Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
holgalee
Kindle Newbie
holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 & PW
Wanted: vertical scrolling (e-reader or hack)

I'm rocking a K3 right now, and it's a great device. My friend wants to get an e-reader too, but needs one that can do vertical scrolling so that she can compare chunks of text.

Is there such an e-reader or even a hack for the K3 that I'm not aware of? I know she can get a tablet but she already has one, and is attracted to the low glare and excellent battery life of e-readers.

Thanks in advance.
holgalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
holgalee
Kindle Newbie
holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.holgalee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I'm not able to find the answer from googling nor searching the forums. Can any kind souls give me an idea?
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't know of any, except Mobipocket Reader (app).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
I hear you can root the Nook Simple Touch Reader and install Android apps, some of which probably have vertical scrolling. However low refresh rate of e-ink means scrolling is not going to go so well.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
holgalee
Kindle Newbie

Thank you for the replies. I thought there might be eink readers that can support vertical scrolling, but you're right about refresh rate making that a possible issue.

Is mobipocket reader an Android app? Guess I should find out by googling, just that my phone isn't very conducive for searching!
Advert
Old 06-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
No, Mobipocket Reader is a pc app. They also used to have it available for PDAs. They still support a few devices, but not Android.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
holgalee
Kindle Newbie

Thanks, Susan. I just checked our the website and it appears to be a smartphone app and probably works with selected ereaders. I don't want to read from the phone though may suggest the nook touch to my friend.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
You might want to look at The Big List of Android Reader Apps in the Android forum. Beartard keeps it up to date: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70921.

If your friend can find (or root) an Android device she likes there are several good choices available that scroll. I have Moon+ Reader which scrolls smoothly and has a good night mode.

Good luck!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote