Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Brilliant Idea for Amazon

(Not necessarily for the consumer!)
To help promote the Kindle, Amazon offers to give kindle copies of all books that you "trade in" to Amazon.

Kindle gets to "give away" electronic copies and get real copies they can sell.

The publishers would not, of course, care for this much. Heh.

I'd probably do it in most cases though, if just to thin out my book shelves. 700+ books at the moment.. most of which aren't available in ebook format, but some are.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:03 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think the best idea for Amazon is to remove all the DRM from their eBooks, offer all their eBooks in multiple formats (MS Reader, Mobipocket, LRF, ePub) and forget PDF and eReader. Then open up the eBooks for purchase by anyone.

That would be the best idea yet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 01:05 AM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Well, yeah.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:51 AM   #4
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
(Not necessarily for the consumer!)
To help promote the Kindle, Amazon offers to give kindle copies of all books that you "trade in" to Amazon.

Kindle gets to "give away" electronic copies and get real copies they can sell.

The publishers would not, of course, care for this much. Heh.

I'd probably do it in most cases though, if just to thin out my book shelves. 700+ books at the moment.. most of which aren't available in ebook format, but some are.
Additionally to publishers hating the idea, as they also hate the used book market in general, it also would likely cause a revolt among current used book sellers who sell on Amazon now. Amazon already makes enough off used book sales without the overhead of grading, storing and handling the used inventory. There are also sanitation issues. What if someone gets a book the dog peed on? Not going to make that person too happy. I can see the review of the book on the site not "Could not read book because Amazon's dog seems to have peed on it." It would be funny but not sure Amazon wants that sort of headache.

Personally I am with you, I would love such a deal. For now I just either donate my books to our library for their annual fund raiser sale, donate them to a couple local charity orgs where I know the books or funds go to actually helping someone or I sell them outright on ebay just for milk money.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:57 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
There are also sanitation issues. What if someone gets a book the dog peed on? Not going to make that person too happy.
Urine is not "insanitary". It's entirely sterile, in fact. It used to be used to clean wounds prior to the invention of antiseptics.

Of course, there may be other reasons why one would not wish to have a urine-soaked book (warping due to the liquid, or the smell of it) but "sanitation" is certainly not an issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Urine is not "insanitary". It's entirely sterile, in fact. It used to be used to clean wounds prior to the invention of antiseptics.

Of course, there may be other reasons why one would not wish to have a urine-soaked book (warping due to the liquid, or the smell of it) but "sanitation" is certainly not an issue.

You simply cannot help being the contrarian in addition insinuating yourself on every topic on the site can you?

In reality urine is only sterile if it is from a HEALTHY individual. It also becomes a fine growth medium for mycoses, molds and other fungal or bacterial pathogens. I mean if being absolutely accurate is so important to your need to be perceived as smarter than everyone else.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:20 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please don't be impolite. It's fine to disagree with peoples' opinions, but personal insults are NOT acceptable. We expect our members to behave with respect and courtesy towards others at all times.

Thank you,

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:26 AM   #8
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 03:53 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #9
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
I think it's a good move... And I'm glad to see that they're implementing something that I suggested last month on this forum .
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
My CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics still has an odor and stain from when my dog pissed on it 15 years ago! Never leave such a tome on the floor...
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
My CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics still has an odor and stain from when my dog pissed on it 15 years ago! Never leave such a tome on the floor...

Not forgetting, of course, that urine used to be used as a mordant (fixative) to prepare (woollen) clothing prior to accepting a dye ....

Sorry, back to topic .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Doing so would put Amazon in the book storage business... I doubt they'd want to get into that, it is contrary to their present business model.

Maybe if the books were sent directly from the e-book consumer to a third party... say, a library system, an already-in-business used books clearinghouse, or a place that was hard up for books for educational purposes. But Amazon would still have to rewrite the publishers' contracts to allow it to happen, and the system would be a bear to manage and track.

Personally, I can't see it being done, but I agree that the idea has potential.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Not forgetting, of course, that urine used to be used as a mordant (fixative) to prepare (woollen) clothing prior to accepting a dye ....

Sorry, back to topic .....
Back off topic:

When I was a teen and was taking sailing lessons you always used to hear that if you gut stung by a jelly fish someone should pee on it. Not sure if it was true or just a myth.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I have said several times that I would be willing to pay a "transform" fee plus my current pbooks to get a ebook version. My thought was perhaps $.25 a book would be the most I would be willing to go.

(Funny cause you have to pay iTunes $.30 for each song you want to re-download DRM free.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #15
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Back off topic:

When I was a teen and was taking sailing lessons you always used to hear that if you gut stung by a jelly fish someone should pee on it. Not sure if it was true or just a myth.

BOb
That's actually true.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote