Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #16
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
One of the things I like is that you can cancel a sync from the sync tile on the home page. I am not sure when that appeared as I have been running betas for so long I barely remember .5.2. It means that I can load a new purchased book, and then press to cancel the rest of the sync--no new content loading (yay).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
Now my glo is behaving like I'm adding all the books on my SD card every time I power off and on. Without removing the SD card. Not just that it freezes on startup at the third tile of the happyface screen for 3 or so minutes, but it also shows a tile "238 new books added" each time.
It will show that on the tile until the next time you actually have new books added in. From what I could tell, this build did add in the SD card a bit differently, so we all get that big number if there are lots of books on the card. I am not sure how the tile actually works, but I just bought two new books from Kobo and the number increased from 99 (which was the number of books on the SD card) to 101 (and that # includes the 2 new kepubs).
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It will show that on the tile until the next time you actually have new books added in. From what I could tell, this build did add in the SD card a bit differently, so we all get that big number if there are lots of books on the card. I am not sure how the tile actually works, but I just bought two new books from Kobo and the number increased from 99 (which was the number of books on the SD card) to 101 (and that # includes the 2 new kepubs).
It is more that if I don't do anything other than dismiss that tile, turn off and on, the tile reappears, as if it has loaded new books.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #19
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I was able to get the 2.6.1 update for my Glo, but there are no updates for the Aura.

Major changes for the Glo includes a tile GUI just like the Aura now.

The online bookstore has been revamped with a storefront that shows a friendlier GUI with book covers. But searching for books is still done through the same confusing text-based categories. It seems that storefront is only a cosmetic change.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #20
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
OK, so I dismissed the library tile and bought another kepub. The library tile reappeared, but this time with only the one book I had just added. I believe this is the same behaviour we had seen previously.
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Are Widows & Orphans still an issue with this version?
Quick check says that widows and orphans in epubs are unchanged.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have to say, being able to get 8 tiles of books I'm reading, if I want, is nice! I read multiple newspapers in multiple languages and it's nice to be able to keep them on the homescreen, as well as a couple novels I have on the go..then I can read what I want at the moment without having to search too far. And if I want other things on, I can always dismiss a book/newspaper that I'm not as likely to want to read soon.

So far really liking the new homescreen and nothing is illegible for me, even on the glo rather than the aura.

We'll see if it lasts
Old 06-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #23
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uschiekid View Post
It is more that if I don't do anything other than dismiss that tile, turn off and on, the tile reappears, as if it has loaded new books.
That is the last incident that would involke the tile. My experience on my Aura suggests that when there has been a dismissal of the tile and a new incident (like a new book added) the tile should change.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #24
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Will this be for the touch too?
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #25
Uschiekid
Tenrec

Quote:
OK, so I dismissed the library tile and bought another kepub. The library tile reappeared, but this time with only the one book I had just added. I believe this is the same behaviour we had seen previously.
I'm only referring to the tile reappearing with all the SD card's books listed as new every time I turn off and on (not sleepmode). I can turn on, dismiss tile, turn off, turn on, dismiss tile, turn off, etc, etc and the tile will always reappear even though all I did was turn off. So I think it's re-reading the SD card books as new. I think I'm not being clear, but maybe you can understand anyhow
Old 06-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #26
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Quick check says that widows and orphans in epubs are unchanged.
Call me a pessimist, but I do not thnk we are likely to see many changes in epubs until there is movement on the kobo/adobe end from epub2 to epub3. I don't see kobo spending much in the way of developer time on epub2. The big question (in my mind) is when will there be an epub (vs kepub) option that is epub3?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
Will this be for the touch too?
I doubt that we will see the tiled interface on the Touch soon. The Touch has a 600x800 screen compared to 758x1024 on the Glo and 1080x1440 on the Aura. I could see Kobo implementing a simplified tiled interface with the number of tiles reduced for the Touch.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #28
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Was wondering if anyone is able to post a dropbox link to the new 2.6.1 glo firmware if possible. Or anykind of link for that matter..
Very anxious here to see the possibilities

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #29
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Thank you Kobo!

Thank you for another timely firmware release. I love regular updates, but understand it can be difficult to squash bugs and incorporate feedback, so frustrating some.

Thank you for starting a thread here about the new firmware. It's grand to see that.

Thank you for listening to us about the book title at the top of the page.
It is great to think that you listen to feedback and really care about the user experience.
Now, how about utilising that amazing SERIES data you have stored with the ebooks on my device and giving us a SERIES sort (within shelves please!) option? Pretty please?
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #30
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Is there a link anywhere yet for a direct download of 2.6.1 if you want to update manually?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote