Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 03:55 AM   #151
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@jony08: The buttons are that way for a reason, their text varies depending on whether you are editing an existing highlight or creating a new one. And more buttons can appear between them.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:28 AM   #152
The_Ad
The_Ad began at the beginning.

Device: none
The note panel window along with underline, strikeout as well as other customizations are way to lovely. Thanks for the unexpected surprise Kovid.

Tiny little suggestions:
  1. Selection hanldes would look great if its design can be modified.(70-80% reduction in size of oval).A mouse cursor can easily be well adjusted in 20% of that oval.
  2. In selection bar, the text below the notes tool still says highlight selection. Since that note tool is primarily for note taking, it should be sth like Take Notes.
  3. I don't know why but I'm little sad on removal of keyboard shortcut for highlights.

• While browsing highlights through main calibre, it opens same book in different viewer. I guess it would be better if it opens highlights in same viewer rather than opening same book in different viewer. (But once book is open we can browse highlights from there too,so it won't matter)

I was eagerly waiting for this beta. And since everything seems to be perfect.I guess It's high time to finish 2-3 books so that it will be worth Kovid hard work.
Advert
Old 08-06-2020, 04:39 AM   #153
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@The_AD: Selection handles have to work with touchscreen (ie. fingers) as well as mouse. The popup where you can enter notes is to create/edit highlights. Notes takes the major space, however, the purpose it to create a highlight without or without notes. If you want only a single viewer instance, set the relevant option in the miscellaneous section of the viewer preferences.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:31 AM   #154
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Oh, I didn't expect you implemented the dark mode for the content server as a whole. I wanted to ask but thought that you were overwhelmed already. Great job.

The comment field is not inverted though. I suggest the "internet search" icon be this one.

Oh, I wish I could have it on archlinuxarm now. I could switch to the Browser Viewer entirely. Of course, I would still have to figure out how to sync the annotations from my Pi to my PC.

Great job.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:27 AM   #155
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Released 4.99.10 with the following changes:

I am hoping that barring bugs I am done with highlights. Thanks for all the feedback to help polish this feature.
Thank you very much for all the improvements and for making it so customizable! The more compact design is perfect. Love it!

Minor bugs/suggestions:

1) When you double-click a highlight, the associated note appears below the selection bar, but line breaks are ignored, unless they are double. Example:
Spoiler:
Note:
Code:
Line 1
Line 2

Line 3

Line 4
Line 5
Displays:
Code:
Line 1 Line 2

Line 3

Line 4 Line 5

This also happens on main calibre (Browse annotations).

2) Merge "Delete" and "Delete selected" buttons. There is no need for both. If you select multiple highlights, they should be deleted hitting "Delete", instead of just the last one.

3) Great to see Dark mode on the server! Like @nqk said, comments/comments like fields are not adapted to Dark mode.
Advert
Old 08-06-2020, 07:46 AM   #156
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Regarding text fields in dark mode, yeah I couldnt figure out a good way to do it, needs research.

@thiago: yes a blank line is needed for a new paragraph. Merging the buttons will not really make a difference, since it doesnt save any space, it will just make the edit button huge.

@nqk: The annotations are in the db so if you sync libraries it should mostly happen automatically.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #157
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yes a blank line is needed for a new paragraph.
Ok. A single line break is respected on viewer Browse annotations, though.

Quote:
Merging the buttons will not really make a difference, since it doesnt save any space, it will just make the edit button huge.
I think you misunderstood my point. My suggestion is to remove "Delete selected" button. The above "Delete" button could remove single or multiple notes. Below, you would have only "Ok" and "Cancel".
Old 08-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #158
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
Ok. A single line break is respected on viewer Browse annotations, though.
Sorry am confused, what is viewer browse annotations?? You mean the highlights panel?

Quote:
I think you misunderstood my point. My suggestion is to remove "Delete selected" button. The above "Delete" button could remove single or multiple notes. Below, you would have only "Ok" and "Cancel".
The buttons in the details panel all operate only on the currently displayed item, having one of them operate on all selected items would be inconsistent.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:58 AM   #159
jony08
Connoisseur
jony08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I don't know if these suggestions have been suggested already.

Suggestion 1: One click on a highlight in the Highlights panel should go to the highlight.
Suggestion 2: Two clicks on a highlight in the Highlights panel should show the selection bar with the note.
Suggestion 3: One click on the highlight when browsing the book should show the selection bar and the note.
Suggestion 4: Two clicks on the highlight when browsing the book should edit the note.
Suggestion 5: Selecting a highlight in the Highlight panel should show the note under the highlight just like in the Search panel, instead on the bottom of the panel.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:06 AM   #160
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

1. No. That would mean there is no way to browse the highlights without also jumping around in the book

2. No, given 1.

3. Already rejected, see above

4. No. Why is it guaranteed you want to edit the highlight on double click rather than copy the text or search for it or whatever

5. Not worth the trouble to implement at least for me
Old 08-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #161
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
Sorry am confused, what is viewer browse annotations?? You mean the highlights panel?
Sorry. "Browser annotations" is mains calibre. On viewer, the option "Browse highlights". In there, when a highlight has a note, it appears at the bottom, and single line breaks are respected.

Quote:
The buttons in the details panel all operate only on the currently displayed item, having one of them operate on all selected items would be inconsistent.
Oh, I see the logic. Ok, then.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:20 AM   #162
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
Sorry. "Browser annotations" is mains calibre. On viewer, the option "Browse highlights". In there, when a highlight has a note, it appears at the bottom, and single line breaks are respected.
Ah, that is indeed a bug. It should be using the same rendering as other places.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:53 AM   #163
thiago.eec
Guru

Quote:
Ah, that is indeed a bug. It should be using the same rendering as other places.
Well, since that is already coded and working, couldn't you replicate that instead? Why discard a line break?
Old 08-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #164
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Because single ine breaks are commonly used just to prevent over long lines. All text markup formats, markdown, rest, gutenberg etc all use blank lines to separate paragraphs.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #165
jony08
Connoisseur
jony08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I get this error when I click export and haven't created any highlights in the Highlights panel:
"calibre, version 4.99.10
FEL: Ohanterat undantag: <b>TypeError</b>:error_dialog() missing 1 required positional argument: 'msg'

calibre 4.99.10 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Linux-5.7.0-1-amd64-x86_64-with-glibc2.2.5 Linux ('64bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '5.7.0-1-amd64', '#1 SMP Debian 5.7.6-1 (2020-06-24)')
Python 3.8.3
Interface language: sv
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Bokus (0, 1, 0) && Find Duplicates (1, 7, 2) && Search The Internet (1, 7, 6)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/viewer/highlights.py", line 359, in export
TypeError: error_dialog() missing 1 required positional argument: 'msg'"
Closed Thread