Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
imanlhakim
imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ 1950 and PRS-500
Unhappy Poor Indonesian

Hi all, I'm Iman from Indonesia, I just spent all my money to buy PRS-500 from USA, it cost me US$440 including tax and shipping. now I don’t know how to use it, I cann’t access www.connect.com because I’m from Indonesia and almost all my pdf book in A4/letter format that not easy to read in PRS-500. . any suggestion.
imanlhakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanlhakim View Post
Hi all, I'm Iman from Indonesia, I just spent all my money to buy PRS-500 from USA, it cost me US$440 including tax and shipping. now I don’t know how to use it, I cann’t access www.connect.com because I’m from Indonesia and almost all my pdf book in A4/letter format that not easy to read in PRS-500. . any suggestion.
If your PDF books are all text, you can load them into Book Designer to convert to LRF. While you'll lose your attributes, you can use the PDF on the computer to find your attributes and put them back into the Book Designer copy. You can find info about Book Designer at the MobileRead Book Designer wiki page.

Also there are the free books posted here at MobileRead you can download for your Reader.

Also, the correct URL for the Connect site is http://ebooks.connect.com and to purchase books there, you can use your Sony credit. All you do is when you install Connect and register, check that you are in the US and then activate your Reader and it will give you the credit to purchase some books.

Also if you have any HTML based content, you can use html2lrf part of the Libprs500 package to convert HTML into LRF.

There is one other solution, there is PDFrasterFarian you can use to make your PDF more readable. Can't say it'll work as well as you want. But it us another option.

Good Luck!
Jon
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2007, 11:12 AM   #3
scottcstoness
Enthusiast
scottcstoness began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is one other solution, there is PDFrasterFarian you can use to make your PDF more readable. Can't say it'll work as well as you want. But it us another option.

Good Luck!
Jon
While PDFrasterFarian is a bit slow (e.g. takes a fair bit of background processing time), I've found that it does tend to make the PDFs I've tried it on much more readable than the native PDFs dumped on to the reader, and is quite viewable in landscape mode. Your mileage may vary, of course, and I've only used the program for a few books, but I've been quite happy with it overall.

Note that if you have other electronic books in .lit format, for example, there are documented ways to turn .lit into either .rtf (quite quickly with CLit and Open Office) or .lrf (using BookDesigner), and get them onto the reader.

Cheers,

ScS
scottcstoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I just remembered a little gem that was mentioned some time back, don't remember who's idea it was, or I'd give them direct credit. So anyway, just know I'm not claiming it as my idea.

If you have or set up a gmail account you can e-mail yourself your PDF files and your gmail box will let you view them as HTML, with all the italics, bolding and such more or less intact. From there, converting it for the Reader is trivial, HTML2LRF has already been mentioned, saving the thing as an HTML file and then converting to RTF with Word or Open Office is no challenge. And popping it into the also aforementioned BookDesigner is also a simple matter.

I expect there might be some reformatting needed with this method, but it should be a lot less than otherwise.

I had forgotten about it, since I don't use PDFs much myself.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Oh, yeah! Welcome to MobileRead, imanlhakim!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I just remembered a little gem that was mentioned some time back, don't remember who's idea it was, or I'd give them direct credit. So anyway, just know I'm not claiming it as my idea.

If you have or set up a gmail account you can e-mail yourself your PDF files and your gmail box will let you view them as HTML, with all the italics, bolding and such more or less intact. From there, converting it for the Reader is trivial, HTML2LRF has already been mentioned, saving the thing as an HTML file and then converting to RTF with Word or Open Office is no challenge. And popping it into the also aforementioned BookDesigner is also a simple matter.

I expect there might be some reformatting needed with this method, but it should be a lot less than otherwise.

I had forgotten about it, since I don't use PDFs much myself.
Yes it works, but if the attachment is too large, you'll only get some of it and you'll still need to edit every page to remove the excess junk.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
tapf!
Enthusiast
tapf! began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I use xpdf or Acrobat Reader to export the books to TXT. Then I copy them directly to the Reader because the results as LRF from BookDesigner is ugly.

Grüße

Fabian
tapf! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapf! View Post
I use xpdf or Acrobat Reader to export the books to TXT. Then I copy them directly to the Reader because the results as LRF from BookDesigner is ugly.

Grüße

Fabian
I don't find the results from Book Designer to be ugly. How can a plain text file be better?

Does xpdf output with the styles (italic, bold, etc.)?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 PM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanlhakim View Post
If you're looking for book formatted for the Sony Reader, you can also try Feedbooks.
There's already quite a nice choice of public domain books (easy to browse with our filters, there's recommendation for similar books on every book's page etc...).
We also have amateur books (I highly recommend this one: http://www.feedbooks.com/share/view_book/120 ) and it's also possible to turn multiple RSS feeds into a unique file for your daily dose of nfos.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 PM   #10
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
Iman,

I spent three years in Indonesia (Balikpapan) and I can understand the frustration you are having. Many US sites will block a IP address originating in Indonesia because they think it is spam, scam, philfing, etc. I had to convince my online bank and a retail site that yes, I was in Indonesia, I was not being held captive and being forced to access my account at gun point. I think it is totally unacceptable and a perfect example of corporate racism. Stick with this forum and the good people here will have you awash in great reading material in no time.

Hughdal
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:32 AM   #11
imanlhakim
imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imanlhakim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ 1950 and PRS-500
Thanks

Thanks for your support, I am trying all your suggestions and hopping SPR not a big waste.
imanlhakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Don't forget, guys, RSaunders compiled a nice list of sources for Sony books beyond Connect.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:57 PM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Iman,
Do have a look at the book upleads section of this forum, where you can find many interesting books and they are all free.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote