Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-16-2022, 05:18 PM   #1
cseb
cseb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 11th gen
How to save a specific text - no metadata - from a book in a custom column

I have hundreds of books wich in a specific page have their original titles with a distinctive word next to them. Is there any way to search the text with the original title within all those books and save them in a custom column for each book without opening the books one by one and do it manually? I wanted to do this since last year but I didn't find a way. Thanks in advance.
cseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 08:34 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is the 'distinctive word' the same in all books, e.g. 'origtitle'?

Have you tried the new Full text searching of all books feature in the latest calibre release to find the books with the 'distinctive word'.

If you do that you could 'tag' those books, put them in a VL etc

What do you want to save in a custom column - the 'original title' perhaps?

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2022, 09:34 AM   #3
cseb

Thank you for answering!

Yes, it's the same in all the books.

I've tried the full text searching (when I find out the new version included that feature that was the first thing I did), but that only does half of the task. My main library is huge so I put some of the books in another library to test.

Yes, I want to save the original title of each book. Now I'm doing it one by one and only if the book has a different title than the original.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:45 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good idea to create a test library, copy it somewhere in case it gets broken.

But, it may not be be simple - what you need is something you can run from the command line that will find the tag-word within a calibre library's ebook files, extract the text that follows the tag-word i.e. the original title, and write that along with book identifying data to a CSV file. You could then use the CSV to update the metadata via the Import List plugin.

You may need to convert the books to TXT and use a command line script to do it. Which OS do you use - Windows, MacOS or Linux?

BR
Old 07-17-2022, 09:44 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if a customized version of the ISBN plugin might work.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2022, 04:17 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

Definitely worth a try --- especially if you know python.

BR
Old 07-18-2022, 08:25 PM   #7
cseb

Sorry for the late answer BetterRed and thanks for your help.

It's good to know that what I want to do is possible, but I'm not an advanced user nor do I know how to code (though I'm in the path of learning).

I'll look into that PeterT. Thank you.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:36 PM   #8
cseb

I forgot to say that the information you gave was very useful BR and I'll look into that too.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:50 PM   #9
killo3967
killo3967 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Does anyone know if there has been any progress on this issue?
killo3967 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom column, original title, save, search, text