Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #31
BugA
Enthusiast
BugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enough

Device: Prestigio Nobile PER3162BN, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleuzer View Post
BugA does seem to be right. But swiping from left to right... takes you backward! I just thought it was going backward because I was tapping the left page back zone with my thumb. It seems counterintuitive to me to sweep right and go left, and vice versa, but in practice it's very easy to get accustomed to.

Love the Paperwhite!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugA View Post
Swiping from left to right turns the page back, and swiping from right to left turns page forward (as would be in real life).
That`s what I said =) It doesn`t seem counterintuitive to me, as that is the motion you would make to turn the page of a real book, I guess that was the logic they followed.
BugA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Do you have a PW? If swiping to turn pages does not work for you than it might be some problem with your device, you should contact the support. Directional swiping is very relevant and very functional on the PW, to turn pages you can either use directional swiping or well positioned tap =)
Another point is of course that swiping is the ONLY way to turn pages on the home screen! (Tapping simply opens a book.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #33
kindleuzer
Enthusiast
kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: PW, K3 Kbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Another point is of course that swiping is the ONLY way to turn pages on the home screen! (Tapping simply opens a book.)
That's true, too. Although if you tap the "page/page" indicator, you can enter a page manually to go to. That can be useful if you have a lot of books loaded and have an idea of where the one you want is.
kindleuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleuzer View Post
That's true, too. Although if you tap the "page/page" indicator, you can enter a page manually to go to. That can be useful if you have a lot of books loaded and have an idea of where the one you want is.
Or, more usefully, you can go directly to a particular author or title, if you use author or title sort modes. Eg, I have my books sorted by author, and tapping the page indicator and entering "MAR" takes me to the start of my Ngaio Marsh books.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #35
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I got used to it right away. But I still miss the page turn buttons on my K3.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #36
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Do you have a PW? If swiping to turn pages does not work for you than it might be some problem with your device, you should contact the support. Directional swiping is very relevant and very functional on the PW, to turn pages you can either use directional swiping or well positioned tap =)

Quote from the Kindle PW user manual, bottom of page 7:

I stand corrected then. Obviously I didn't read the manual as well as I thought I had. My apologies & thank you for the info.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #37
BugA
Enthusiast
BugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enoughBugA will become famous soon enough

Device: Prestigio Nobile PER3162BN, Kindle Paperwhite
No problem, I hope you`ll enjoy the newly discovered functionality, too =) I use simple tap most of the time, but sometimes I prefer to swipe just for fun
BugA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:40 AM   #38
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
For me? Quite a while. I was/am so used to having turn buttons on the side.

I catch myself still thumbing the bezel hoping it moves forward in the books...
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #39
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I kinda wish I could 'flip' the touch zones, as just tapping where my left thumb sits (I hold the PW mostly in my left hand ) just turns the page back, not forward. I 'swipe' with my thumb instead, but I would prefer to be able to tap it to turn....I still love the PW though for many reasons, and the swipe isn't make-or-break. I don't miss the physical buttons, but it would be nice, too....I just want it all!
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:22 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I stand corrected then. Obviously I didn't read the manual as well as I thought I had. My apologies & thank you for the info.
Purely as a matter of interest, how were you using the home page without swiping?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:34 AM   #41
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Because I had begun getting used to touch screen devices in general, my immersion was immediate.

I too dislike the left-hand holding situation a little, but I tend to hold towards the bottom instead and then there's very little difference for me. I do personally like page turn buttons and I thought a home screen button made some sense, but in all honesty I've rarely thought about it since I started using the device.

The K3 was my favourite technological device and it brought me countless hours of reading happiness, but now with the PW I find that I'm under a similar spell.

Oh - and another thing. Love that screen.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #42
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
It didn't take me long, perhaps a day or two, to get in the habit of tapping to change pages but when I switch back and forth with my Kindle Basic it's a pain. I usually find myself tapping my Kindle Basic, less to change pages than to highlight a word to look up in the dictionary.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #43
Casey57
Connoisseur
Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3/Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch/iPhone/iPod/iPad
I go between my K3 and PW (I take my K3 to work to catch up on blogs/newspapers in morning and at lunch and primarily use my PW for reading in bed at night), so I sometimes will reach for a page turn button that is not there or try to swipe when I should be pressing the button. I am okay with both and it's a good thing!
Casey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #44
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Purely as a matter of interest, how were you using the home page without swiping?
Put only a few books on the device so it's only one page...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #45
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Oh I knew it swiped to go through collection pages but I didn't think it swiped to turn the page while reading. No idea why.

I have a Sony which uses swipe and not tap to turn pages. I've found myself doing that occasionally while reading and just thought that it turned the page because I was in the particular tap zone. And I did read the manual when I first got it but either forgot or missed that part about swiping to turn pages.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote