Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #31
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
When we had our Adam today, it’s a given that this is an early firmware version and many of the applications were unresponsive and did not work. We had a heck of a time configuring the email client and Facebook application, which in the end did not work. Another application that failed to work was NIMBUZZ which allows for free calls and instant messages to phones. In theory its a great service, but if you try and register a new account the CAPTCHA code that verifies you are not a spammer failed to load. This caused an inability to directly register a for a new service account directly on your Adam, instead you have to create the account with the PC first. Other errors in software included many applications having the top half of the navigation bar, or the title of the application being half cut off. This resulted in important instructions or titles being unreadable. We found this prevalent in almost 65% of all of the bundled applications that came with the unit.
This is unacceptable. I hope those who purchased the Adam get timely resolutions.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:27 AM   #32
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
http://androidcommunity.com/notion-i...riod-20110127/
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #33
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Couple of thinks,

Before buying something, play with it, especially electronic devices. I did that with my Nook Color, Kindle 3, Nook 1st gen, my HTC cellphone, etc, etc. That will give some hands on experience about how the gadget works and feel.

Now, it scares me a little bit when I buy an electronic device out of USA or from a place without local branches or brick stores (Amazon is the exception) You are accepting and taking the risk in case of any returns.

Does not look like a pleasant experience though and I would be mad probably. Someway this justify much more my Galaxy Tab purchase, which is kind of ironic.

2nd row of shippings are coming in June I think? Maybe some of the software issues will be fixed by then but if experiences like that one become a common pattern I think people will think twice before buying or decide for one of the most known brands like HP, Motorola, Samsung, iPad, etc.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #34
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
A seven day return period?

I know we heard about this when the pre-order page went up, but if that isn't illegal, it really should be. Increasingly in this age of new tech, multi-national manufacturers / distributors are trying to place their arbitrary rules above the law of the countries in which they sell.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #35
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey79 View Post

I know we heard about this when the pre-order page went up, but if that isn't illegal, it really should be. Increasingly in this age of new tech, multi-national manufacturers / distributors are trying to place their arbitrary rules above the law of the countries in which they sell.
I don't own one, and can't confirm. But 7 return period sounds like ....

Open the box ... test ASAP... ... keep testing (same day) .... facebook does not work ... ... let's Google solutions and ask other people on same boat ... .... not much info, call customer support or send email ... .... wait for a solution .... ... reset the whole thing .... ... at the end of all that process and several days, is too late for a return via regular mail to a far, far away place in ASIA ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #36
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Great post. That return period should give anyone pause. Perhaps it's no longer the case. Hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I don't own one, and can't confirm. But 7 return period sounds like ....

Open the box ... test ASAP... ... keep testing (same day) .... facebook does not work ... ... let's Google solutions and ask other people on same boat ... .... not much info, call customer support or send email ... .... wait for a solution .... ... reset the whole thing .... ... at the end of all that process and several days, is too late for a return via regular mail to a far, far away place in ASIA ...
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #37
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richey79 View Post

Just go to your CC company and do a chargeback as I believe most pretty much have rules about reasonable return windows. A 7-day return is not reasonable when returning half-way around the planet. It might not even allow for customs clearance in India. Having never shipped to India I don't know much about the quality of their customs or postal systems. But as my parcel insurance underwriter does not cover anything shipped to India I just won't ship there. So I wonder how many devices with become "lost" in their postal system?

A darn shame the whole thing is not turning out that great. I've read a couple of the adam boards and some folks seem OK and some never really understood that the non-backlit mode is not for indoor low light reading....duuuuuhhh, but the other issues are simply not right, not for the better part of a grand per device.

Still I hope they figure it all out and realize the MUST create a real global distribution network or this will fail. Even Amazon has distribution from places outside the US. I know many international corporations does the same. It's all about the logistics and then, of course, a service network. All of this takes money and time and should have been on the top 2-3 items on their to-do list.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:08 AM   #38
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Rohan already hinted at an Adam 2 model which didn't receive a warm welcome amongst the users commenting.

https://notionink.wordpress.com/2011...-day/#comments

Quote:
the most ridiculous part about this post is talk about Adam 2 – you have got to be kidding me – Rohan – everyone knows that a company has to think about the future and readies its new product development plans in advance – thats good business – but for NI – especially when Adam 1 is still stuck with ONLY tech savvy people
Quote:
it is immature to talk about Adam 2 when Adam 1 is not available for general public and neither SDK nor Genesis market available to all users. After leaking Adam2 plans, Rohan has turned away 80% of the prospective buyers as they will wait for Adam 2 which will be a mature product as compared to Adam 1 (Similar to G1 and G2 phones). Notion Ink should first fix the issues with Adam 1 and make it available for general public, release SDK and open Genesis App store and then talk about Adam 2. I am not sure how investors are allowing him to talk about Adam 2.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #39
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
The most damaging part of this video is the bit where it failed to display the figures in a PDF. Not much use buying one for reading if it can't handle PDFs correctly. It's hard to say if this is an issue with the code in Adobe Reader or a problem with the NI's implementation of Android, but it needs to get fixed fast.

Edit: Just seen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rrP4K2X0V0
Huh - looks like the device works much better if you root it and reflash it with a vanilla OS

Last edited by charleski; 01-29-2011 at 10:27 AM.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #40
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I really wish my doubts about this device were proven wrong.

And I am not talking about software glitches.

Looking at the images from goodereader, the Adam is pretty much useless, at least IMO.

The Pixel-Q screen sucks compared to e-ink, so it's useless for regular reading.

The Pixel-Q screen also sucks compared with the iPad, for general browsing, occasional reading, etc..

The photos also make it obvious that the cheap 9x16 screen format which unfortunately has become the standard on Android devices is ill-suited both for reading, and for web-surfing.

So far, there is nothing I have seen to even threaten either e-Ink, or the iPad.

I really wish there was something....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:27 AM   #41
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I really wish my doubts about this device were proven wrong.

The Pixel-Q screen sucks compared to e-ink, so it's useless for regular reading.

The Pixel-Q screen also sucks compared with the iPad, for general browsing, occasional reading, etc..
It was already known that before the iPad launch, that PixelQI's screen quality was worse than eink and worse than LCD. That's why the rumors debunked which said that the Apple Tablet would have pixelQI.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adam, notion ink