Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Online Library of Liberty: 700+ free ePub ebooks

You may be acquainted with the project of the Online Library of Liberty, a project from the Liberty Fund which stores a great array of books about economics, philosophy, law studies and other social sciences.

While they stored their books in PDF format, they've realised lately that it was a good idea to convert them in ePub format as well, so they can be more easily accessible by eBook readers. They've managed to convert more than 700 books as of August 2010. Here you have them for download individually.

However, if you feel interested in the whole collection, I've taken the liberty to compress the whole collection in a Zip file and store it in Ubuntu One. Here you have the link:

http://ubuntuone.com/p/Ecd/

It'd be great if you could provide feedback about their readability, either here or in their mail direction: oll@libertyfund.org

Enjoy!

Last edited by Logseman; 09-01-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Changed link to a working, legal one.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Great. Thanks
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Fantastic resource, thanks for pointing it out and for creating the single download!
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A big SORRY from my side. I must take down the link, because the files had a formatting mistake which made it impossible to change the font size. The ePub project is still in Beta, so this kind of failure can happen. Now I'll try them again. I'll keep you updated.

By the way, the next file will be probably shorter in size. There are files for which the OLL does have the permission from the copyright owners for their distribution. However, I'm not the OLL, so I can't presume to have said permission. While my opinion of copyright is... well, my opinion, I must abide to the norms of Mobileread which forbid to post copyrighted material.

By the way, if you want to bulk-download the files yourselves, you can do so very easily through the FlashGot extension in Firefox. Just highlight them all, right click and select "download all". It will toggle the Wget program and it'll start downloading the files.

Don't miss this thread, I'll keep in touch!

Last edited by Logseman; 08-31-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Logseman
Orisa

Ok, I've checked that the ePub files are easily reflowable now for CSS-obeying readers. Now I'd like to know how they fare when they get converted to Mobi (I use Calibre for that task). My reader reads MOBI with FBReader, which ignores the CSS applied to it, so I can't quite give good testimony of what the result will be in, say, a Kindle.

You may notice that the files don't have good metadata (title is an internal code used by the OLL, author is Unknown). However, that should be addressed with time.

I'm putting here one book by Fréderic Bastiat, Economic Harmonies, converted from its ePub original to Mobi with Calibre, and I ask a favor of Kindle owners: check the book and see how it looks like. As you can imagine, it's interesting for the OLL to have its books being readable in as many devices as possible, so the books should be available in Mobi in the future.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi 79 Bastiat 0187 - Desconocido.mobi (920.4 KB, 183 views)
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
Logseman
Orisa

Ok, now I've uploaded a new Zip with the improved files in the first post. There are less books (660 now) because I haven't included the books which were copyrighted. As I said before, the OLL can distribute them, but I'm not part of it.

Now I can say it, Enjoy! There is a great array of high-quality literature, and the books are very well formatted.