Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
Andrew Kaufman
Author/Suspense Thrillers
Andrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
Informal Survey: How Has Owning a Kindle Changed Your Life?

I've had my Kindle for going on three years now, and I was just thinking back--as people often do after getting used to new technology--and wondering: "How did I ever function without one?" I realize that when you don't know any better, well... you don't know any better! But in perspective, I know having my Kindle has changed my life in a few ways:

1) Much (much) less book clutter around the house. Pretty much all I have now are hard copies of some of my favorite books
2) I seem to get through books much faster, and as a result, read more of them.
3) I'm able to read more often because of the portability of the Kindle as opposed to the bulkiness of books.

So I'm wondering: what about you? How has your life changed? Has it changed at all?

Drew
Andrew Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I've owned ereader devices for around a year and I've noticed that:

1 I read a lot more books. I was a big reader before but now I probably read double what I used to. This may be partly due to the portability of a Kindle - it wasn't so easy carrying heavy hardback books around.

2 I now read everywhere - I mean reading a heavy book in the bath isn't ideal. But with my Kindle, I just pop it into a waterproof bag and I'm good to go. The screen is so lovely to read from that I also do a lot more outdoor reading.

3 I no longer use the library except for books for my 3 year old. In fact I don't like reading paper books at all now - only my recipe books which have nice glossy pics.

4 Our paper book collection is shrinking fast as we give books to charity - so the house is starting to look less cluttered.

5 I now keep track of what I'm reading and when using custom columns in Calibre. Interesting to finally see how much I do read in any given year.

6 Because Kindle has an inbuilt dictionary, I'm looking up words more often which is improving my word base.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
Madmanden
Enthusiast
Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
1) I read more books since it's so easy and quick
2) Less book clutter
3) Like TheKindleWorm I also use the built-in dictionary a lot more than I would a real dictionary
Madmanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
For me, my e-reader has meant:

1. I read far more (indeed, my reason for getting one in the first place was my hope that it would get me back in to reading - a habit I lost because I kept wrecking my paperbacks)

2. I annoy my best friend every time she sees my reader - she is convinced they are the devil's work.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:09 AM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
1. The adjustable font sizes make ebooks much easier to read than paper books. I can't overstate how huge this is for me.

2. The Kindle store has a lot more variety than my local book stores. I can read books that would never have shown up at Borders or B&N.

Last edited by carld; 09-14-2010 at 04:33 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #6
mrzerga
Connoisseur
mrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the rough

Device: kindle 3 wifi - love it
also note this: you do not have to hold or break-in pages - if read from top the kindle will stay open at a given page without any effort from your side - no more paperback trying to close itself!
mrzerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
After a year and a half with my Kindle:

1. I read a larger variety of authors.
2. Go to the library much less often, mostly for technical or graphics books.
3. Have new long distance friends as a result of exploring technical issues on this forum.
4. Am more patient when I have to wait for services...just pull out my Kindle and read.
5. Have gotten rid of a whole bookcase and only keep about 50 paper books.
6. Travel with 10 lbs less luggage.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
After a year and a half with my Kindle:

6. Travel with 10 lbs less luggage.
No 6 is a very good point because I used to take between 6-8 paperbacks on a 2 week holiday (not that would always read them all but sometimes you start a book and don't enjoy it!) as well as a load of magazines. This year I'm just taking my Kindle - and if that fails (dread the thought ) then I can use the library on the ship instead.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, I think this should be a general purpose thread and not just a Kindle centric thread. Can we start this one over again as a general thread about eBook Readers instead of just the Kindle?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #10
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Yes, it has changed my life, but not drastically. I would say it changed my fiction-reading life.

I stopped buying fiction books a while ago, except for ones I know I will re-read. Going to the library just took too much time, so I found myself reading mostly on the internet.

The paper books I have at home are mostly nonfiction, reference-type books and fiction I know I will re-read.

But like you said Andrew, now I read a lot more fiction because it doesn't take up space. Space is at a premium for me, as I live in a smallish 2 bedroom condo. My wife is a doctor, and has a TON of paper books that she won't throw out.

I didn't realize how much my life had changed just in the several months of Kindle ownership until I had to buy a paper book again. The Dragonlance Chronicles by Weis & Hickman. This is one of those thin-paged, small print, 1000+ page paperbacks, and it is a real brick. It gets heavy a lot faster than I remember paper books getting. Turning pages while reading in bed is harder than I remember. (maybe because there were no other options) My K2, even with its heavy leather Oberon cover, is lighter and more ergonomic to use.

In short, reading has become so much more convenient as a result of this new technology that I do a lot more of it.

Oh, and I do find myself bringing my Kindle along with going out with my wife. Just the other week, she dragged me into a women's clothing store. I sat down in a corner with my Kindle and just offered my opinion when she comes out in a new outfit. Before, I used to get really frustrated and nag, nag, nag. So I guess it has improved HER quality of life too.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #11
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, I think this should be a general purpose thread and not just a Kindle centric thread. Can we start this one over again as a general thread about eBook Readers instead of just the Kindle?
Wait, what are YOU doing here, Sony Imposter!?

I think it is just because he is a Kindle owner and this is where he hangs out the most. There's also a good amount of traffic in this forum.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think most of these comments apply to all ereaders. Maybe Kindle owners are just more communicative about their new toys

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Besides allowing me to read more books without leaving the house.....it hasn't really changed my life.

However, if someone had arthritis issues or mobility issues with their hands, wrists or arms, I can see where that would really change their life.

If they had severe vision problems, that would also be a huge change......for the better.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
My Kindle is a "hot librarian-type" chick-magnet!

Seriously, it really hasn't changed anything. I read a lot before the Kindle, and I still read a lot after the Kindle. It does satisfy my "inner high-tech geek", though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #15
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Because of my Kindle, I no longer have an extra toe on my right foot. People aren't repulsed by me at the community swimming pool.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote