Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-04-2017, 04:34 PM   #151
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Also it is worth to mention the remarkable and important improvement is now the Wacom digitizer. It is very exact and also faster than current Hanvon digitizer used in previous Onyx devices with inductive touch screen. I am testing Max2 now for some days and I am very impressed by the excellent stylus writing capability of it. It is very close to the writing with a regular pen.
Sounds great. How about a short Youtube video about the new device?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:51 AM   #152
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Sounds great. How about a short Youtube video about the new device?
@Booxtor, you could reply to joblack - visit mobileread.com, reach the page, reply - in the video ; ) That's already a demo.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2017, 02:40 AM   #153
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleMeAndrey View Post
Someone posted another video review of Max 2, which contradicts the previous video.

New video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1LeURVZw3g

* The stylus is not pressure sensitive.
* The stylus is is not the generic "Bamboo" stylus shown in the previously posted video.

It sounds a bit like he bought it from some guy of questionable legitimacy, so perhaps this is a prototype rather than the final product? He paid about $700 for it—much less than what it's going for on the Dutch website.

The main issue he had with the device is battery drain when in standby mode.

Previously posted Max 2 to Sony comparison video (for quick reference):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_hA_cwoW8A
It's legitimate, the stylus he showed in the demo is original shipped one. He said he bought it on Taobao at 5000rmb (usd $760 or so).

The price is higher than my expectation. After comparing its display quality and writing experience to Sony RP1, I think I get the reason. Wacom's technology is very good but expensive.

I'm the guy who did the translation. I said generic that means you can use any kind of Wacom compatible stylus.

The stylus is only pressure sensitive in OneNote but not sensitive in the system build-in notebook and the delay is unbearable (in many third party softwares not installed from Onyx's app store) in my opinion.

Last edited by cqman; 12-05-2017 at 03:42 AM.
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:15 AM   #154
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqman View Post
and the delay is unbearable in my opinion.
I just watched the demonstration at https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QdygQGtHZzw and the speed with the stylus looked lightning fast, faster than an EPD screen should technically be, totally impressive.
I guess you meant "unbearable on OneNote in that demo - pressure control, chinese ideograms etc.".
We should get all the variables in the game: different software, different pen, settings, usage etc.

For example: was Optical Character Recognition applied during the use? Was it from stylized Canadian or Phoenician, or from rich Chinese ideograms? (The Graffiti alphabet was designed to be OCR-simple...)

EDIT: I just better checked the video you dubbed - I thought it was the very long one (I am in mobility, videos may be a problem...). It is already clear from there that experience may vary a lot - as it is normal - starting from "blazingly fast" to "I am crunching bitcoins while writing".

It will be useful and also instructive, in the near future, to identify the tools, software, config and practices that maximize the experience.

Last edited by mdp; 12-05-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:40 AM   #155
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
@Booxtor, you could reply to joblack - visit mobileread.com, reach the page, reply - in the video ; ) That's already a demo.
There is no demo from Booxter just a chinese YT video.
Advert
Old 12-05-2017, 06:09 AM   #156
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
There is no demo from Booxter just a chinese YT video.
Yes, I proposed that he shoots a video replying, in these mobileread web interfaces, to your post. That would already be a demo of reading, browsing and writing.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:23 AM   #157
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Yes, I proposed that he shoots a video replying, in these mobileread web interfaces, to your post. That would already be a demo of reading, browsing and writing.
And did he?
Old 12-05-2017, 07:29 AM   #158
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
And did he?
You mean "will he?". Time will tell.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #159
KindleMeAndrey
Enthusiast
KindleMeAndrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
@cqman,

Thanks for clarifying, and for doing the translation. It's been most informative. I'm excited for when the smaller e-Note is out and feel like I'll be ready to make a well-educated choice of device when that time comes.

If anyone is planning to make another video of the Max 2 tech, I'd appreciate a more detailed analysis of the stylus. Is it slow in all pressure sensitivity-enabled programs or just OneNote? How does it work in A2 mode where the details aren't rendered as fully?

I'd love the ability to sketch with pressure sensitivity like on ReMarkable, but if the lines are going to appears two seconds after I draw them, it won't really be an option.
KindleMeAndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #160
mdp
Wizard

Also the video from Bun tang,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1LeURVZw3g
shows very fast scribbling.
I think it's an interesting review (though visually not very rich).

Incidentally, it shows a possibility I did not yet think about: he writes music by loading PDF files with empty pentagrams and fills them in with the stylus.

Among other things, I also note the interface as pretty responsive.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:58 PM   #161
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Today I have recorded a detailed video review about Max2 with my new YI 4K camera, but because of some format problems I could not edit it in my video editing software and as is it is too big for upload to Youtube. So I decided to repeat the work and better take some short videos about some special functions and often asked features. I will record and upload them tomorrow.

Last edited by Booxtor; 12-05-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #162
KindleMeAndrey
Enthusiast
KindleMeAndrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Thanks, Booxtor. Looking forward to it!
KindleMeAndrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:41 AM   #163
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Today I have recorded a detailed video review about Max2 with my new YI 4K camera, but because of some format problems I could not edit it in my video editing software and as is it is too big for upload to Youtube. So I decided to repeat the work and better take some short videos about some special functions and often asked features. I will record and upload them tomorrow.
Thanks you Booxtor ! PLEASE, don't forget to compare a Carta screen with and without a touch screen for a text - big zoom. I would see if the touch screen reduce the impression of reading on a paper book.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:25 AM   #164
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Some information concerning questions about Max2 recently discussed in this thread:
1. The stylus is pressure sensitive. However this feature is not supported in Onyx writing software yet. But don't worry, it will be supported soon, though. Hardware is already prepared for this function.

2. Onyx uses in Max2 Wacom EMR digitizer/stylus technology. Writing in Onyx native apps is very exact and fast. We will try to support this writing speed also in third party apps, where active stylus control is supported.

3. One Note. Our dev team is also working on solution to allow same writing experience in OneNote as we have it in Onyx native apps. Ignore those videos with huge stylus latency in OneNote. It is one of our priority tasks and there is already some remarkable success.

Currently I am taking some short videos about particular features of Max2. If you want me to record something special, please write your wishes here.

Last edited by Booxtor; 12-06-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:14 AM   #165
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Some information concerning questions about Max2 recently discussed in this thread:
1. The stylus is pressure sensitive. However this feature is not supported in Onyx writing software yet. But don't worry, it will be supported soon, though. Hardware is already prepared for this function.

2. Onyx uses in Max2 Wacom EMR digitizer/stylus technology. Writing in Onyx native apps is very exact and fast. We will try to support this writing speed also in third party apps, where active stylus control is supported.

3. One Note. Our dev team is also working on solution to allow same writing experience in OneNote as we have it in Onyx native apps. Ignore those videos with huge stylus latency in OneNote. It is one of our priority tasks and there is already some remarkable success.

Currently I am taking some short videos about particular features of Max2. If you want me to record something special, please write your wishes here.
Exciting news. Hope all those tech and software improvements can be expected on the forthcoming Note as well.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote