Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #46
jotas
Connoisseur
jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jotas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: who knows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
I was all excited about the 600, but now that I've used it for a couple of days, I'm regretting the purchase.

I don't need note-taking abilities. I've never written or highlighted in a book before, and I won't do it in a digital book, either. I exclusively read for pleasure on my reader, so I don't need notes anyway. I got along fine without an on-board dictionary for years. I just liked the way the 600 looked - lured in by a pretty face.

I couldn't sleep last night, so I read for a few hours using my Mighty Bright clip-on. I found it harder to hold everything and still get my finger onto the screen to change the page. With my 505 and light wedge case, I had fine-tuned the way I held it so that I could keep one finger at the top of the book to hold the light wedge in place and keep my thumb on the page turn button. Reading was effortless.

I found myself constantly adjusting the position of the Mighty Bright last night. Constantly fidgeting everything around to change the page resulted in my cover getting bent (not a permanent bend, just a curve).

I asked my husband if he liked his 600, and he admitted that he didn't use the touch screen. He used the buttons to turn pages, but the button wasn't as convenient as on the 505. I think he did like the Might Bright clip-on better than the light wedge case.

I don't know what to do. I always like getting new things, but I've never regretted giving up the old one before like this. I guess I'll try it out a couple more days before I decide.
Hello,

Your's is a very good description why I will not buy or upgrade to 600.

Specially display and reading quality is a top, no-discussion-possible for me.

Don't worry, return your 600 ir you didn't like it and feel comfortable with 505. Only if the readers are returned or not selling, Sony will consider release in future better readers, if any!

Thanks! Regards!

Last edited by jotas; 09-05-2009 at 01:18 PM.
jotas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #47
bhs
bhs began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
And if your implying that I shouldn't reply because his post wasn't directed to me then why don't you walk the walk and follow your own advice?
hmmm ... I do not see my prior single sentance "imply" the sort of thing above.
Perhaps, there are hidden assumptions I don't know.
The "if" clause above is definitely false from my view.

By the way, I got my 600 2 days ago and am happy with it so far.
bhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #48
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
I have a DX and it's PDF handling is kind of a mixed bag. Amazon opted to go on the cheap and purchase the lowest cost license they could get from Adobe. As such there are no zoom capabilities or ability to increase text size. So you're at the mercy of the original file. Some are rendered quite nicely. Others simply too small with no ability to make adjustments. Manuals and technical publications provided by publishers in PDF format look quite nice on the DX. Most brochure type documents down loaded from the web tend to fall in the too small category. So it's suitability for you will depend on your application/expectations. Amazon does offer a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee which may be the best way for you to evaluated it's capabilities/deficiencies.
i can crop all my pdfs in acrobat pro so the take up the maximum amount of screen - if i can read them in landscape on the 505 (which has no zoom) they should be loads better on the dx
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:36 PM   #49
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
I might be very well returning my PRS-600 in favor of my older PRS-700.. I'll give it a few more days and see.
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #50
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
i can crop all my pdfs in acrobat pro so the take up the maximum amount of screen - if i can read them in landscape on the 505 (which has no zoom) they should be loads better on the dx
What program do you use to crop your pdfs?
Old 09-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #51
Ann O Nimity
Ann O Nimity began at the beginning.

Device: eb1100
I want to thank everyone who posted opinions in this thread. I have been considering upgrading to the PRS 600 but after reading all the conflicting opinions, I think I will wait until I can see one in a store.

Ann
Ann O Nimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #52
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by komugi View Post
I might be very well returning my PRS-600 in favor of my older PRS-700.. I'll give it a few more days and see.
Interesting. Why? Is it because of the light? Or is it just not a good enough upgrade to warrant the cost?
I'm very curious about people's reactions to the 600. I keep going back and forth on whether I want one . . .
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #53
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by komugi View Post
What program do you use to crop your pdfs?
Adobe acrobat pro - you can also do it in preview on the mac but only page by page acrobat pro is the best - there may be some open source or cheaper alternatives though
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #54
stygian
stygian began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2, sony prs-600 (prospective)
With preview on the Mac, you can show thumbnails of the pages in the side bar, select them all, and then crop. In this way, you can set the cropping region for a single page and then apply to all pages. You don't need to do a page a time. I have Acrobat Pro but have come to prefer preview for this purpose.
stygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #55
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
any place to get the 505 cheap, lets say under 200 dollars?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:40 AM   #56
komugi
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza View Post
Interesting. Why? Is it because of the light? Or is it just not a good enough upgrade to warrant the cost?
I'm very curious about people's reactions to the 600. I keep going back and forth on whether I want one . . .
I think from a 505, the 600 would be a great upgrade (but the visibility is a bit inferior to the 505). From a 700, while the screen is a little bit better, but since 700 screen never bothered me too much to begin with, it isn't really an issue, since the 505's really crisp screen actually gave me eye strain .

Light is one part, though minor I think, for most people, but I find myself more discouraged to read at night without a built in light, but that's just me being lazy

It's really not that 600 is bad, but it is just the little things about the 700 that I got extremely used to, to be, 700 was more usable for me. One of the things is the lack of a physical 'Back' button. The on-screen Back button works fine, but to be honest, its on the top left hand of the screen, just for usability point of view... why the top left, your hand (well, mine at least) never go anywhere near the top of the screen unless I'm turning off the power.

Another one is the lack of a physical 'Search' button. The search option is now hidden under options, while this is fine for most people, I think it's just an added step to do for when I need to search a text.

As for the dictionary, I've actually never bothered with it, but it seems nice enough on the 600.

And over using 600 and 700, I find the 700 much easier to hold in my hands, which may be just that I am used to it, but it just 'felt' nicer. I find myself constantly adjusting my hands on the 600 to get it comfortable when I hold it.

Hope this helps somewhat?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:33 AM   #57
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
why could they have not made a 505 with a stronger processor and skipped the touch screen? Thats all i want.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:10 AM   #58
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
why could they have not made a 505 with a stronger processor and skipped the touch screen? Thats all i want.
Thats exactly what I wanted. A better/faster 505. I am not interested in the gimmicry, "coolness" factor that a touch screen seems to me to be.
Oh well, lets hope my 505 doesn't break for awhile
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #59
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
any place to get the 505 cheap, lets say under 200 dollars?
Only in the US, lowest price found at Fry's Red $229.00 (In store pickup only)
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Fry's is a terrible store. Seems what you want is only available in a limited set of stores. They won't allow you to order on-ine for the thing you want. Going out of business is not too good for them.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote