Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-28-2017, 01:22 PM   #211
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
And now they are making a comeback. But rather than junky speakers, you use your car's FM radio. So I guess if you want to hear the movie don't go in a classic vehicle.
Yep. There's one here in town. It's closed for the winter but will re-open in a couple of months. The same people own the local (indoor) theater as well. I went there last night with my lady, her one sister and their mother. They even have the ability to remove a seat for the handicapped visitor (Lisa is in a wheel chair).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #212
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Yep. There's one here in town. It's closed for the winter but will re-open in a couple of months. The same people own the local (indoor) theater as well. I went there last night with my lady, her one sister and their mother. They even have the ability to remove a seat for the handicapped visitor (Lisa is in a wheel chair).
Our drive in stays open year round. Well I say ours, it is actually in the next town over. Both towns have 3 indoor multi-plexes. The drive in has 3 screens.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #213
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Our drive in stays open year round. Well I say ours, it is actually in the next town over. Both towns have 3 indoor multi-plexes. The drive in has 3 screens.
Yep, but we live in hell where the temperature stays high all year! I remember back in the 1970s when drive-ins were still around, they kept different hours depending on the season as we have daylight longer into the evening in the summer than in the winter. They also waited until summer to run three movies back to back, but only did two during the rest of the year. Personally I can no longer stand to go to walk-in movie theaters what with the ridiculous pricing, noisy kids, rude parents, and totally rude adults with their smartphones. While contemporary drive-ins might sound like a good idea to some, I've gotten spoiled by streaming services, cable TV, BluRay, etc. where I can lounge at home in my recliner and watch a movie in peace. I'll leave the new drive-ins to the younger folk who don't fall asleep watching TV.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:43 PM   #214
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yep, but we live in hell where the temperature stays high all year! I remember back in the 1970s when drive-ins were still around, they kept different hours depending on the season as we have daylight longer into the evening in the summer than in the winter. They also waited until summer to run three movies back to back, but only did two during the rest of the year. Personally I can no longer stand to go to walk-in movie theaters what with the ridiculous pricing, noisy kids, rude parents, and totally rude adults with their smartphones. While contemporary drive-ins might sound like a good idea to some, I've gotten spoiled by streaming services, cable TV, BluRay, etc. where I can lounge at home in my recliner and watch a movie in peace. I'll leave the new drive-ins to the younger folk who don't fall asleep watching TV.
Average movie ticket $10. Popcorn $5. Coke $5. Why did I just come up with around $40 for 2. And some theaters are higher. For less than 2 hours of hopefully good entertainment.
My recliner is much more comfortable and if you are willing to wait a few months, the latest and greatest movie will be available on Demand for under $10.

For that, we can get Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix for a month with money left over to buy popcorn and cokes.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #215
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Average movie ticket $10. Popcorn $5. Coke $5. Why did I just come up with around $40 for 2. And some theaters are higher. For less than 2 hours of hopefully good entertainment.
My recliner is much more comfortable and if you are willing to wait a few months, the latest and greatest movie will be available on Demand for under $10.

For that, we can get Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix for a month with money left over to buy popcorn and cokes.
My feelings exactly. I could buy it on BluRay or Amazon Video, if I wanted to own it, for a fraction of a trip to an annoying theater. And then replay the parts I sleep through!
Advert
Old 02-28-2017, 04:27 PM   #216
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Lat time monkey set foot in a movie theater was 1999 for Star Wars: Phantom Menace. Ain't ever going back to a theater again.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #217
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Lat time monkey set foot in a movie theater was 1999 for Star Wars: Phantom Menace. Ain't ever going back to a theater again.
Ahhhh, Jar Jar scare the monkey? Yep, I was never a big Star Wars fan, but that one sucked big time! Especially Jar Jar and that little twerp who became Darth. Meh. The best SciFi is still from the 1950s and 1960s. Today they just use CGI to try to impress us, but the lack of imagination and good acting tend to sink most SciFi movies.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:54 PM   #218
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Ahhhh, Jar Jar scare the monkey? Yep, I was never a big Star Wars fan, but that one sucked big time! Especially Jar Jar and that little twerp who became Darth. Meh. The best SciFi is still from the 1950s and 1960s. Today they just use CGI to try to impress us, but the lack of imagination and good acting tend to sink most SciFi movies.

...me so 'fraid

Actually, the movie had nothing to do with it. I just lost interest in seeing movies in theaters. Home TV/internet is more than sufficient for my needs.

PS: did you ever have a hankerin' to take a pair of scissors to one of his eye stocks?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:00 PM   #219
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

January 2009 was the last time I was in a theater. We saw My Bloody Valentine. Not as good as the previews.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:06 AM   #220
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've only seen 4 or 5 movies in a walk-in theater over the past 20+ years. I used to occasionally go to the $1 shows, but those were even worse as far as the noise and interruptions from others. The last time I went to a walk-in theater it was actually a pretty nice experience as it was one of those dinner and movie theater combos. But it was too pricey. I still prefer my lounge chair and home theater.

...and to bring our wondering back to the original topic of "Blast from the Past"... One of the things my parents enjoyed back in the 1970s were the Dinner Theaters wherein they could have a nice meal, drinks, and a theatrical play performed by local actors and often including some well known Hollywood or Broadway actor as well. Granted doing the dinner theater circuit was usually for the actors who had seen their movie or TV careers wane, they were still celebrities and people loved seeing them perform in person.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-01-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #221
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I used to go to the theater 2-3 times a month or more when I was in South Carolina. If no one else wanted to see the movie I would go alone.
Now I'm working evenings so I don't get as many opportunities. The last movie I saw was The Arrival.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:30 PM   #222
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
I have not gone to a theatre after 2001. The last movie I saw in the theatre was The Mummy, starring Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz. I'm not much of movie fan, and prefer to watch them on TV in the comfort of my home.. on my couch.. with scotch..
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #223
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I haven't seen a movie in a movie theater in over a quarter century except for the handful of times the software company that I used to work for had an "all hands offsite meeting". The office would pay for the tickets and some 30-50 of us would go to the same showing of the movie. I remember seeing the LotR movies, Contact, and a couple of Star Wars movies this way.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #224
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah but your drive in is in Texas. Mine is up north in Wisconsin. lol. We get a good dusting of snow with sub zero temps in winter. I don't know how the winter is down there but it's a bit cool for outdoor movies here.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #225
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
January 2009 was the last time I was in a theater. We saw My Bloody Valentine. Not as good as the previews.
Last time I was in a walk in theater was Monday night. Me, Lisa, her one sister and their mom went to see "The Great Wall." We were the only 4 people in the room oddly enough. Probably a lot of people went to see either "Lego Batman" or "Fifty Shades Darker" both of which were also playing this week. I get what some say about the prices though. Often when I do go I go on the weekend when the matinee prices are in place. Even then just for one ticket, popcorn and a diet soda it's right around $15.00 here. For that price I might just as well wait for the DVD buy a copy. A movie has to be pretty good for me to fork the funds out for my ticket. Or at least have an intriguing trailer. Sometimes the trailer turns out to be better than the movie of course. "The Great Wall" was pretty good I thought.