Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML, Onyx Boox Note Pro
Sony publishes incomplete Linux kernel source code

I've been trying to find the source code of the Linux kernel Sony uses on its PRS-T1 reader. From Sony's Open Source pages [1] [2], a search for “PRS-T1” leads to these two pages (for the non-Russian/Japanese versions):

http://www.sony.net/Products/Linux/Audio/PRS-T1.html
http://www.sony.net/Products/Linux/A..._20111114.html

The Linux tarballs distributed from these pages do not seem to correspond to the Linux trees actually used to build the kernel on the device, though: Comparing the device's /proc/config.gz with the options actually present in the distributed source code shows that various configuration options appear in the build, but not in the source code, and (less significantly) also vice versa. For example, the running kernel has set a configuration option CONFIG_READER_WIFI, which does not appear in the source code at all.

I'd be interested in the real Linux source code as used on the device. Is there another place to look for it? If there isn't, Sony may be in violation of the kernel's GPL license.

[1] https://products.sel.sony.com/opensource/
[2] http://www.sony.net/Products/Linux/common/search.html
altruizine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Another good source is Freescale!! They have complete Android images for the iMX508 hardware platform used in the T1...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165938

EDIT: you may also want to examine http://www.linaro.org/ - they have images for the iMX53 platform.

Last edited by uboot; 08-15-2012 at 05:48 AM.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your pointers, uboot!

I may have been a bit premature in my judgment of the distributed sources' completeness, although the verdict is not entirely clear yet.

The CONFIG_READER_WIFI symbol is indeed and definitely missing from Sony's tarballs. However, on closer inspection it seems that all other config options shown in /proc/config.gz are actually present in the source, and conversely (and in contrast to what I said in my original posting), /proc/config.gz is also complete with respect to the config options provided in the source. Perhaps the CONFIG_READER_WIFI symbol is not used in any actual kernel code, but only to select other kernel-configuration settings (in a defconfig file that Sony does not distribute)?

Using the source tree, I was able to build a kernel with a matching modversion. I haven't tried booting this kernel, but with it I succeeded in building a kernel module (tun.ko) that insmods and works fine with the firmware's original kernel.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:40 AM   #4
e-ink
partly refreshed
e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.e-ink could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: It's a Sony :P prs-t1
Hello Forum,

I'd like to compile a module for the prs-t1 myself. Could you please list the steps you took?

I am familiar compiling a kernel, however I'm confused about setting up the right tool chain and compiling just a single module. Did you use gcc, glibc etc provided by the sony website?

Thanks!
e-ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
altruizine
Senior Altruist

Hi e-ink,

I've described the build process in a new thread. To answer your specific question: No, I did not use the toolchain distributed by Sony (GCC 4.1.2), but the GCC 4.4.3 toolchain from a more recent Android NDK. That seemed to be a better match for the GCC 4.4.0 the shipped kernel has been compiled with (according to /proc/version).

Tags
gpl, sony, source code