Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-24-2019, 11:07 AM   #331
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
My love for classical music started with Bugs Bunny cartoons:

tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #332
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My love for classical music started with Bugs Bunny cartoons:

They definitely used a lot of classical music. I assume that was a copyright thing because the classical music was long out of copyright and in the public domain. The Lone Ranger series used the William Tell Overture. Mighty Mouse had its classical music for sure, as did most of the cartoons from that era.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #333
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:31 PM   #334
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I wonder if Disney and Warner Brothers collaborated on this? Somehow I don't think so.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #335
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I wonder if Disney and Warner Brothers collaborated on this? Somehow I don't think so.
Yes, they did. All of the cartoon owners agreed to let their cartoons be used for the movie. Only one house did not.

Where's Popeye. . .
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2019, 04:51 PM   #336
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Yes, they did. All of the cartoon owners agreed to let their cartoons be used for the movie. Only one house did not.

Where's Popeye. . .
Well, I'll be gobsmacked. Disney? Really? You can't even render Mickey on a napkin without fearing a cease and desist order.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:48 PM   #337
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Well, I'll be gobsmacked. Disney? Really? You can't even render Mickey on a napkin without fearing a cease and desist order.
I still have trouble understanding how Mickey Mouse built the Disney empire. That is the lamest bleeping cartoon character of all time. Most of Walt’s cartoon characters were pretty lame. The ones created for animated movies were better, but the mouse sucked! I liked Hanna Barbera and the Looney Tunes characters, but never got into the Disney ones.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:55 PM   #338
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post

Where's Popeye. . .
Didn't Betty Boop also appear in the movie? I think she was from the same studio as Popeye wasn't she?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:01 PM   #339
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Disney made the picture. . .
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:05 PM   #340
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I still have trouble understanding how Mickey Mouse built the Disney empire. That is the lamest bleeping cartoon character of all time. Most of Walt’s cartoon characters were pretty lame. The ones created for animated movies were better, but the mouse sucked! I liked Hanna Barbera and the Looney Tunes characters, but never got into the Disney ones.
You have to remember that Disney was one of (if not the first) cartoon studio. First to really use color, first to have audio matched to the pictures and they had the multi plane camera as well. And then Disney made Snow White the first full length animated movie. And it all started with the mouse. People in the early days of cinema were fascinated by the fact that pictures could be made to move at all. Animated cartoons were a novelty built on that fascination. We take it for granted now because they have been shown over and over again on Saturday mornings. The Disney shorts were originally made to be shown in movie theater's along with the serial, double feature and newsreel. Going to the movies was a lot cheaper back then I'm sure and you got more for your money than you do now. I think it was around $4.00 for a ticket when I was a kid. Now days if I go (on the weekend) by time I get in and buy my popcorn and diet soda I've laid out about $15.00 (just for one person). I rarely go now and just wait for the DVD to come out so I can watch that. These days it isn't even film stock, but a DVD disk and LCD projector that is used. If you look closely at old movies they have a circle or dot in one upper corner of a set of frames now and then. That was to tell the projectionist to get ready to switch to the next camera (as the reel that was running presently was about to run out). Now days that isn't an issue.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #341
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
They definitely used a lot of classical music. I assume that was a copyright thing because the classical music was long out of copyright and in the public domain. The Lone Ranger series used the William Tell Overture. Mighty Mouse had its classical music for sure, as did most of the cartoons from that era.
Also the studios had access to full orchestra's back then. The music was of high quality compared to some today.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:28 PM   #342
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Also the studios had access to full orchestra's back then. The music was of high quality compared to some today.
On the other hand, many of the modern analogies to the "classics" were composed for block buster films. Some that come to mind are Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, 2001, and some even for television like Star Trek and Hawaii Five-O.

I think that in the early days of film, the studios didn't have access to world class composers.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:46 AM   #343
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Yeah, the only condition was that the flagship Disney and Warner Bros characters had to have the same amount of screen time. That's why Donald and Daffy, and in a later scene later Mickey and Bugs, are paired together.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:53 AM   #344
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Didn't Betty Boop also appear in the movie? I think she was from the same studio as Popeye wasn't she?
While they were made by the same studio originally (which became part of Paramount), Popeye was eventually sold to Turner Entertainment, which was still a few years away from becoming a sister company to Warner Bros when Who Framed Roger Rabbit was made.

Last edited by Dylrob; 05-30-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:44 PM   #345
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote