Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
bigblubber
bigblubber began at the beginning.

Device: none
high from newbie

Hi this is my introduction to this forum.

I like the idea of ebook readers so I resurrected an old XDA 2 pocket pc which was lying around for for the last 4-5 years. I upgraded the software as much as possible and installed Acrobat reader. I know have a smallish device which has Windows Media player/Windows Reader/Acrobat Reader. I have loads of books in Windows Reader format on my computer so I am good for the moment.

I do like the look of the new Kindle reader but I think it is way too expensive. I am struggling to understand what is in there that makes it so.

One question. I know the Kindle has a Wifi connection ( or similar ) to download books. But can it also be connected to a computer to load the books I already have? I used to use Acrobats Digital Editions on my laptop but that program is very unfriendly if you want to transfer your books to another device ( DRM ) so I stopped using it and from what I have read these Ebook readers are shaping up to be the same.

Anyway thats my twopennce worth. Look forward to an interesting forum with you all.
bigblubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Have you considered a Sony? New the 505s are $299, but you can usually find them cheaper than that. No wifi connection, everything downloads via USB on your computer. You should be able to read your Adobe DE books on it as well.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Have you considered a Sony? New the 505s are $299, but you can usually find them cheaper than that. No wifi connection, everything downloads via USB on your computer. You should be able to read your Adobe DE books on it as well.
Heh... I assume if someone things $360 is expensive that that device they will think $300 is expensive too.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Heh... I assume if someone things $360 is expensive that that device they will think $300 is expensive too.
That's why I said you can usually find it cheaper Although $60 is a lot of money honey.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
That's why I said you can usually find it cheaper Although $60 is a lot of money honey.
No, I am guess he is comparing it to a smart phone or PDA. Although many of those are subsidized. So, the comparison isn't fair.

The eInk screen is probably 50% of the cost of these devices.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No, I am guess he is comparing it to a smart phone or PDA. Although many of those are subsidized. So, the comparison isn't fair.

The eInk screen is probably 50% of the cost of these devices.

BOb
I was just trying to give him some hope I know you are probably right though.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblubber View Post
Hi this is my introduction to this forum.

I like the idea of ebook readers so I resurrected an old XDA 2 pocket pc which was lying around for for the last 4-5 years. I upgraded the software as much as possible and installed Acrobat reader. I know have a smallish device which has Windows Media player/Windows Reader/Acrobat Reader. I have loads of books in Windows Reader format on my computer so I am good for the moment.

I do like the look of the new Kindle reader but I think it is way too expensive. I am struggling to understand what is in there that makes it so.

One question. I know the Kindle has a Wifi connection ( or similar ) to download books. But can it also be connected to a computer to load the books I already have? I used to use Acrobats Digital Editions on my laptop but that program is very unfriendly if you want to transfer your books to another device ( DRM ) so I stopped using it and from what I have read these Ebook readers are shaping up to be the same.

Anyway thats my twopennce worth. Look forward to an interesting forum with you all.
Welcome to MobileRead, bigblubber.

I gagged at the price when I first bought my Kindle, but since June, its been my most treasured possession.

The adjustable font, carrying all my books around with me, the sheer comfort of reading on a device the size of a paperback when reading huge volumes like "The Complete Sherlock Holmes Omnibus", (free from here, by the way), being able to read and turn pages one handed, automatic bookmarking when I turn it off, and of course, being able to download books either from Amazon OR many other sites, (mobileread and feedbooks both have downloadable catalogs) no matter where I am.......oh, and did I mention being able to read my library's e-books on the Kindle too?

The Kindle is well worth the investment. I'm sure those who own Sonys and others will say the same about theirs.

I'm not saying its not expensive, especially in todays economy. I'm just saying its worth the sacrifice of saving for it.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, bigblubber.

I gagged at the price when I first bought my Kindle, but since June, its been my most treasured possession.

The adjustable font, carrying all my books around with me, the sheer comfort of reading on a device the size of a paperback when reading huge volumes like "The Complete Sherlock Holmes Omnibus", (free from here, by the way), being able to read and turn pages one handed, automatic bookmarking when I turn it off, and of course, being able to download books either from Amazon OR many other sites, (mobileread and feedbooks both have downloadable catalogs) no matter where I am.......oh, and did I mention being able to read my library's e-books on the Kindle too?

The Kindle is well worth the investment. I'm sure those who own Sonys and others will say the same about theirs.

I'm not saying its not expensive, especially in todays economy. I'm just saying its worth the sacrifice of saving for it.

Well said DG. I second that.

I remember when I first learned about the technology, I was very hesitant. I can't even remember what pinned it down. But I asked for it for my birthday (figuring I couldn't justify spending that much on it). Now the darn thing is attached to my hip.

The person who bought it for me (my mom), now has one courtesy of yours truly, so it all worked out evenly in the end
Old 02-07-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Well said DG. I second that.

I remember when I first learned about the technology, I was very hesitant. I can't even remember what pinned it down. But I asked for it for my birthday (figuring I couldn't justify spending that much on it). Now the darn thing is attached to my hip.

The person who bought it for me (my mom), now has one courtesy of yours truly, so it all worked out evenly in the end
What a good daughter you are!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:11 AM   #10
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Jetbook for $199 from newegg can be the option
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
What a good daughter you are!
I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
Jetbook for $199 from newegg can be the option
Wow are they that low? I had no idea!