Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #46
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
After a quick look, I like Stanza. It will be my first choice for reading epub on the iPad. The epub formatting looked fine, using Alice in wonderland as an example.

Pros:

The formatting and customization

Cons:

Must be connected to the Internet for the dictionary
Doesn't have page numbers

In regards to links, would links in books like discworld work?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #47
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiru View Post
Internal links. Like if you download any magazine from clibre , menus are not working.
I just tried a link in 3 men in a boat, and it seemed to work. But there doesn't seem to be a back. Is no back what you mean by not working?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #48
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
No paragraph indentation and spaces between paragraphs makes me feel I'm reading a PowerPoint slide or web page.

I still read quite a few paper books and when I read electronic books, I like them to look like their physical counterparts. It helps me get into the mood I'm reading a story and not blurbs of text. But that's just me, same with not liking black background and white text.

Stanza has a lot of features but the most important to me is a good reading experience and I have too many other options that can do that for me now.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #49
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
No paragraph indentation and spaces between paragraphs makes me feel I'm reading a PowerPoint slide or web page.
There's an adjustment slider in the "Layout" settings that allows you to set the paragraph indents to anything you like, within reason. Same for paragraph spacing.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #50
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Thank you! I asked before because I thought it must be possible but I just couldn't find it and I couldn't see how anyone liked a program that (seemed to) butcher epub files so badly.

Just needs svg cover support and maybe 2 page landscape mode and we have a winner.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #51
Bluebaize
Enthusiast
Bluebaize doesn't litterBluebaize doesn't litter

Device: iPad
I have always liked Stanza since I had it on my ipod touch, even though I always found reading a far from perfect experience (for me anyway) on the ipod.

Having not had Stanza on the ipad initially I got used to a few different apps, mainly iBooks, Goodreader and Arcreader

I find that while none of these apps do everything right for me in one package, I have got used to them and actually still prefer using this mix at present than the new Stanza. Thing is, I can't really put my finger on it why. (no pun intended)
Bluebaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:49 AM   #52
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero View Post
I tried to upload several .CBRs into Stanza through Itunes and they would not show up on the Ipad. These were regular American comics. So this must be a bug. If anyone gets it working, please let us know. I am using Cloud Reader now which is much better since the last patch.
I filed a bug report, and was hastily contacted by a Lexcycle dev who asked for details. Which I provided, of course. Now I'm waiting for his answer, and I'll keep this forum posted !
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #53
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
I find I slightly prefer iBooks to Stanza on the iPad, but given that Stanza is available for both iPad and iPhone there's scope for a killer feature - synchronization of current position between devices. If I could have the same book loaded on the two devices, and seamlessly move between them, I'd be sold.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #54
newrome
newrome began at the beginning.

Device: ipod Touch
Not sure why anyone would care about "connection" to ebook sources if the rendering of the page is wrong (at least in epub). As an epub reader it is extremely poor because it does not render CSS instructions properly. iBooks, on the other hand (which still has issues) is much closer to perfect in that regard. If you don't mind looking at books with improper formatting (Stanza even ignores basic stuff like font size instructions), then I guess it might be your epub reader of choice. Unfortunately, BN and Kobo readers also render epub incorrectly.
newrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:45 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have not tried the Kobo app. But the B&N iPad app is just a poorly written app. You use a nice theme and select the font you want from the list and all the book's styles go out the window.

I've been saying all along that Stanza is full of bugs and this version is no exception.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #56
nycbhoy
nycbhoy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Kindle
I second the idea for synchronization of bookmarks between devices.

I don't always have my iPad with me but always have my iPhone. If I'm reading a book on the iPad and then find myself stuck somewhere with some time to kill and only my iPhone, being able to fire up stanza and start reading where I left off on the iPad would be a KILLER feature.

Please make this happen!!!!
nycbhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #57
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
No mobipocket support? Back to bookshelf even if that scrolling isn't very usefull for newspapers.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #58
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by newrome View Post
Not sure why anyone would care about "connection" to ebook sources if the rendering of the page is wrong .
What books are you folks reading? I've read about 50 books in Stanza and never saw a problem.

If I cared about specific layout I'd read acrobat files. As it is, I'm quite hap to just pick the font and size that I want for myself.

Nonny
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #59
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Downloaded it on my girlfriend's iPad to check out. Seems like a nice app. Great to have access in app to Feedbooks, Gutenberg etc. as that was the one limitation of the iPad thus far--no easy way to get public domain books on the iPad. This solves that and saves having to drag them into iBooks in iTunes etc.

Feature wise, seemed fine. But I'm not a typography nerd or anything. Text is text to me. As long as I can change font size and adjust brightness in app, I don't need much else in an e-book app other than standards like bookmarks.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #60
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Downloaded it on my girlfriend's iPad to check out. Seems like a nice app. Great to have access in app to Feedbooks, Gutenberg etc. as that was the one limitation of the iPad thus far--no easy way to get public domain books on the iPad. This solves that and saves having to drag them into iBooks in iTunes etc.

Feature wise, seemed fine. But I'm not a typography nerd or anything. Text is text to me. As long as I can change font size and adjust brightness in app, I don't need much else in an e-book app other than standards like bookmarks.
? iBooks has loads of completely free PD books that you can download straight from the iBooks app.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, stanza