Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Update 1.5 coming in January!

See Karels post here.

I'm waiting for this one...

Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This is worth quoting in full:
Quote:
Software Release v1.5 has been delayed from our expected target date December 2008. The software release 1.5 is currently in beta and we will the need for additional testing before commercial release, which is expected in early January 2009.

Upcoming Features / Enhancements SR v1.5

1. Advanced Power Management (Configurable Suspend to RAM timeout; device automatically suspends if not activity for x minutes and Configurable Automatic Shutdown after x minutes of no activity)
2. Configurable Toolbar (drag and drop) per application with 8 action icons
3. Lock sensors with click on lock
4. Page rendering performance improvements
5. Improve speed of closing documents
6. [Mobipocket] Support image hyperlink: show image on a full page
7. [Mobipocket] Implement cover page
8. Built-in font support basic Russian, Arabic, Greek, East-European characters

In addition to the above there will be a number of minor enhancements and bug fixes. More information will be announced with the official release date.
All these new features look worthwhile, not just the APM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Gogolo,
Thanks for letting us know. It is worth looking forward to indeed.

Best Regards
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #4
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Advanced Power Management (Configurable Suspend to RAM timeout; device automatically suspends if not activity for x minutes and Configurable Automatic Shutdown after x minutes of no activity)
Is this what they originally suggested or something new?

I don't really want it shutting down automatically.

I just wanted a suspend to ram and suspend to flash.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Is this what they originally suggested or something new?

I don't really want it shutting down automatically.

I just wanted a suspend to ram and suspend to flash.
You will have some options it appears:

1. You can set it to "suspend" after a few minutes. This will likely save everything into ram and put it in a low power state. It will also probably retain what's on the screen. Then, when you press the next page button, it will wake up and move to the next page in a matter of seconds.

2. You can (optionally) set it to shut down after a period you determine.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Gogolo
Addict

Quote:
It will also probably retain what's on the screen. Then, when you press the next page button, it will wake up and move to the next page in a matter of seconds
I dont know how the other readers do it, but should it not work like this: User turns page, reader goes to suspend, user reads ... user hits a button, reader wakes up (in a fraction of a second) turns page and sleeps again.

I expected it like this...

If it needs some seconds (plural) then will it be useful?

Gogolo
Old 12-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
I dont know how the other readers do it, but should it not work like this: User turns page, reader goes to suspend, user reads ... user hits a button, reader wakes up (in a fraction of a second) turns page and sleeps again.

I expected it like this...

If it needs some seconds (plural) then will it be useful?

Gogolo
Keep in mind this is mostly speculation.

But I'm pretty sure this is how most other readers do it. If after letting your device sit for a half an hour, are you going to complain that the first time you turn a page, it takes an extra 3 seconds?

As long as the time it takes before it goes into suspend is more than the time it takes for you to read a page, I don't think it would interfere with normal reading.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Gogolo
Addict

Ah, okay, then I always thought the wrong way. This means: When I do a page turn every minute even the PRS500 will be empty after some hours?

Thanks for your explanation.

Gogolo
Old 12-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

I don't have a sony (or anything but an iRex) device, so I can't be sure.

I suspect this is the way it works.

If it does operate turn page/suspend immediately/turn page, then the operating system and running programs would have to be very lightweight to be stored and retrieved from memory so quickly.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
Gogolo
Addict

I just searched a bit in the forum about that:
Quote:
The Sony allows you to put the device in standby mode when not reading. Coming out of standby mode takes less than 2 seconds. I use standby mode exclusively and only need to charge the battery once every 3 weeks (about 1 hour of reading a day).
here

Ok. It is not a fraction of a second.

Gogolo
Old 12-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
There was discussion of this in a earlier thread, see i to i Blog from iRex about issues. I was sceptical, but others thought that suspend to ram could work between page turns. Based on the current description (x minutes, not seconds, of inactivity, and about 1 second to return) this does not seem to be the case. I agree with you that without "between page turn suspend" the battery life won't be extended by very much during normal reading. I don't see how iRex is ever going to get to Karel's "battery life will effectively be several days" target. I guess they are assuming 1-2 hours per day reading.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Keep in mind this is mostly speculation.

But I'm pretty sure this is how most other readers do it. If after letting your device sit for a half an hour, are you going to complain that the first time you turn a page, it takes an extra 3 seconds?
Continuing the speculation. I agree that this is how it will work, but on the DR1000S suspend to RAM will only reduce the power consumption by a factor of 3 (an 8 hr battery is extended to 24 hrs). The suspend-to-Flash (hibernate mode) is the most similar, in power consumption, to what other devices do. It won't be in the 1.5 release but it will allows days of battery life, when idle with a 15 second wake up time. Nothing iRex is doing is apparently increasing the 8 hours reading time. It will decrease the pain if this reading time is spread over days.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #13
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Nothing iRex is doing is apparently increasing the 8 hours reading time. It will decrease the pain if this reading time is spread over days.
I agree with that.

To me these power improvements will be very useful. I have my DR1000 sitting on my desk all day. I use it to take notes and read documents as needed. 75% of the time, it's going unused. The power management improvements will help in this situation.

Given that I think the DR is marketed more toward people like me (business people, document readers), than hardcore book readers, I would assume this is what they are trying to achieve.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #14
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The suspend-to-Flash (hibernate mode) is the most similar, in power consumption, to what other devices do. It won't be in the 1.5 release but it will allows days of battery life, when idle with a 15 second wake up time.
Does anyone know why this was ditched from this update?
Old 12-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #15
omro
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I have my DR1000 sitting on my desk all day. I use it to take notes and read documents as needed. 75% of the time, it's going unused.
Mine is on my desk next to my laptop all day too, but I tend to leave it tethered to the laptop.