Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2023, 11:49 AM   #16
captdog
captdog began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 10th gen.
I've just used this on my 15.15.1.1 & 5.16.2.1.1 paperwhites & all seemed to go well.
captdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:47 AM   #17
b00kwyrm
b00kwyrm began at the beginning.

Device: KT3, PW5 16Gb, KT5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviteusz View Post
BinaryRenamer
Block OTA Updates and Device Logging

Installation:
—————————————
1. Copy the BinaryRenamer folder to /mnt/us/extensions
2. Run KUAL and block or restore things.

—————————————
Although this references installing in /mnt/us/extensions presumably by ssh, wanted to make sure that this corresponds to the extensions folder on the Kindle when mounting as removable drive AND that simply dragging and dropping into that folder will work (no permissions chmod that needs to be run on the file).

Last edited by b00kwyrm; 01-08-2024 at 10:50 AM.
b00kwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:27 AM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Yes, /mnt/us is what is exported over USB mass storage.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:49 PM   #19
Daviteusz
Enthusiast
Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.Daviteusz can teach chickens to fly.

Device: KOA3
Quote:
Originally Posted by b00kwyrm View Post
Although this references installing in /mnt/us/extensions presumably by ssh, wanted to make sure that this corresponds to the extensions folder on the Kindle when mounting as removable drive AND that simply dragging and dropping into that folder will work (no permissions chmod that needs to be run on the file).
I'm sorry for unclear instruction. I've updated steps for users that doesn't use SSH.
Should be okay now
Daviteusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:08 PM   #20
hondabf
Paranoid Monster
hondabf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Greetings, thank you so much for this plugin.

Just installed this on my PW 4 running 5.10.0.2, is there a definite way to check the Kindle won't update? I haven't connected to Wi-Fi but wanted to make sure before enabling it.

I also wanted to ask if having Helper+ installed previously could affect this extension. Just before installing BinaryRemover, I re-enabled back the "PREVENT OTA UPDATE" option and removed the "update.bin.tmp.partial" folder as indicated. I also never installed renametobin beforehand.
hondabf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 07:26 PM   #21
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
It's iffy whether the update.bin.tmp.partial works beyond 5.9.x

Starting around 5.10.x the firmware has code to forcibly delete it but it is not known when it actually got enabled.

So far there have been no credible reports of renameotabin failing. It always turns out that someone didn't actually run it after installing.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:18 PM   #22
hondabf
Paranoid Monster
hondabf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It's iffy whether the update.bin.tmp.partial works beyond 5.9.x

Starting around 5.10.x the firmware has code to forcibly delete it but it is not known when it actually got enabled.

So far there have been no credible reports of renameotabin failing. It always turns out that someone didn't actually run it after installing.
Oh so that means my Kindle might be safer than before haha, that's good news!

Last edited by hondabf; 01-18-2024 at 11:19 PM. Reason: quote
hondabf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 08:06 PM   #23
remember
remember began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for this. I've always wanted a log disabler.

Do you know if the empty log files are still sent to Amazon, or does this somehow prevent them from being sent?
remember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 09:44 PM   #24
ForumUser
Mobileread_User
ForumUser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 (2021)
Quote:
Originally Posted by remember View Post
Thank you for this. I've always wanted a log disabler.

Do you know if the empty log files are still sent to Amazon, or does this somehow prevent them from being sent?
Is it still working? Could you please tell me your firmware version?
ForumUser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, logs, ota, rename, renameotabin