Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I need another mobipocket reader

Can anyone recommend a free mobipocket reader please? I need one which does not accept DRM so that I can test whether I have successfully removed DRM from my ebooks.

I know of
  • FBReader, but can't get it to install on my Windows XP desktop
  • ubook, but find it very hard to use and it doesn't read some definitely non DRM mobipocket ebooks

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
calibre can view mobipocket files, but only non-drm. that might work for your purposes.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
ondabeach
Groupie
ondabeach doesn't litterondabeach doesn't litter

Device: HTC touch Diamond, Ipaq 3115
Hi Alex,

I am developing a new reader for Win Mobile which is free of DRM. It uses rtf files so if you have removed the DRM on your books you can google a converter to convert them to rtf files and use ZuluReader. If you are interested you can download it here www.zuluexpress.com/software . My site is still very much under construction at the moment as I am concentrating on development of ZuluReader itself.

I am very keen for some people to try it out and give me some feedback.

Cheers,

Steve(ondabeach)
ondabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
ondabeach
Groupie

Ooops, I should have tested that link first. Go to my home page www.zuluexpress.com and follow the software link at the bottom.

Cheers,

Steve(ondabeach)
Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
calibre can view mobipocket files, but only non-drm. that might work for your purposes.
Thanks, Zelda. I know that Calibre will not convert DRM'd mobipocket, but was reluctant to use it's conversion application to check since if if the ebook is not DRM'd I'll end up with the book in another format that I don't need.

I'll go back to see if there is a read application without the conversion part.

Regards, Alex
Advert
Old 04-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondabeach View Post
Hi Alex,

I am developing a new reader for Win Mobile which is free of DRM. It uses rtf files so if you have removed the DRM on your books you can google a converter to convert them to rtf files and use ZuluReader. If you are interested you can download it here www.zuluexpress.com/software . My site is still very much under construction at the moment as I am concentrating on development of ZuluReader itself.
Thanks, Steve. I'll keep your program in mind, but don't really want to have to convert to rtf. I want a reader that will read a mobipocket file and complain if it's DRM'd

Regards, Alex
Old 04-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
ondabeach
Groupie

No worries Alex, good luck with the googling. If I hear of anything I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Steve.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, Zelda. I know that Calibre will not convert DRM'd mobipocket, but was reluctant to use it's conversion application to check since if if the ebook is not DRM'd I'll end up with the book in another format that I don't need.

I'll go back to see if there is a read application without the conversion part.

Regards, Alex
Just click the view button, or use the command ebook-viewer to launch the viewer
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just click the view button, or use the command ebook-viewer to launch the viewer
or import the book (slide the file onto the library pane) then type V (keyboard shortcut for View) while the book is highlighted in the library view. i love keyboard shortcuts.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Why not just open the book in Mobipocket on a computer/PDA that does not have a registered PID with Mobipocket? If the book opens, then the DRM is gone; if the book doesn't open, then it still has DRM in it. This is how I check.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:23 AM   #11
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Thanks, Kovid. That works.

Regards, Alex
Old 05-02-2009, 02:25 AM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
Why not just open the book in Mobipocket on a computer/PDA that does not have a registered PID with Mobipocket? If the book opens, then the DRM is gone; if the book doesn't open, then it still has DRM in it. This is how I check.
Thanks, ProfJulie. That's how I found which ebooks were still DRM'd when I tried to read them on my new Cybook. But I actually wanted to convert them all before the new Cybook arrived.

Regards, Alex
Old 05-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #13
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Thanks, ProfJulie. That's how I found which ebooks were still DRM'd when I tried to read them on my new Cybook. But I actually wanted to convert them all before the new Cybook arrived.

Regards, Alex
It is easy enough to check the properties of the books to find out if they are PID encrypted. All you need to do is
  • Open up Mobipocket on your computer,
  • Then view the eBooks (it will be a list of all the mobipocket books on your computer).
  • Highlight a book,
  • Right click your mouse button,
  • Select properties from the popup menu
  • Then select the Summary tab.

If the book is encrypted, you'll see "PID encrypted" on this screen; if the book is not encrypted, you'll see "non encrypted" on the screen.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks, Kovid. That works.

Regards, Alex
I browse the install folder and set up a short cut on my desktop to access the viewer directly. It is useful by itself.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #15
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
I also use this. I open it first in my pc or in a PDA. But I will try to use Steve's program.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote