Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #76
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Jr. View Post
Another one bites the dust...I was doing some web surfing a little over an hour ago, and stopped to watch a television program. At that time the battery level for my Fire read 89%. Upon attempting to start it again now, there is no response at all, and plugging the charger in produces no light at all, orange, green, or otherwise. I'm hoping this is a temporary glitch, and I'll be contacting Amazon on Monday if things don't resolve themselves, but not a very joyful feeling right now since this is the first time in several days I've had enough down time to play/explore with it very much.

P.S. WiFi was off, and no apps that I could tell were running.
Interesting.

I would exchange, like I did, just in case. I have had no problems after that.

I can be wrong, but power issues are sometimes hardware related, so if happened now, there is a chance will happen later, if the unit is defective of course.

Just my 2 cents.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #77
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Interesting.

I would exchange, like I did, just in case. I have had no problems after that.

I can be wrong, but power issues are sometimes hardware related, so if happened now, there is a chance will happen later, if the unit is defective of course.

Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, I think I'm leaning in that direction. Did you do anything besides a factory reset before sending back to make sure everything you wanted off the device was off?
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #78
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman Jr. View Post
Yeah, I think I'm leaning in that direction. Did you do anything besides a factory reset before sending back to make sure everything you wanted off the device was off?
Well, I left the Fire charging and forget about it for a few hours ;-) when I touch it again, was charged and alive.

I bought it on Target, so I just went there and exchange. Zero questions.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #79
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Well, I left the Fire charging and forget about it for a few hours ;-) when I touch it again, was charged and alive.

I bought it on Target, so I just went there and exchange. Zero questions.
And you have not had the same issue with the second one?

Sounds like there may be a battery or hardware issue with some units.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #80
jocampo
Layback feline

Hi Kenny,

No, no issues with second one.

Yeah. I am afraid is a hardware, not a software issue. That's why I am recommending exchange. If the problem is hardware, won't improve over the time. Remain the same or even get worse. Better return now and get a different unit.
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #81
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Kenny,

No, no issues with second one.

Yeah. I am afraid is a hardware, not a software issue. That's why I am recommending exchange. If the problem is hardware, won't improve over the time. Remain the same or even get worse. Better return now and get a different unit.
I'm wondering if some of the batteries were bad....sure sounds like a battery or charging problem. The charge percentage is what is confusing.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #82
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
My KF died last week as well. I called CS and my Exchange unit is due to me on Monday (12/19/2011).

Here is the thread where I discussed my issue:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161051

Before mine died, it tried to force a full shotdown but I clicked cancel instead to keep playing with it.

Maybe, when a full shutdown is suggested by the software, we had better confirm it and start charging it for four hours. I was also using Badass Battery Monitor. I had been keeping it only in Sleep Mode for the entire 4 days of that battery cycle. Perhaps, a Shut Down every evening is necessary to keep the battery up to par. My battery meter showed the level at 19% right before it died.

After mine died, holding the start button for 20 seconds, connecting it to the powered charger or the PC did not even result in the light coming on. I had already upgraded to version 6.2.

One other bit of information:

The first 8 digits of my dead Kindle Fire serial number was: D01E B0A0.

The first 8 digits of my new, replacement Kindle Fire serial number is: D01E C0A0.

It appears there is a major, hardware version run difference between the two from those two numbers.

For those whose KF's died, what was the first 8 digits of your serial number? You can get it from the KF or from your account page at Amazon under "Managing Your Kindles."

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-17-2011 at 04:12 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #83
kennyc

F!! My Fire just died!

I was using it last night, plugged it in (as usual) to charge this morning and it came on (as usual). I unplugged it and took it upstairs and now it will not come on....

Old 12-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #84
kennyc

Okay so....now....after plugging it back in to its charger -- trying holding down the power button for 30 seconds, trying plugging it in to the computer ... all with no results....I tried plugging it in to my K2 charger (and same cable I connect to computer) and it came on. Now if I plug it back to its own charger the green light comes on and its working normally....wtf!!!

I'll let it slide this once, since it is working and keep an eye on it. If it happens again, time to get it replaced.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-18-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:34 AM   #85
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Welcome !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
F!! My Fire just died!

I was using it last night, plugged it in (as usual) to charge this morning and it came on (as usual). I unplugged it and took it upstairs and now it will not come on....

Welcome to the club. I strongly suspect everyone, whose 16 digit serial number starts with D01E B0A0, is eventually going to get the brick.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #86
kennyc

No, I saw your post earlier and no, that is not my serial number, and please note above that it now is working normally again....but....

Yours never came back on?

Last edited by kennyc; 12-18-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #87
sirmaru
Wizard

Exchanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
No, I saw your post earlier and no, that is not my serial number, and please note above that it now is working normally again....but....

Yours never came back on?
I did not try an overnight charge but called CS immediately as soon as the light did not come on when I connected it to the powered charger.

Next time, if it happens again, I'll try the overnight charge before giving up.

I expect my new Fire to arrive tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #88
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I did not try an overnight charge but called CS immediately as soon as the light did not come on when I connected it to the powered charger.

Next time, if it happens again, I'll try the overnight charge before giving up.

I expect my new Fire to arrive tomorrow.
thank you. hope the new one is perfect!
Old 12-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #89
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Welcome to the club. I strongly suspect everyone, whose 16 digit serial number starts with D01E B0A0, is eventually going to get the brick.
Really, you think? That would be an awful lot of kindles! Now I'm curious what SN everyone has.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #90
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Really, you think? That would be an awful lot of kindles! Now I'm curious what SN everyone has.
Mine is an A0A0 was in the first shipment out as far as I know.