Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2007, 04:46 AM   #1
minty
minty began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Vista 64bit

Hello

has anyone managed to install the sony soft a a vista 64 it setup, I get error messages from the install

I don't expect the software to be a fully 64bit soft, not much is anyway on the market these days but this is the first program that I can't even install, which is quite strange

Sony replied to the question but with a standard message saying that they have no version 64bit now or in the near future .....
minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:06 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The USB drivers for Connect are only available as 32-bit drivers, hence won't run. It should be possible to get the Connect viewer running, but it won't talk to the Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:17 AM   #3
minty

No I can't even get the soft to install which is quite strange; just get an error message say that the install was not completed,
Old 07-03-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Minty, you have two solutions. Uninstall Vtisa 64-bit and install Vista 32-bit or dual boot with Vista 32-bit or XP 32-bit. Sony does not have a device driver that works in 64-bit mode. So no matter what you try, it won't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:41 AM   #5
minty

Hello

thanks for your advice, but Vista 64bit is running just great, its a shame that the Sony connect is the ONLY program that I am unable to install, games, and all other programs work just fine, I shall install this program on one of my other computers still running XP
Old 07-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
Reiff
Reiff began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Hey,
I had the same problem on Vista 32-bit version. After some digging I think the problem is Vista's Data Execution Prevention. If this is turned on in Vista, Connect Reader will not start. In 32-bit Vista, this is usually turned off. I think in 64-bit Vista, the default is on. To turn it off, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced system setting, Settings, Data Execution Prevention. Either turn off DEP or add an exception for Sony's CONNECT reader.exe.

Hope this helps!
Reiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:47 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiff View Post
Hey,
I had the same problem on Vista 32-bit version. After some digging I think the problem is Vista's Data Execution Prevention. If this is turned on in Vista, Connect Reader will not start. In 32-bit Vista, this is usually turned off. I think in 64-bit Vista, the default is on. To turn it off, go to Control Panel, System, Advanced system setting, Settings, Data Execution Prevention. Either turn off DEP or add an exception for Sony's CONNECT reader.exe.

Hope this helps!
I'm afraid that won't help. The issue is that the Connect USB driver is 32-bit only, and won't run under 64-bit Vista (or XP).
Old 07-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
Bitgod
Enthusiast
Bitgod began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / PRS-600 / iPhone 3G
Eh, I installed a dual-boot for XP 32 just in case anyway, as it ends up, I need it for the reader and for my iphone anyway. Too bad these big corporations don't have the resources to do a little programming.
Bitgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
So you're saying that the iPhone won't work on 64 Bit Vista either?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:48 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't believe iTunes works on 64-bit XP/Vista, no.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #11
CatDaddy
CatDaddy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't believe iTunes works on 64-bit XP/Vista, no.
iTunes does work on 64-bit Vista although I can't vouch for the iPhone. My 5th gen. video iPod works on 64-bit Vista without any tweaks. I tried to disable UAC and driver verification for the Sony Connect software on my machine without any success. I finally broke down and installed VMWare with a Windows XP VM and installed the Sony Reader on it (and my old HP Scanner that won't work in Vista) By the way, Microsoft Virtual PC does not support USB, found out the hard way on that one.
CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:58 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thank you - I happily stand corrected on that one!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDaddy View Post
iTunes does work on 64-bit Vista although I can't vouch for the iPhone. My 5th gen. video iPod works on 64-bit Vista without any tweaks. I tried to disable UAC and driver verification for the Sony Connect software on my machine without any success. I finally broke down and installed VMWare with a Windows XP VM and installed the Sony Reader on it (and my old HP Scanner that won't work in Vista) By the way, Microsoft Virtual PC does not support USB, found out the hard way on that one.
The problem with Connect is that the driver is only 32-bit. So disabling this or turning on that will not work. The USB driver for Connect has to be 64-bit to work on 64-bit Vista.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:50 AM   #14
Bitgod
Enthusiast
Bitgod began at the beginning.

Device: iPad / PRS-600 / iPhone 3G
itunes 7.2 works fine in Vista 64, but itunes 7.3, which is the version that adds the iphone drivers, will not install, it'll give an error. Haven't tried 7.31, but I haven't seen anyone say it was fixed, so I haven't bothered trying.
Bitgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:10 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

May well be that the iPhone driver is currently only 32-bit, by the sound of it. I'm running 7.31 on several 32-bit XP systems here without problems.