Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #46
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Ah, but that was when .50 was actually almost worth .50. A stamp had just risen to about 7 cents as I recall but I remember when it was on 3 cents for first class. You can't equate 1968 prices to today. Do you still make the wages you did in 1968 and every year since that time?

Dale
Dale, I did take inflation into account.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #47
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
From the Amazon forums:
Says who?
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #48
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
A fifty cent paperback in my misspent youth would cost me roughly $3.50 today. I figure the fair price for an ebook is about a buck US.

So, to get the entire Nero Wolfe canon legally should cost me under a hundred bucks. Which I would gladly pay for good formatting, covers, etc. Without DRM. In a portable format. Until the publishers get a clue I choose the darknet.

BTW, I still own Nero Wolfe paperbacks that I purchased as a teen. I'm not going to pay eleven bucks for something that cost me .50 cents in 1968.
I will if I can get it in an eBook. I have run out of room for my PBacks & Hardbounds.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #49
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
Says who?
Not sure what you're asking.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:04 AM   #50
adamjury
adamjury began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505R
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post
Is any book that good ?
Any book? Hell yes. Any novel? Fewer, but still, yes. Any ebook? Maybe not now ... but when the technology gets better, the wider variety of ebooks being available will certainly mean that titles worth >$20 will become available. I buy print books that cost $40+ on a regular basis, and I'd buy them as ebooks if the hardware was up to displaying them [in terms of color and screen size.]

However, I think that it's clear that some books, to some people, are worth far more to those same books are to other people. Books don't have an objective value, which is why pricing books -- especially in the various ebook and other electronic formats -- is so difficult.
adamjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #51
jazz_jeff
jazz_jeff began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
In other words... "we want to find out how much we can rip you off and have you still come back for more".
That sounds just about right!
jazz_jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #52
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
A book is worth what you're willing to pay for it.

I buy $75.00 oversized hardcover comic books without batting an eye. However an eBook I just want to read once isn't worth more than $10 to me, and I'd rather pay $6-7 for it. The way I see it, the publishers are right to say they need to figure out the most appropriate pricing for eBooks. Unfortunately, many are going in the wrong direction. EBooks are disposable reading just like paperbacks and should be priced accordingly.

HarperCollins tried something, it didn't work. Hopefully next time they may realize the real money is below the $9.99 price point and stay there.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:49 AM   #53
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I think the "worth" of a book depends on the format of the media and how long you will have it.

A nice hard cover is certainly worth more than the same book as a MMP.

For an ebook, one with DRM is worth less because you are basically renting it. If you look at movies you can rent the DVD for $3 or you can buy it for $12. So, I would be willing to pay a bit more for DRM free ebooks than those with DRM. Although these days DRM is pretty easy to remove.

The bottom line, as someone said is that books are worth what someone will pay for it. If people will pay $12 for an ebook then that will be the price. What I expect will happen is that the price will be based on how close it is to the release date. Perhaps for the first month the book's price is $19.99. Then after that it goes down to $12.00 for about 3 months, then it goes down to $9.99 for maybe a year. After that it goes down more. So, back catalog books should cost maybe $3 or so.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #54
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think the "worth" of a book depends on the format of the media and how long you will have it.

A nice hard cover is certainly worth more than the same book as a MMP.

For an ebook, one with DRM is worth less because you are basically renting it. If you look at movies you can rent the DVD for $3 or you can buy it for $12. So, I would be willing to pay a bit more for DRM free ebooks than those with DRM. Although these days DRM is pretty easy to remove.

The bottom line, as someone said is that books are worth what someone will pay for it. If people will pay $12 for an ebook then that will be the price. What I expect will happen is that the price will be based on how close it is to the release date. Perhaps for the first month the book's price is $19.99. Then after that it goes down to $12.00 for about 3 months, then it goes down to $9.99 for maybe a year. After that it goes down more. So, back catalog books should cost maybe $3 or so.

BOb
How about

Hardcover and ebook get published at the same time
The price of the hardcover-- whatever.
Price of the ebook : the price of the paperback to be published later.
Hardcovers will always sell to collectors, ()
so there is a good chance that the publishers won't lose sales there.
Owners of reading devices will buy the ebook now rather than
next year and may be willing to pay the paperback price for the ebook so they don't have to wait for the ebook and paperback release. Basically the same advantage that the hardback buyer has. Giving an earlier return on investment for the pub. and the writer as well. DRM? Like pilotbob says : "these days DRM is pretty easy to remove."
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #55
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
The way I see it, I have ebooks so when I die, my family won't have to wade through piles of books to clean out my home. I already have piles of DVDs, comics, books I will never get rid of and cloths. I look at my home and say to myself, "do you need all this stuff?" I will not always have a Kindle but I will always have a computer of some kind. So far I have not deleted any of the ebooks that I purchased off Fictionwise or Amazon but I don't see them having a life after I'm gone. Technology is moving quite fast these days. The current business models are having a very hard time of it. They will always try to get the most for what they provide, it's always been that way and the market will either take it or crush them. We can always say we remember when a paperback was under a buck but a slice of pizza was 10 cents and I could go to the movies for 50 cents (double feature). A book is worth exactly what you are willing to pay for it. Only people with a lot of surplus income will pay $25 for a novel in ebook. Most people I know will just go to the library or wait for the reseller market or cheap paperback edition.

I think the old-type publishing houses will begin to go out of business if that hasn't already begun to happen.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:41 AM   #56
meredithwh
meredithwh knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'meredithwh knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'meredithwh knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'meredithwh knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'meredithwh knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'meredithwh knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'meredithwh knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'meredithwh knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'meredithwh knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'meredithwh knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'meredithwh knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
There is a good deal of work involved in producing e-books -- preparing them in all the differetn formats, after the usual editing etc etc -- but without the warehousing and distribution costs, etc of tree books, there is no real excuse for high prices on e-books. Other than trying to rip off the consumer.
meredithwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #57
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wouldn't you hate to have that job? I mean being the person who has to explain to readers day after day why the company you work for is charging $15 or $20 for a digital file. That would be hard to take. I wonder if employees are leaving the big 5 out of frustration...or a sense of doom.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:02 AM   #58
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
reading this thread has given me the urge to head on over to baen and buy another of their reasonably priced ebooks that are also available in multiple formats. and then maybe head on over to harper collins and let them know why i bought today's ebook from baen.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:23 AM   #59
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by meredithwh View Post
There is a good deal of work involved in producing e-books -- preparing them in all the differetn formats, after the usual editing etc etc -- but without the warehousing and distribution costs, etc of tree books, there is no real excuse for high prices on e-books. Other than trying to rip off the consumer.
I disagree. Except for scanning and converting older printed books, all books made today are written with word processors and already exist in digital format which is how publishers evaluate and edit them for either eBook or pBook distribution. Virtually all formatting, even with embedded images, is done automatically, so there is no additional work or time needed by publishers to offer an eBook. Even your eBook reader formats the text on the fly to fit its screen.

Publishers are losing profit on pBooks (mostly paperbacks) as eBook sales increase and pBook sales drop accordingly. There is more profit in an eBook at the same price as a pBook because they aren't providing paper, printing, binding, transportation and shelf space, so an eBook should not cost as much as a pBook. Actually there would be more format editing for a pBook than an eBook because of the fixed page dimensions. I will NOT pay a pBook price for an eBook.

Last edited by mldavis2; 10-30-2010 at 07:25 AM.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #60
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
I never purchased new release books (especially hardcover) because I thought the prices were outrageous. Nor did it make any sense for me financially considering how fast I go through books. My favorite haunts for books were Half Price Books and thrift stores, and I was willing to pay up to $10 for something I really wanted (say a good cookbook --cooking is a hobby of mine). Now that I've gone to ebooks, I find myself balking at spending more than $5. Maybe I'm just a cheapskate.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
digg.com, ebook pricing, harpercollins