Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #61
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by komugi View Post
Hope this helps somewhat?
It helps very much. All good points to consider about the 600. Thank you!
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:22 AM   #62
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Only in the US, lowest price found at Fry's Red $229.00 (In store pickup only)
Walmart near me was blowing out 505's for $187
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2009, 04:26 AM   #63
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
why could they have not made a 505 with a stronger processor and skipped the touch screen? Thats all i want.
Since there is a non-touchscreen option in their new range and that the 700 wasn't released in many countries, sony presumably thought that the market for their midrange product would be bigger with a touchscreen than without, especially since it also helps to differentiate the range too.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #64
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
Since there is a non-touchscreen option in their new range and that the 700 wasn't released in many countries, sony presumably thought that the market for their midrange product would be bigger with a touchscreen than without, especially since it also helps to differentiate the range too.
It also helps them compete a bit more with Kindle on features. For those who want annotation and a dictionary but don't care about wireless the 600 is a very attractive option.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #65
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's just a shame that they (and pretty much everyone else) think that a touchscreen has to be used for everything, I would like the 600 better if those buttons along the bottom of the screen were as large as the area currently used for their icons since you could more readily use it without touching the screen when it wasn't necessary.
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #66
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Quote:
It's just a shame that they (and pretty much everyone else) think that a touchscreen has to be used for everything, I would like the 600 better if those buttons along the bottom of the screen were as large as the area currently used for their icons since you could more readily use it without touching the screen when it wasn't necessary.
I think it is the same idea process use for web applications -ie - if this app is good it will be only better if we put it on the web.

It is all to easy to over-engineer and over think a product - sometimes a paper clip is the best solution and in the case of ereaders anything that interferes with the clarity of the screen detracts rather than adds to the utility of the device.

A capacitive touch screen that is perfectly clear or the wacom layer like the Irex devices are fine as they do not detract from the screen, although my personal take is that having to use a stylus is not a good work flow and i rarely used it on my irex reader as it was more of pain to take it out and use it than to just scroll around.

If touch was the ultimate solution then tablet PC's would not have failed so miserably - I am not saying they do not have a place and a purpose, but they fall short in usability without the keyboard

Last edited by davidspitzer; 09-08-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #67
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Frankly, I like the touchscreen. I liked it with my ebw1150 and I like it with the 700. One of the reasons I did not purchase a Kindle was the exposed keyboard.

I wish the eink display on the 700 was as clear as the 505 but the reduced clarity was not that significant to me. Yes, the difference is clearly obvious when comparing the 505 and the 700, but when I'm sitting and reading, I'm not constantly thinking, "Gosh, this display is so much lighter than on the 505." In other words, I never notice the difference until I'm physically comparing them. I did physically compare the 700 and the 600 and the eink lettering is darker on the 600. The display is not as good as the 505 or the 300 but it is not so great that I would dissuade someone who likes the capabilities of the 600 from buying it.

Bottom line, anyone thinking of purchasing any of the Sony products should, if at all possible, go to a Sony distributor and check the devices out in person. An ebook reader is a highly personal and subjective purchase and completely depended upon the reader's needs.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:35 AM   #68
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Frankly, I like the touchscreen. I liked it with my ebw1150 and I like it with the 700. One of the reasons I did not purchase a Kindle was the exposed keyboard.

I wish the eink display on the 700 was as clear as the 505 but the reduced clarity was not that significant to me. Yes, the difference is clearly obvious when comparing the 505 and the 700, but when I'm sitting and reading, I'm not constantly thinking, "Gosh, this display is so much lighter than on the 505." In other words, I never notice the difference until I'm physically comparing them. I did physically compare the 700 and the 600 and the eink lettering is darker on the 600. The display is not as good as the 505 or the 300 but it is not so great that I would dissuade someone who likes the capabilities of the 600 from buying it.

Bottom line, anyone thinking of purchasing any of the Sony products should, if at all possible, go to a Sony distributor and check the devices out in person. An ebook reader is a highly personal and subjective purchase and completely depended upon the reader's needs.

KAZ you are absolutely right - for me its a deal breaker but for others its heaven. Don't take anyone's word for it go check it out yourself.

It's a matter of personal taste - I could eat pasta for every meal. My wife thinks pasta is disgusting (she's wrong of course, but I would never tell her that )
Old 09-09-2009, 05:00 AM   #69
Crowl
Wizard

I'm not actually against a touchscreen on the grounds of clarity, I have only seen the 600 in reviews so far and it seems fine to me, my objection to touchscreen is more of a general thing that applies to most companies when they introduce a touchscreen in that it becomes the sole means of interaction and they overlook the times when something else might be more appropriate e.g. using the 600 as an example if they had made those buttons at the bottom of the screen bigger then they could be used as easily as the touchscreen for somethings and would have the advantage of reducing the amount of fingerprints on the screen.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #70
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
KAZ you are absolutely right - for me its a deal breaker but for others its heaven. Don't take anyone's word for it go check it out yourself.

It's a matter of personal taste - I could eat pasta for every meal. My wife thinks pasta is disgusting (she's wrong of course, but I would never tell her that )
Ha! You never know, she could have joined MR under an assumed name and will now never serve you pasta again!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #71
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
I'm not actually against a touchscreen on the grounds of clarity, I have only seen the 600 in reviews so far and it seems fine to me, my objection to touchscreen is more of a general thing that applies to most companies when they introduce a touchscreen in that it becomes the sole means of interaction and they overlook the times when something else might be more appropriate e.g. using the 600 as an example if they had made those buttons at the bottom of the screen bigger then they could be used as easily as the touchscreen for somethings and would have the advantage of reducing the amount of fingerprints on the screen.
I have a Palm Pre smart phone. It's touch screen technology is different in that it is not based on touch detection, thus no stylus. To be honest, I don't remember exactly how it works and after doing a quick google, the information isn't readily available, but it works very well. It also has a slide down keyboard to make texting, web browsing, etc., easier and I like the fact that the keyboard is hidden away. It just looks neater (obviously my OCD is working overtime ).

As far as finger prints, smudges, etc., I would think any reader would have that problem, although, I rarely have an issue with smudges even with my 700.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #72
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
... (obviously my OCD is working overtime ).

As far as finger prints, smudges, etc., I would think any reader would have that problem, although, I rarely have an issue with smudges even with my 700.
My OCD is always in overdrive. I like my PRS-700 and the touch screen UI. I read all of these posts like "How can you leave greasy finger prints or smudges all over a touch screen?", but I refrain from rebutting any comments about my preferred choice of UI. I think in the last 10 months, I have cleaned my PRS-700 screen twice.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #73
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
I was amazed because I am a tad bit OCD :-) that when I got my iphone I figured I would clean the screen daily but I don't do that. Usually once a month.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #74
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
would have the advantage of reducing the amount of fingerprints on the screen.
Surprisingly (and I don't know how they pulled this off) no fingerprints and smudges are visible.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #75
kezza
Lowlife of the Party

Quote:
I'm not actually against a touchscreen on the grounds of clarity, I have only seen the 600 in reviews so far and it seems fine to me, my objection to touchscreen is more of a general thing that applies to most companies when they introduce a touchscreen in that it becomes the sole means of interaction and they overlook the times when something else might be more appropriate.
I agree. I would like a touchscreen for note taking, hilighting, even selecting books from the menu, but for turning pages I think the buttons on the side of the device, like the 505 has, make much more sense. Back when I read on a PDA I would almost always use the devices scroll button to change pages, not screen-tapping. The #1 thing I miss about those days, however, is the ability to hilight and take notes. I guess it just comes down to weighing what's most important for you.