Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-22-2023, 01:09 PM   #1
Springtide
Springtide began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini 6th generation
Force chapters to start on left page?

I’ve created my e-book with Caliber and successfully imported it into both iBooks and Kindle to check how they look. Everything’s great except that when in a left/right page view and a chapter ends on a left hand page, the next chapter starts on the right hand page opposite it. How can I force new chapters to always start on the next left hand page?

In case it’s relevant, I formatted the book by creating a separate text file for each chapter. The titles of each chapter are in an <H1> tag. The TOC generates correctly, which suggests to me there’s no problem doing it that way.
Springtide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 01:18 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
EBooks don't have left and right pages, though PDFs do.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 06:30 PM   #3
Springtide

Yes, they can have L/R pages

If you open the book in the Kindle or iOS Books app and the device is in landscape orientation, you have the choice to display it like a book, with left and right pages, rather than a single page full screen, like this:

This is how I prefer to read e-books. Notice how the chapter begins on the left page. If the chapter ends on a left-hand page, the right-hand page opposite it should be empty, like this:

Here, you can see the L/R page view on the left, in which the chapter ends part way down the left-hand page, and you can see the next chapter (Prologue) beginning on the left side of the next 2-page L/R view:
https://www.reneyoung.ca/wp-content/...4/IMG_0315.PNG
Again, notice that the right-hand page before the Prologue is blank. This is what I am trying to achieve, but in my e-book, if a chapter ends on a left-hand page, the next chapter begins on the right-hand page opposite it. I need to generate that empty RH page where applicable.
Old 04-22-2023, 06:42 PM   #4
Springtide

Try this again...

If you open the book in the Kindle or iOS Books app and the device is in landscape orientation, you have the choice to display it like a book, with left and right pages, rather than a single page full screen, like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	201226
This is how I prefer to read e-books. Notice how the chapter begins on the left page. If the chapter ends on a left-hand page, the right-hand page opposite it should be empty, like this:

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	201227
Here, you can see the L/R page view on the left, in which the chapter ends part way down the left-hand page, and you can see the next chapter (Prologue) beginning on the left side of the next 2-page L/R view:

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	201228
Again, notice that the right-hand page before the Prologue is blank. This is what I am trying to achieve, but in my e-book, if a chapter ends on a left-hand page, the next chapter begins on the right-hand page opposite it. I need to generate that empty RH page where applicable.

Last edited by issybird; 04-23-2023 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Colossal images thumbnailed. Please read the guidelines for limits on image size before posting again.
Old 04-22-2023, 07:09 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
XYZ brand ereader IS NOT the standard we design to.
EPUB designs are for 1 up devices, not 2 or 3 up. Not multi column.
ONE UP
Why, because whatever you do will not 100% work for any user front or any zoom level.

If you want to fudge.
1)chapter per file. That at least gives the viewer (app) a chance to start left
Or if you also put a (non printing) line in, then Pagebreak: always; if you want on right.
BUT
Not every viewer even honors all CSS commands (xyz developers know better what you want.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 08:27 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Fixed layout ebooks support page spreads where you can dictate whether a particular page will be shown on the left or right. That does not work for reflowable books.

It seems strange to me that you want new chapters to start on the left side of a page spread. That is the opposite of what is typically done in printed books.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 10:45 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Put your chapters in separate html files in your book. Then they will always start on theleft hand page.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 11:51 PM   #8
Springtide

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Put your chapters in separate html files in your book. Then they will always start on theleft hand page.
They ARE separate HTML files. They start on the next page, no matter if it's right or left.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:52 PM   #9
Springtide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Fixed layout ebooks support page spreads where you can dictate whether a particular page will be shown on the left or right. That does not work for reflowable books.

It seems strange to me that you want new chapters to start on the left side of a page spread. That is the opposite of what is typically done in printed books.
All the books I've downloaded from Amazon Kindle have chapters starting on the left, and if the previous chapter ends on a left page, there will be a blank right page before the next chapter.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:53 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use a better reader in that case, like the calibre viewer. Although I have to say, I've never come across a reader that does not start new HTML files on the left.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote