Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 02-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Smile Sunrise XP alpha 5 released

Yep, another release. And I'm pleased as always to announce it, blah blah, yadda yadda.

This major change in this release is the rearrangement of the Document Properties dialog. I wanted to clean up some things in the interface before proceeding with implementing the rest of the planned features. These changes are rather pervasive, so I wanted to drop another alpha.
  • New: Support for including full-size, alternate images.
  • Fixed: Long-standing issue with the conversion to 2bpp and 4bpp images. Due to this, images would end up being too bright and dark patches would disappear.
  • Fixed: Document names are now limited to 26 characters, per the Plucker document specification. (Previously, 31 characters were allowed.)
  • Changed: Rearranged the Document Properties tabs and its secondary dialogs.
  • Removed: Ability to specify multiple sources. You can now specify only one source.
Download page
Old 02-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Lightbulb Full-size images

This release reintroduces the option to include full-size images. This lets you see thumbnailed images in all their glory. (Simply tap the thumbnail image in the Plucker viewer, then drag the image around.) See the attached screens for an example. Ohhh... isn't it pretty? I also included the SXL for the blog, so you can try it out for yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	apaintingaday1.png
Views:	410
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	961   Click image for larger version

Name:	apaintingaday2.png
Views:	501
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	962  
Attached Files
File Type: sxl A Painting a Day.sxl (826 Bytes, 523 views)
Advert
Old 02-08-2006, 03:43 AM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Lightbulb Comics and Date Stamps

The cucumber didn't really illustrate the concept of full-size images very well.

As the attached screens show, resizing a comic to a thumbnail makes it too fuzzy to be readable, but in full-size form it's perfectly sharp. I also attached an example SXL with Dilbert and D.C. preconfigured.

You can get much more comics feeds here:

http://www.tapestrycomics.com/

The SXL also shows off the capability to save feeds and output only new feed items. (To achieve this, Sunrise XP compares the previously saved feed items with those from the feed on the server, much like a regular news aggregator does.) The result is that you only get the newest comic(s) since the last update.

To prevent overwriting any existing, unread comics the Plucker document is date-stamped. I.e. "Dilbert 060206", "Dilbert 060207", "Dilbert 060208". (The date stamp can be configured by clicking the ellipsis button next to Name field in Document Properties.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dilbert1.png
Views:	423
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	965   Click image for larger version

Name:	dilbert2.png
Views:	493
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	966  
Attached Files
File Type: sxl Comics.sxl (2.4 KB, 486 views)
Old 02-08-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Device: TX
Images! YAY!

Laurens, this is the best improvement yet, and one issue I've hoped to see addressed for a long time. I can't wait to try it out.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #5
weareborg
weareborg began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia E90, Nokia 770, Nokia N95, Cybook Gen 3
Hi Laurens, Sunrise is a fantastic program! I'm sorry to bust in on this thread with a mundane / nooobie question but can I install the new alpha version over the one I just downloaded yesterday (0.42j). Will it retain my settings or do I have to start afresh?
Cheers for any help in advance,
Best,
wab.
Advert
Old 02-09-2006, 03:11 AM   #6
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareborg
Hi Laurens, Sunrise is a fantastic program! I'm sorry to bust in on this thread with a mundane / nooobie question but can I install the new alpha version over the one I just downloaded yesterday (0.42j). Will it retain my settings or do I have to start afresh?
Thanks. Yes, you can use both versions side by side just fine.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:14 AM   #7
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
I think what Laurens meant to say is that the alpha version and what you downloaded yesterday are two entirely different products essentially. A rebuild.

Installing the new alpha over the old sunrise would be strange...but you can run them side by side. Though I do not know sunrise, I do not think the alpha version will absorb the settings of the older sunrise.

You'd have to ask Laurens that.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:02 AM   #8
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Talking Alpha 5a released

Alpha 5a fixes a long-standing bug: cancelling an update could, in some instances, crash the application. Hopefully, all the cancellation bugs have been squashed now.

Download page
Old 02-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #9
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Device: TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan
I think what Laurens meant to say is that the alpha version and what you downloaded yesterday are two entirely different products essentially. A rebuild.

Installing the new alpha over the old sunrise would be strange...but you can run them side by side. Though I do not know sunrise, I do not think the alpha version will absorb the settings of the older sunrise.

You'd have to ask Laurens that.
I'm doing exactly that right now. At an earlier alpha, I wasn't getting SunriseXP to work, so I kept Sunrise 0.42 as a backup and used that. Totally different programs despite the cosmetic similarities. They have separate conduits too, so you can disable the Sunrise 0.42 conduit and only have SunriseXP's conduit active, or vice versa.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #10
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie68
They have separate conduits too, so you can disable the Sunrise 0.42 conduit and only have SunriseXP's conduit active, or vice versa.
You can actually have both Sunrise and Sunrise XP conduits installed and enabled.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:42 AM   #11
weareborg
weareborg began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia E90, Nokia 770, Nokia N95, Cybook Gen 3
Great. Cheers for all the clarifications!
Going to d/load alpha now... I nearly paid for quick news.. this wipes the floor... as the say.
Great job.
wab.