baen every instance of the name of the mountain, including in the book's title, metadata and info on the website was spelled "Sentry Peek". The only one who got it right was the cover artist.

Baen had not a clue it was wrong until I sent them an e-mail. How does such a gaffe make it past every level of checking?
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #1022
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool COLD DAYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abtacha View Post
Winter is coming! And the coldest of days arrive in November.

Cold Days has a release date, it's November 27th. You can have a look at the Cover if you follow my elegantly crafted link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No word of the eBook on November 27 though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
True, but I would be surprised it if weren't made available the same day. My biggest concern is cost.
Amazon and B&N offer eBook ($14.99) as well as the hardback.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #1023
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Amazon and B&N offer eBook ($14.99) as well as the hardback.
Thank you for the links, Alan. I've just pre-ordered the Kindle version! Yay!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #1024
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You don't mind paying full price and you don't want to be part of the buy Cold Days for cheap group?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #1025
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
You don't mind paying full price and you don't want to be part of the buy Cold Days for cheap group?
Normally $15 is out of my price range. I usually will not pay more than $10 (and even that's only for have-to-haves), but this has become one of my favorite series to date, so I don't mind as much.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #1026
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Normally $15 is out of my price range. I usually will not pay more than $10 (and even that's only for have-to-haves), but this has become one of my favorite series to date, so I don't mind as much.
At least get the ePub so you can fix the errors easily. Yes, I do expect there to be errors given how some of the eBooks in the series have been released.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #1027
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Yea, thanks. I just pre-ordered as well. A $4.00 discount for ebooks from the hardback price and still people complain.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #1028
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Yea, thanks. I just pre-ordered as well. A $4.00 discount for ebooks from the hardback price and still people complain.
That's because it's a rip-off. The hardcover has a 34% discount while the eBook has no discount with no possible discount. This is the fun of agency.

I understand how the BPH handles print. They charge based on the container. But an eBook doesn't have a container that changes. So set the price appropriately and stop ripping us off.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #1029
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
I understand how the BPH handles print. They charge based on the container.
They really don't. Maybe they sell us on paying the price based partly on the "prestige" format, but the main selling point of a hardcover is the same as a movie ticket: first release.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #1030
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
They really don't. Maybe they sell us on paying the price based partly on the "prestige" format, but the main selling point of a hardcover is the same as a movie ticket: first release.
But they have different price points for different print formats/containers. Once an eBook is done, it's in that format/container and that version it isn't going to change.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #1031
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I wonder if my library will have the epub . . .
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:16 PM   #1032
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Amazon's blurb

SPOILER ALERT
Spoiler:
Quote:
Book Description
Publication Date: November 27, 2012
HARRY DRESDEN LIVES!!!

After being murdered by a mystery assailant, navigating his way through the realm between life and death, and being brought back to the mortal world, Harry realizes that maybe death wasn’t all that bad. Because he is no longer Harry Dresden, Chicago’s only professional wizard.

He is now Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness. After Harry had no choice but to swear his fealty, Mab wasn’t about to let something as petty as death steal away the prize she had sought for so long. And now, her word is his command, no matter what she wants him to do, no matter where she wants him to go, and no matter who she wants him to kill.

Guess which Mab wants first?

Of course, it won’t be an ordinary, everyday assassination. Mab wants her newest minion to pull off the impossible: kill an immortal. No problem there, right? And to make matters worse, there exists a growing threat to an unfathomable source of magic that could land Harry in the sort of trouble that will make death look like a holiday.

Beset by enemies new and old, Harry must gather his friends and allies, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own…His soul.

Last edited by alansplace; 08-31-2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: fix formatting
Old 09-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #1033
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool jim-butcher.com

Quoted from jim-butcher.com
Quote:
Preorder Cold Days and Under My Hat

Tomorrow, the collection containing the third story in Jim’s “Bigfoot Trilogy”–in which Bigfoot in Harry’s client–hits stores! Read “B is for Bigfoot” in the star-studded YA Fantasy anthology Under My Hat: Tales of the Cauldron. Jim’s story is set between Fool Moon and Grave Peril, and it joins works by Neil Gaiman, Tanith Lee, Jane Yolen, Delia Sherman, Peter S. Beagle, Ellen Kushner, Charles de Lint, Garth Nix, and more!

Also, Cold Days is now available for preorder! Order via our store in the following formats:
Hardcover, Amazon
Hardcover, B&N
Hardcover, IndieBound
Kindle, Amazon
Audio CD, Amazon
Old 09-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #1034
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool COLD DAYS!

Quote:
You're welcome.

So did I.

Yippee!!

Old 09-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #1035
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What is it Jim Butcher has against eBooks from B&N? The ePub from B&N is available for pre-order and yet there's no link.

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy