Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Has anyone else had any issues with their nook freezing up?

It seems like it has gone to sleep but it will freeze on the page I'm reading or the last read page. I don't know how long after an action this takes to happen, but it seems like a few minutes. I'll hit the page turn buttons, no luck. I'll try the touch screen, no luck. I tap the power button and it sort of restarts the device fine except for the fact that it won't remember the most recent page read and takes a couple minutes to sort of reboot.

This had happened 3 times since I received it on Wednesday. It's annoying. Also I think it is unnecessarily draining the battery. Is there a fix for this or should I contact B&N or is it the known bug being fixed in the next release?

Other than this issue I really love my nook.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
It seems like it has gone to sleep but it will freeze on the page I'm reading or the last read page. I don't know how long after an action this takes to happen, but it seems like a few minutes. I'll hit the page turn buttons, no luck. I'll try the touch screen, no luck. I tap the power button and it sort of restarts the device fine except for the fact that it won't remember the most recent page read and takes a couple minutes to sort of reboot.

This had happened 3 times since I received it on Wednesday. It's annoying. Also I think it is unnecessarily draining the battery. Is there a fix for this or should I contact B&N or is it the known bug being fixed in the next release?

Other than this issue I really love my nook.
I would back up your books and reset it to factory and get the over the air update again. Sounds like something is wonky. For the battery it doesn't last as long as one would hope. You can all ways try the full drain and charge over night.just keep checking for bn updates should drain it relatively good. or just use it till drains then do the charge.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #3
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is the over the air update and how does one get it? I think I received the most current version out of the box.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Haven't seen that issue on my nook, but you may want to follow the instructions on this thread at the B&N forums which some have had success with:
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...lks/m-p/457944
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Joykins
Wizard

I reset it to factory settings about 6 times now. It is *much* more stable now. The only problem I have is that sometimes (like maybe once every other day or so) it will restart when I try to wake it up. It doesn't always lose my bookmarks when it does this and the restart doesn't take very long.

I did discover that I needed to re-download the books that I bought pre reset. Oops, because I was on a plane at the time. Luckily I had some other ones to read that I had sideloaded or bought after.
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #6
Joykins
Wizard

Has anyone else had the "reboot when waking up from sleep" issue? this is less annoying than the "freeze and reset" issue but only marginally. Last page read is still lost on some books (I don't know the format; some B&N books lose nothing and others lose the last page read; My Documents seem to always have a problem).
Old 09-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Has this been an issue anymore for people with the 1.4 firmware? My nook has gone from being flawless to freezing daily. It is happening with various books and completely at random. I'm getting so frustrated with it I have started reading on my new iPod touch as well. Freezing is the reason I stopped using my Jetbook Lite and if the nook is going to be the same kind of headache I will sell it now before the new version comes out and lowers the value.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
My 2 cents. I have had my Nook for just over a week now, have about 750 books on it so it takes a while to boot from a cold start. That said, I have only had time to read one book BUT I remember with our CoolER (British ereaders) if a Word doc or epub was imported poorly it would often do one of the following:
1. Not remember the last page you were on.
2. Not go past page 53 in any book (once this starts)
3. Not boot at all.

A firmware reflash, reload of the books and everything would be fine....for a while. This is why we got the Nook; if it takes a dump there is someone local whose feet we can hold to the fire...
jeffcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
Ryan_Phx
Enthusiast
Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Ryan_Phx once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2, Nook, Kindle DXG
Yeah, mine still freezes every once in a while. It just stops responding to anything--the buttons, the n key, the touch screen...I have to turn it off and back on to get it working again. It does remember the last page in the book I was reading, though. For now, I'm just dealing with it, hoping the 1.5 update fixes it.
Ryan_Phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #10
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I've only had one freeze up over the 3 months I've had my Nook & it was my fault because I clicked on too many things one right after another. It doesn't respond like my Mac computer to quick changes from one link to another....duh ;o)
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
Having worked on small consumer-grade devices like this I am aware but you would be surprised how seriously under-powered the processor is. At the end of the day, it is as powerful as it needs to be for 90% of the public. Any more powerful and they would have to deal with heat and power consumption not to mention cost issues. It is a trade-off. I mean the processors in your typical ereader are less powerful than 2-3 generations old PC/Mac gear. Thats why my Nook costs less than your iPad, A lot less. It does less too but that is fine; it does *enough*, quickly *enough*. For me that is; as they say, YMMV.
jeffcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I reset mine and reloaded the books and so far so good. I had about 300 books on it and maybe that is too many. Anyway it is working fine again so hopefully it stays that way.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and Kobo Glo HD
I have experienced these problems in the past. Most notably, I would "turn it off" leaving it at the screen with a picture... essentially putting it in suspend state. When I went to read again, it wouldn't come back up even though I had approx. 50% battery when I stopped reading previously. If I put it on the charger, it wouldn't come back up. If I left it on the charger, after about an hour, it would reset and come back up. I did a lot of troubleshooting and talking with BN about it. They finally sent me a new battery and I haven't seen this bahavior since replacing the battery.
Larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:56 AM   #14
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
The most I have had, was, after a couple of weeks or a month or so, it gets a little slow to respond / page turns lag / etc. I reboot it and it's fine. Only time I got close to a freezeup was trying to open a huge, complicated PDF file when I was screwing around with it at first.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #15
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
I'm convinced that most of these problems are battery related.
(Nook misreading charge level of battery)
Put your Nook on charge, everynight for 1 week, see if the problems go away.
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote