Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-28-2012, 04:45 AM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Personal Documents Cover Fix!

I by accident discover how to get the KF to generate carousel covers as they are sent your Fire! No more clearing Kindle Data needed once you update the covers in Calibre by reconverting or Save to disk. It wont fix covers in white that are already on your KF just all the new books sent from now on.

It's a cover size issue. I don't know why but I recently install a plugin for Calibre called Resize Covers. By default it resizes the cover to 450x680. I started using this as my default cover size for new books I've added and tonight it dawned on me, all the books I sent to my Fire using this size have shown up on the carousel! This explains why every now and then a cover would make it through. It was the size! The ones with the other sizes still show up white but now we know how to fix this problem for future books! *does happy dance*

Someone can experiment with different sizes if they want to understand it better. I know size 450x680 works. I am a happy camper and now I must go to bed.

Update: You can use the save to disk feature without conversion to fix the cover.

Last edited by Blossom; 08-28-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
So, then, anything smaller will also work? I usually use 333x500. Maybe that's why my covers show up most of the time.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I by accident discover how to get the KF to generate carousel covers as they are sent your Fire! No more clearing Kindle Data needed once you update the covers in Calibre by reconverting or Save to disk. It wont fix covers in white that are already on your KF just all the new books sent from now on.

It's a cover size issue. I don't know why but I recently install a plugin for Calibre called Resize Covers. By default it resizes the cover to 450x680. I started using this as my default cover size for new books I've added and tonight it dawned on me, all the books I sent to my Fire using this size have shown up on the carousel! This explains why every now and then a cover would make it through. It was the size! The ones with the other sizes still show up white but now we know how to fix this problem for future books! *does happy dance*

Someone can experiment with different sizes if they want to understand it better. I know size 450x680 works. I am a happy camper and now I must go to bed.

Update: You can use the save to disk feature without conversion to fix the cover.
I import all my books to Calibre. When editing the data, I always check the Amazon cover which is 500 or lower.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I import all my books to Calibre. When editing the data, I always check the Amazon cover which is 500 or lower.

Carol
Me too and I always get white covers. Using the new size I get normal covers. So I don't know if it's the width or height or both that needs to be a certain size but I do know using 450x680 works every time. I guess my covers were too small.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
So, then, anything smaller will also work? I usually use 333x500. Maybe that's why my covers show up most of the time.
I don't know. I usually use amazon covers and they are smaller and they never show up correctly by using this plugin it will fix the problem. It's easy! You just click the Resize Cover's button and it auto resizes the cover to the new size then reconvert.

I've done it on over 10 books all covers made it through.
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Me too and I always get white covers. Using the new size I get normal covers. So I don't know if it's the width or height or both that needs to be a certain size but I do know using 450x680 works every time. I guess my covers were too small.
Since I've been using the Amazon covers I haven't had a problem. Of course now that I just posted this, next time it will probably not work.

I think someone posted a while back about using the Amazon covers. I think that's why I started using them.

Carol
Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Since I've been using the Amazon covers I haven't had a problem. Of course now that I just posted this, next time it will probably not work.

I think someone posted a while back about using the Amazon covers. I think that's why I started using them.

Carol
Well That's odd I use Amazon covers and almost always get the white covers on the carousel.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Well That's odd I use Amazon covers and almost always get the white covers on the carousel.
Most of my books are from Amazon, so I don't have a lot of ones that I'd have to email as docs.

Carol
Old 08-29-2012, 02:31 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Most of my books are from Amazon, so I don't have a lot of ones that I'd have to email as docs.

Carol
I run all my books through Calibre even all the ones from Amazon.
I have to add a working TOC, indents and a space after each paragraph then smarten punctuation if need. I then upload them to my personal documents cloud which is getting kind of crowded. I keep sending historicals even though I haven't read one this year. All contemporaries.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
I have to add a working TOC, indents and a space after each paragraph then smarten punctuation if need. I then upload them to my personal documents cloud which is getting kind of crowded. I keep sending historicals even though I haven't read one this year. All contemporaries.
I run all my books through Calibre too. But I only send non Amazon books to my devices through the email to device feature. Even though I run them all through Calibre to 'fix' them, I download the ones from Amazon directly to the device.

Carol
Old 08-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Blossom, I do much the same thing. I get free or purchased books on my main account, run through Calibre, then send them as p-docs to my secondary account. Works for me!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Blossom, I do much the same thing. I get free or purchased books on my main account, run through Calibre, then send them as p-docs to my secondary account. Works for me!
It's what I prefer but before I had to clear Kindle Data to get those covers to show up. My Kindle database is at 115MB and it takes forever to rebuild itself now. I'm so relieved to have found a fix to keep from having to drain 25% of my battery each time. It seems the more books I load on my KF the faster the battery drains.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
Blossom you're a Live SAVER! Thanks! I got my Kindle Fire today and I was sad because the covers didn't shows up. Thanks for the tip!
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Blossom you're a Live SAVER! Thanks! I got my Kindle Fire today and I was sad because the covers didn't shows up. Thanks for the tip!
I hope it works for you. In doesn't seem to always work. It work fine for two weeks for me then stop. My guess is it's a server issue.

What does work always is clearing the Kindle Data app and let the covers rebuild and sync from server. Once that is done just restart the Fire.

This is for KFv1 I don't know anything about KFv2 or KFHD. I've asked but no one has really answered yet.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #15
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
Quote:
I hope it works for you. In doesn't seem to always work. It work fine for two weeks for me then stop. My guess is it's a server issue.

What does work always is clearing the Kindle Data app and let the covers rebuild and sync from server. Once that is done just restart the Fire.

This is for KFv1 I don't know anything about KFv2 or KFHD. I've asked but no one has really answered yet.
So far the books I used the plugin and sync with Calibre worked fine.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote