Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-15-2020, 04:40 PM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You know that feeling. Something or another brought you to a book's page, you start to read through the description and see that annoying thing that makes you decide the book isn't for you (or at least has a strike against it).

For me, there's several. Of course none of these are a 100% no, but man, the book better have something major going for it if it has any of these:

A book where the writing or characters are described as 'snarky'.

A book that says it is perfect for fans of XXX (in a blurb, it's different).

A description that ends with an exclamation point.

Full of snarky characters in adorkable situations, perfect for fans of Dan Brown and Tennessee Williams. First in a heartwarming new zombie series!

What are some major red flags for you?
I don't about red flag words or phrases. It's really more of a feel than anything else. I look for something that indicates that the writer has some sort of creative spark, so really anything that indicates that the writer isn't creative is a turn off.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #17
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Multi-generational (spanning generations) doesn't work for me.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2020, 04:49 PM   #18
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
"Romance" is the killer for me. Wouldn't touch it. I am just not interested.

Also, anything that appears to be for a cause. e.g., when the description prominently says "gay/lesbian" then the book is most likely promoting that cause above everything else. I don't care if the story is about gay/lesbians - that's not a bother as long as it is incidental, not the main focus of the story - but what is a bother is that the book is advertised as being for a cause. Same thing for a religious book. Personally, I am religious, but when I'm looking for a novel I don't want to be beat over the head with a cause, even if it's a cause that I happen to agree with.

[ I picked these two examples, "gay/lesbain" and "religious" simply because you see a lot of both of these books advertised. There are other causes of course, and I don't like their "cause books" any better, but these two are prevalent in today's publishing and everybody has run into them. ]

I want to read a story for fun. Content is what matters. When you throw in pushing for a cause - doesn't matter if I like or hate that cause - then the book is simply not for me. If I accidentally stumble into a book like that, more likely than not I'll abandon it and move on to something entertaining, not preachy.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:56 PM   #19
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Books under 200 pages (that goes for individual books) will not be bought by me.
Why not? That used to be the norm 50 years ago. Or are you only referring to new books under 200 pages?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Why not? That used to be the norm 50 years ago. Or are you only referring to new books under 200 pages?
No. I dislike it in any book. Yes, I read those older books when there wasn't anything else to read, but nowadays I prefer newer books. There often isn't enough room for proper world and character development in short books. They're all plot (unless the author was/is a genius).

Edit to add: most older books I read as a child and as a teenager were far more than 200 pages. The Three Musketeers, Count of Monte-Cristo, Mowgli, Deerslayer, Jane Eyre and many others. All were nice fat doorstoppers.

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-15-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2020, 05:20 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I often read stories that are under 200 pages. Some authors produced their best work in the short story/novella/novelette format. All too often, you find books with lots of pages which consist of a decent short story and a mass of filler. Bulwer-Lytton emulation at it's worse.

It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents—except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.—Edward Bulwer-Lytton, Paul Clifford

Perfervid turgidity as practised by an expert.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I often read stories that are under 200 pages. Some authors produced their best work in the short story/novella/novelette format. All too often, you find books with lots of pages which consist of a decent short story and a mass of filler. Bulwer-Lytton emulation at it's worse.

It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents—except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.—Edward Bulwer-Lytton, Paul Clifford

Perfervid turgidity as practised by an expert.
Well, yes, that's the other extreme, of course. I detest both short stories and empty meandering. The best fiction is between the two, imho. YMMV, as always.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Well, yes, that's the other extreme, of course. I detest both short stories and empty meandering. The best fiction is between the two, imho. YMMV, as always.
Given that I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy in the 60's and a large part of that reading was SF & F magazines, I came to appreciate a well crafted short story.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:39 PM   #24
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Books under 200 pages (that goes for individual books) will not be bought by me.
Interestingly, for me at least, is that what got me started on Westerns was a collection of short stories, The Morrow Anthology of Great Western Short Stories, edited by Jon Tuska and Vicki Pickarski. My library sells used donated books for $0.50 apiece and I saw this one and decided to give it a try. I put little plastic Post-It flags on each story that I liked and it turns out to be about half of them. A definite bonus is the cover art, the painting Open Range by Maynard Dixon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	656px-Open_Range_by_Maynard_Dixon%2C_1942.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	181358

Last edited by issybird; 08-15-2020 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Oversize image. Please read the guidelines.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #25
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Given that I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy in the 60's and a large part of that reading was SF & F magazines, I came to appreciate a well crafted short story.
Same here. I think it's because as I said before, SF is about an idea and therefore unlikely to have deep characters which take time and space away from the clever idea.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:53 PM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I grew up on novels, there weren't any SF/F magazines in my country at the time. And most of those novels had more than 200 pages. So that's the cause of my preference, probably.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:56 PM   #27
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Late in life I discovered Westerns, where the plot is often a good guy vs a bad guy with a woman for the good guy to fall in love with (for example, see Bat Wing Bowles which I recently uploaded).
Sounds like a lot of Elmore Leonard westerns.

I probably wouldn't buy a book that involves a quest for glory.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #28
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Anything with thrones, kings, queens, sages, mages or wizards.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:30 PM   #29
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Anything with thrones, kings, queens, sages, mages or wizards.
Lol, that's at least 3/4s of the type of stuff I typically read.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #30
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Multi-generational (spanning generations) doesn't work for me.
You beat me to this one.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote