Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Difference between a bookshelf and a theme?

What is the difference between a bookshelf and a theme? Bookshelf = *.app? Theme = *.pbt? Do I need a bookshelf for a theme to work?

I got a bookshelf *.app that works for 602 and I wanted to change the dictionary configuration (theme?) so it can work for Chinese dictionaries. But I can't find the *.txt to edit, only a *.pbt that I couldn't do anything about.

I am not computer person. Forgive my ignorance.

I want to add the following lines that have been tried by other people for Japanese:
dictionary.font.normal=Arial Unicode MS,18,0
dictionary.font.bold=Arial Unicode MS,18,0
dictionary.font.translation=Arial Unicode MS,18,0
dictionary.font.extra=Arial Unicode MS,20,0
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I am not too sure about the bookshelf, but as I understand it the theme is in essence a user interface - in which (if you can edit it) you can change some aspect of the organization and appearance (e.g. which directory you keep the books, fonts, etc.).

Perhaps the answer to your question is here: if you download the source of the theme, UnicodeMS_src.zip, there are some dictionary related lines that are those you want:
Quote:
dictionary.font.bold=#Arial Unicode MS,18,0
dictionary.font.normal=#Arial Unicode MS,18,0
dictionary.font.translation=#Arial Unicode MS,18,0
dictionary.font.extra=#Arial Unicode MS,20,0
so you could just try the theme itself, and see if it works.
I think in order to compile the theme after modifications you still need the theme compiling software (see this message by Kacir)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I am not too sure about the bookshelf, but as I understand it the theme is in essence a user interface - in which (if you can edit it) you can change some aspect of the organization and appearance (e.g. which directory you keep the books, fonts, etc.).

Perhaps the answer to your question is here: if you download the source of the theme, UnicodeMS_src.zip, there are some dictionary related lines that are those you want:

so you could just try the theme itself, and see if it works.
I think in order to compile the theme after modifications you still need the theme compiling software (see this message by Kacir)
Thank you, Paola, I knew how to compile the *.pbt file. Do I need to put the resource folder under system? I put it there and the *.pbt under system/theme. But nothing happened. Maybe as guys on the Russian site said, themes so far don't work on new models like 602?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
Thank you, Paola, I knew how to compile the *.pbt file. Do I need to put the resource folder under system? I put it there and the *.pbt under system/theme. But nothing happened. Maybe as guys on the Russian site said, themes so far don't work on new models like 602?
In fact, if you just copy the .pbt file in "\system\themes" on your device it should work - the only thing is that there are some icons missing, so the widgets for the dictionary for instance will be blank. I have tried it on my 903, and it works (save for some missing icons). Have a go, otherwise later on I can put a screeenshot of how it looks on my device.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
jshzh
Addict

Quote:
In fact, if you just copy the .pbt file in "\system\themes" on your device it should work - the only thing is that there are some icons missing, so the widgets for the dictionary for instance will be blank. I have tried it on my 903, and it works (save for some missing icons). Have a go, otherwise later on I can put a screeenshot of how it looks on my device.
Tried, it didn't work. The same things on the screen. Maybe it is for old firmwares? I am using the 2.1.0....everything is so messed up

Last edited by jshzh; 06-02-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Advert
Old 06-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
Tried, it didn't work. The same things on the screen. Maybe it is for old firmwares? I am using the 2.1.0....everything is so messed up
I don't know what to say - I simply copied the UnicodeMS.pbt file - below you have the screenshot with this theme, and then the one with the "Modern" theme - the difference is that the slots for the widgets (MP3 player and dictionary) are empty, as are the unassigned slots in the main box on the left. I am running the second beta version of 2.1.0.
Have you tried loading the modern theme, does it work? The reason I ask is that many icons seem to be in common. Perhaps you could load a screenshot of your device when you load the UnicodeMS theme?

EDIT: one thing I forgot to say, I also loaded the Arial Unicode font in "system/fonts"
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0004.bmp (487.6 KB, 191 views)
File Type: bmp scr0005.bmp (487.6 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by paola; 06-02-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
jshzh
Addict

Quote:
I don't know what to say - I simply copied the UnicodeMS.pbt file - below you have the screenshot with this theme, and then the one with the "Modern" theme - the difference is that the slots for the widgets (MP3 player and dictionary) are empty, as are the unassigned slots in the main box on the left. I am running the second beta version of 2.1.0.
Have you tried loading the modern theme, does it work? The reason I ask is that many icons seem to be in common. Perhaps you could load a screenshot of your device when you load the UnicodeMS theme?

EDIT: one thing I forgot to say, I also loaded the Arial Unicode font in "system/fonts"
It works now. I didn't know I had to select one theme in configuration. I had a different bookshelf which showed up right after I put in the *app file (it looks like a theme. Don't know the difference). I thought themes worked the same way. Anyways, both "modern" and “unicodeMS" work now. Chinese dictionaries still don't show up. I guess there is something wrong with the *.dic files. Need to investigate more! Thank you.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
bookshelf is an application - some kind of file (book) manager. Theme contains user interface settings and resources (bitmaps) used by bookshelf itself and by book reading applications such as fbreader etc.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #9
jshzh
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbo View Post
bookshelf is an application - some kind of file (book) manager. Theme contains user interface settings and resources (bitmaps) used by bookshelf itself and by book reading applications such as fbreader etc.
Thank you, pkbo, for the information. I just found that when I opened certain epub ebook with fbreader, the lines didn't turn automatically - one paragraph one line - so I could only read the first few words of each paragraph on the screan. When I open the book with Coolreader and Calibre to view, the text fits the screen perfectly. Are epub ebooks supposed to format itself according to the screen? I don't remember I changed any settings in FBreader. Any idea?