Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
Anybody else feeling buyer's remorse with the 600?

I was all excited about the 600, but now that I've used it for a couple of days, I'm regretting the purchase.

I don't need note-taking abilities. I've never written or highlighted in a book before, and I won't do it in a digital book, either. I exclusively read for pleasure on my reader, so I don't need notes anyway. I got along fine without an on-board dictionary for years. I just liked the way the 600 looked - lured in by a pretty face.

I couldn't sleep last night, so I read for a few hours using my Mighty Bright clip-on. I found it harder to hold everything and still get my finger onto the screen to change the page. With my 505 and light wedge case, I had fine-tuned the way I held it so that I could keep one finger at the top of the book to hold the light wedge in place and keep my thumb on the page turn button. Reading was effortless.

I found myself constantly adjusting the position of the Mighty Bright last night. Constantly fidgeting everything around to change the page resulted in my cover getting bent (not a permanent bend, just a curve).

I asked my husband if he liked his 600, and he admitted that he didn't use the touch screen. He used the buttons to turn pages, but the button wasn't as convenient as on the 505. I think he did like the Might Bright clip-on better than the light wedge case.

I don't know what to do. I always like getting new things, but I've never regretted giving up the old one before like this. I guess I'll try it out a couple more days before I decide.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Well luckily you will have time to decide. I think they have a 30 day return policy. I don't have mine yet. Looks like I will get it tuesday now. But I won't regret purchasing it. The dictionary lookup I loved with the kindle. Writing handwritten notes might be neat sometimes but I am buying it for the touchscreen. I couldn't use the 700 and returned it do to lack of contrast but I really do not like paging through a book using a button. I have tendonitis and long periods of reading have been hard on my wrists. So a touchscreen giving me more the feel of a paperbook when turning pages is why I am upgrading.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
I'm not exactly having regrets but I am returning the 600. My problem is the display is still soft in appearance compared to the 300 and 505 and has considerably more glare as well. I ordered both the 300 and 600 so I could choose once I had them in hand. Unlike you I really like the touch screen interface but the display is more important to me. So the 600 is going back and I've now ordered a 505 to be just as sure which I'd prefer the 300 or the 505. It's a long and convoluted way of doing things but whichever one I end up with I want to have no lingering doubts. I really like the 300. I just want to be sure I don't like the 505's bigger screen better. Like you I really wanted to like the 600, just didn't work out that way.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
I've been very satisfied with mine. Although I dont use notes and annotations, its something that could come in handy. Disctionary has been handy....dont use it often, but when I need it, nice to know its there. Touch screen is great as I like being able to turn pages by swiping anywhere on the screen as opposed to 2 standard spots.

Anything REALLY new takes some getting used to....you'll be fine
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
I'm loving mine, minus the note thing I'm having issues with. Hopefully get that cleared up tomorow
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
I am! I decided to wait for the Daily Edition just in case I like it better and I am already having regrets! From what I've read, I am pretty sure I would enjoy the PRS-600 immensely. So many times I've wished I could take notes with my old PRS-500... But I suspect the screen of the Daily Edition will be a little bit better, so I am going to wait... if I am strong enough, lol
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I ordered a 600 because I do need to annotate the non-fiction books I read. The 505 will probably remain my most-used reader, because I'll use it for fiction.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
I'm not exactly having regrets but I am returning the 600. My problem is the display is still soft in appearance compared to the 300 and 505 and has considerably more glare as well
I don't get this. I really don't. What's with the 600 has more glare? That's wrong. The 600 has less glare then the 300 & 505. I saw them all in the sa,e store with the same bright store lights in the same spot/position and the 600 had the least glare of all. The 300 & 505 had about the same glare and it was noticeably more then the 600.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't get this. I really don't. What's with the 600 has more glare? That's wrong. The 600 has less glare then the 300 & 505. I saw them all in the sa,e store with the same bright store lights in the same spot/position and the 600 had the least glare of all. The 300 & 505 had about the same glare and it was noticeably more then the 600.
Wow! Why do you care so much? Maybe some people are using the wrong word and describing reflection as glare or something. In any event, there is something with the screen that several people haven't liked. These are people who actually bought one and tried it out for themselves and decided they don't like something about the screen - whatever they call it. I don't understand why you tell everybody that they are wrong in their opinion.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:03 AM   #10
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
JanetCinNC, have you thought about getting the new cover with the light that Sony will be selling for the PRS-600? That might help a little. Anyway, give it a few more day and if you don't like, return it. With the amount of money these things cost, you should at least feel that it's worth it.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:10 AM   #11
JanetCinNC
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
JanetCinNC, have you thought about getting the new cover with the light that Sony will be selling for the PRS-600? That might help a little. Anyway, give it a few more day and if you don't like, return it. With the amount of money these things cost, you should at least feel that it's worth it.
I thought about getting that case, but after talking with my husband, I went to SonyStyle and started the return process. He admitted that he didn't like the reader either, and we were both agreeing that we missed our 505s. The 600s are just so pretty! I just wished I liked them!
Old 08-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sorry to hear about your change of heart. You seemed so excited over the 600. I know you mentioned you liked the 505 better because you like the light wedge cover more and you didn't use any of the touch screen functions of the 600. I was wondering if the reflectiveness/contrast also had anything to do with your dislike of it?
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
JanetCinNC
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Sorry to hear about your change of heart. You seemed so excited over the 600. I know you mentioned you liked the 505 better because you like the light wedge cover more and you didn't use any of the touch screen functions of the 600. I was wondering if the reflectiveness/contrast also had anything to do with your dislike of it?
Yes, the reflectiveness was a big problem for me. My eyes found it hard to focus on the words through the reflections. I could only read using my clip-on light - that seemed to minimize the reflections. However, I found it very difficult to juggle everything so that I could use my finger to flip the page on the touch screen. I guess I could have used the page turn buttons to change the page, but why buy the new unit if I'm just going to turn pages with a button? Maybe it would have worked better for me if I got the new cover with light, but I really didn't want to spend another $60 for that only to discover I still didn't like the 600.

The contrast wasn't a problem as much as the reflections. Once I got everything lighted properly, the contrast seemed okay. I did notice that the 600 screen seemed grayer than my 505 screen. I also noticed ghosting on the 600 screen that I don't see on the 505 screen. It's much more like the old 500 screen in that respect. I especially noticed the ghosting if I turned the reader off while it was displaying the home menu. I could really see the after-image of the little squares of information of the home screen. I could also see ghost lines where the text had been when I turned it off while it was displaying a page of text.

I'm really disappointed. I REALLY wanted this thing, and I really want to like it. I just don't like it enough to justify the $300 when my red 505 is less than a year old.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #14
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for your wonderful response as always. I'm not surprised about the reflection being bothersome since from the picture you took, it looked really awful. It looked like trying to read on a mirror.

And don't feel too bad. The 505 is a wonderful piece of hardware. Perhaps Sony's problem is that they made such a great reader with the 505 it's been hard for them to find a way to raise the bar.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #15
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
glare
–verb (used without object)
4. to shine with or reflect a very harsh, bright, dazzling light.

sigh
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote