Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Workflow for Managing, Reading Books: Calibre, iBooks, Marvin, GoodReader

I am using a Mix of the following:

Calibre to Organize on Laptop.
Reading on the iPad.

For reading a mix:
ePub - iBooks + Marvin (some dont work well in Marvin)
PDF - iBooks + Good Reader (Better for highlighting) (has DropBox, GDrive, SugarSync - But not using this for all eBook syncing)
mobi - Have a bunch but not used yet - Kindle App? Any others?

Is there some kind of easy way to PUSH and PULL the books from Calibre to these APPS?

Send to device sends it to iTunes - Books section for Sync. Which is fine.. but what about when I'd like to send certain books to the other APPS outlined above?

Some kind of PLUGIN/ ADD-ON Send to MARVIN, GOOD READER etc would help

What kind of workflow do you guys use? How do you Sync back and forth?
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
For Marvin not yet. But something is coming very soon.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there something for Good Reader?
Old 05-31-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
You may be able to do it by having a unique email address just for your books. Email them to this address from Calibre and then use the open with option for the attached book on your iPad when you pick up the email. Should work but I haven't tried it.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not that I know of. I use iTunes drag-and-drop to move lots and lots of PDFs in GoodReader.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
crashnburn
Groupie

Does anyone here (Faterson) use Calibre + GoodReader for PDF Book Management? How do you handle that workflow?
Old 09-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
simongigi
simongigi shares his or her toyssimongigi shares his or her toyssimongigi shares his or her toyssimongigi shares his or her toyssimongigi shares his or her toyssimongigi shares his or her toyssimongigi shares his or her toyssimongigi shares his or her toyssimongigi shares his or her toyssimongigi shares his or her toyssimongigi shares his or her toys

Device: kobo touch
Not Calibre for pdf, but I use http://allwaysync.com/ to move files to/from goodreader
simongigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
In OS X Mavericks, you're going to be able to tag everything. If I was going to have to sync between different reading apps, I would TAG the specific books with the specific program I'd want to sync it with.

Then I would make SMART FOLDERS in my Documents folder of all the different eBook apps, and then tell them to only show the eBooks tagged with the app's tag name. Then I'd stick it in my Favorites on the sidebar. That way I can use whatever app I wanted and drag those books with ease into the different apps.

You would still be able to keep them in Calibre and make edits to the files within any app, it just needs to have the tags.

You could probably build an Automator script to make it sync into Dropbox, Box, SkyDrive, etc too with that setup. I know the code is out there.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
For Marvin not yet. But something is coming very soon.
If you come up with a way to sync Marvin and Calibre (or at least reload from Calibre), then that would be a game changer for me. I started playing with Marvin again over the weekend and it's gotten much better than last time I worked with it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
kguil
Addict

@pwalker8 Then you'll really like what's coming in v2. Waiting for Apple to review it.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
crashnburn
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
If you come up with a way to sync Marvin and Calibre (or at least reload from Calibre), then that would be a game changer for me. I started playing with Marvin again over the weekend and it's gotten much better than last time I worked with it.
I think we have it now. I am guessing some people have a dependable workflow that they follow now.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:46 AM   #12
HiSo HoBo
HiSo HoBo began at the beginning.

Device: Marvin App (iPad)
I'm having a with sending my pdf collection, which is in Calibre, to my iPad Marvin reader app. I can send epubs, but in order to send pdfs, I am required to convert them to epub first. Does anyone know of a solution, to use Calibre and send pdfs to Marvin readers app? Thanks for any advice/help.
HiSo HoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:27 AM   #13
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Marvin does not read PDF's. You will have to send them to an alternative app to read them if you wish to retain them in pdf format.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #14
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiSo HoBo View Post
I'm having a with sending my pdf collection, which is in Calibre, to my iPad Marvin reader app. I can send epubs, but in order to send pdfs, I am required to convert them to epub first. Does anyone know of a solution, to use Calibre and send pdfs to Marvin readers app? Thanks for any advice/help.
Why would you want to transfer pdfs to Marvin, for book managing ?

If you have wireless router you can activate calibre's content server and transfer pdfs using Safari browser on iPad, there you can choose to open pdf in iBooks or other pdf reader and book/file manager you have installed thereon.

Activation button is under connect/share menu button in Calibre, there you click on start content server and see given ip adress e.g. if adress was 192.168.5.101 port 8080, then in Safari on iPad just enter adress as 191.168.5.101:8080 and you will see your Calibre library.

Choose your book and then tap on pdf under other formats, then, after it has been opened in Safari, you can choose to open pdf in another app.

You can also use any other iOS app that has WiFi transfer capability e.g. free Foxit pdf reader.

Start WiFi service in Foxit, check given ip adress and then enter that adress into some internet browser on your PC.
Once connected, you'll have to get into your Calibre library folder using given button and there select appropriate pdf book for upload to iPad (Foxit app in this case).

If you don't have WiFi router or its 2-3 MB/s are too slow for you, you can connect via usb cable using iTunes or some 3rd party app like iFunBox, transfering books directly into desired iOS app's documents folder, hopefully with 15 MB/s.

I would recommend getting some 40-50 $ WiFi HDD enclosure (battery powered) though, with appropriate iOS app that should let you transfer any file to appropriate app and streaming/transferring of any media files on multiple tablets simultaneously.

I have such WiFi Hdd enclosure but regrettably still without implemented open-in function in its iOS app that would allow me to open transferred pdf in some other better pdf reader or play media files in some other app than device's own iOS app.

So I decided to jailbreak my older iPad to be able to transfer files from that app's folder, or directly from Hdd, to any other app I wanted, using iFile app; then I can transfer files from jailbroken iPad to non-jailbroken iPad just using its bluetooth or WiFi if necessary.

Of course, once jailbroken, we can attach to it any drive or memory card (formated in FAT32 or HFS) using iPad's camera connection kit adapter, but connected drive or usb hub should be additionaly powered via outlet or its own batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXoahRf6c0g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMns9r1qxA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1hayhLy0DY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyeWy1Q_buU

Last edited by markom; 06-24-2014 at 01:12 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:40 AM   #15
HiSo HoBo
HiSo HoBo began at the beginning.

Device: Marvin App (iPad)
@markom, thank you for the long and detailed response/suggestions. The reason why I chose Marvin (ePub), GoodReader (PDF) which syncs with my Google Drive, and Calibre (Book Management) is that I really like Calibre and how I can change metadata, book covers, book summaries.... In the past, when I used iBooks, it would change the names of some of my pdfs and epubs. Plus with Google Reader, you are provided with a lot more options when reading PDFs. It's a bit cumbersome having to use two different iPad reading apps, but Calibre makes up for it with its book management.

I like your idea of using Safari to import into iBooks on my iPad. Bypassing iBooks on my Macbook would keep the pdf/epub file from being duplicated (one hidden in the iBooks library folder and one in the Calibre library folder). Here is my questions, if I import from Safari/Calibre Content Server directly into my iPad iBooks app, will i retain the updated metadatea which I did in Calibre? Also, can I download from Safari/Calibre Content Server, my full library (>300 books/mags) or would I have to do it one by one?

Again, thanks for your help and advice. Much appreciated.
HiSo HoBo is offline   Reply With Quote