Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
bhs
bhs began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Question Anybody else feeling buyer's remorse with the 600 “Premium Cover”?

I got both 600 and a 600 premium cover. I was thinking that a cover is a must for 600, as I had 505 that came with a cover.

The longer I have my 600 the more I like to hold it without the premium cover .

The back of 600 has a clear rubber protection coat, which prevents slipperiness. The rounded corners and the simplicity of over all exterior design make holding the reader an enjoyable experience. The streamlined design of 600 apparently is catering to its touch capability thoughtfully. All those nice little attentions by Sony ! The feeling of holding 600 in my hand is much more satisfactory, compared with my one-week stand with 505 (505 has a better screen. No doubts!).

I still have a few weeks to decide if to keep the cover, and I am wondering how good the clutch case at Sonystyle.com is . Please share your experience if you got a clutch case. Anyone feeling that you like to take your 600 out of its cover?
bhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Cool

I got mine last night. Bought the cover at the same time and even put it in the cover before pluging it to charge (I had to take it off the cover to experience all you decribed )... I like the real-book feel the cover gives the reader.

Just for protection alone I will be keeping it on. Once the cover with light is available I might change it for that one.

Just my 2 cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs View Post
I got both 600 and a 600 premium cover. I was thinking that a cover is a must for 600, as I had 505 that came with a cover.

The longer I have my 600 the more I like to hold it without the premium cover .

The back of 600 has a clear rubber protection coat, which prevents slipperiness. The rounded corners and the simplicity of over all exterior design make holding the reader an enjoyable experience. The streamlined design of 600 apparently is catering to its touch capability thoughtfully. All those nice little attentions by Sony ! The feeling of holding 600 in my hand is much more satisfactory, compared with my one-week stand with 505 (505 has a better screen. No doubts!).

I still have a few weeks to decide if to keep the cover, and I am wondering how good the clutch case at Sonystyle.com is . Please share your experience if you got a clutch case. Anyone feeling that you like to take your 600 out of its cover?
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Something else I wanted to add...

I like how the outside of the 600 cover (on the left) is.

The inside of the 505 premium cover is better, imho, to the one for the 600. The 505 premium cover has a few pockets that work well for business cards and a passport.

Last edited by wachuko; 09-11-2009 at 08:21 AM.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
No remorse here, it was killing me that Sony took so long to get it in stores, but as soon as I got the yes they are in stock, I jumped all over it. I like the added protection, I like the flexibility that you could fold it back, I like look, and I like that I now have something to clip my book light to. It was particularly what I had wanted.

Here's the link to the photos.....

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55999
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
No remorse here. I thinks it's great.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
bhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Once the cover with light is available I might change it for that one.

Just my 2 cents...
wachuko, thanks for sharing your input on 505 premium cover!

I too am watching the cover with light. It is constantly backordered at Sonystyle.com. It was estimated for 9/15, but now it is 9/21
Old 09-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #7
bhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
I like that I now have something to clip my book light to. It was particularly what I had wanted.

Here's the link to the photos.....

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55999
What book light do you use to clip on the cover?
Can you share a few pictures of book light on the cover for your normal usage? I am particular interested by the position and direction of your book light when you are reading.

Thanks,
Old 09-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #8
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs View Post
What book light do you use to clip on the cover?
Can you share a few pictures of book light on the cover for your normal usage? I am particular interested by the position and direction of your book light when you are reading.

Thanks,

Sorry for the delay, just read this. The name of the light is Great Point Light, it was the same exact light Sony marketed for the 500/505. It folds up nicely within itself, very compact. The 2 LED's light the screen perfectly. I took the shot in daylight, the reflection on the screen is just angle.....this light illuminates the screen nicely for night time reading. This is the 3rd device I am using it on, and I couldn't be happier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light1.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	36320   Click image for larger version

Name:	light2.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	36321   Click image for larger version

Name:	light3.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	36322   Click image for larger version

Name:	light4.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	36323  
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Parallel topic--I just picked up the Sony premium cover for my 300 (same as the 600's except for size). I really like the 505's stock cover, and was kinda po'd that Sony didn't include a similar (inexpensive) cover for the 300 (or 600). The cover seems pretty much the same as the 505's--I believe it's leather, but the 505 non-leather one was fine and is wearing well.

That said, no regrets on the 300 premium cover--except that I had to pay for it! They should include a basic cover instead of a pouch. It folds over easily, is held closed lightly by magnets (like the 505 cover), is thin but seems sturdy enough to protect the 300. I noticed a few small scratches on the back of my 300 after a month of use. This foldable cover should prevent more. And the 300 still fits in my pocket with the cover on.

I definitely like this style of cover that has pins to snap onto the Reader spine. (I do NOT like the covers with the obtrusive and ugly corner straps--I have an unused M-Edge cover for the 505.) So, no regrets at all, and I'm sure I'll get enough use out of it to get over the 'price-gouging' strategy of Sony for not including a real cover. (I'm sure they got this idea to make a few extra $$$$ from the Kindle.)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:01 AM   #10
mmmkay
mmmkay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mmmkay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mmmkay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mmmkay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600
I had my cover for about 4 days before I got tired of having to fold it back and applying pressure to keep it folded - which tired my hand.

Also I noticed that the plastic holder was starting to separate from the leather, and the leather was wrinkling slightly from being folded back.

But it looks really nice when it's closed shut.

I actually returned both the case and the black PRS-600.. I have the silver one now
mmmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
I have the cover with the light, even posted up a review of it, I'm quite happy with the cover, the look, the feel of it when holding it for an extended period of time, the protection it gives my 600 and the light for viewing.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
shmrck
shmrck began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600 black + premium cover + cover w/ light
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
I have the cover with the light, even posted up a review of it, I'm quite happy with the cover, the look, the feel of it when holding it for an extended period of time, the protection it gives my 600 and the light for viewing.
I have both and must admit that premium cover (without light) is much more comfortable in hands and for transportation.
shmrck is offline   Reply With Quote