Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #31
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I'm as much an apple hater as anyone. But right now the nexus is still 8GB, doesn't have an aluminum body and doesn't have a 10 hour battery life. So in the words of President Obama, nothing you've just said is true.
We know it will get 16GB in a few days, nobody will pay full price for the 8GB now. It has a better processor, better screen, and battery life should be around 10 hours -- a lot more if you underclock the processor so that it is on par with the iMini.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #32
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
We know it will get 16GB in a few days. It has a better processor, better screen and battery life should be around 10 hours -- a lot more if you underclock the processor so that it is on par with the iMini.
I asked a specific question and you responded with deliberately false information. I know that many have blind hatred for all things Apple, but that's pretty sad.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #33
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I asked a specific question and you responded with deliberately false information. I know that many have blind hatred for all things Apple, but that's pretty sad.
Lol, no. I responded with correct information. So now you become a "blind hater" for pointing out a few facts? You were right about the aluminum unibody. Not that that is a feature, or matters in any way, but cheers for you, non-hater!

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-23-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #34
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Lol, no. I responded with correct information. So now you become a "blind hater" for pointing out a few facts?
For starters, where can you find a Nexus 7 with an aluminum unibody?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #35
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Wasn't Jobs strongly AGAINST a 7" tablet? What are they doing exactly?
Yep. He made some comment about requiring a user of a smaller tablet to have sandpaper handy to sand down fingers for using a smaller screen.

Of course, he also maintained that 3.5 inches was the perfect smartphone screen size, and now there's an iPhone with a bigger screen now that he's gone.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #36
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
So I guess you would never buy an iphone -- Nokia or HTC only for you? And even their unibodies aren't aluminum. Perhaps you don't have a phone, since they all lack this important feature.

Last edited by HansTWN; 10-23-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #37
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
gentlemen...
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #38
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
What tablet has 16GB, an aluminum unibody, and 10 hour battery life for $229?
While I can't answer that question, I still feel the iPad Mini is overpriced for what you get. This November I will be able to get a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 or a Nook HD+ with 16GB storage for less than the price of the iPad Mini. In each case I will not only get a larger screen (8.9" for Kindle, 9.0" for Nook, against 7.9" for Apple), but I will also get significantly better resolution, as both alternatives have 1920x1200 panels against 1024x768.

As someone who will be spending all my time with a tablet looking at the screen, that resolution deficit is almost impossible to make up at even the same price as the two competitors I mentioned, let alone at a higher price.

For me, the screen is the single most important feature of a tablet, and Amazon and BN have raised the bar to the point where 1024x768 is simply not worth consideration at anything over $200. Even at $200 it's behind the curve with Google, Amazon and BN all offering higher resolutions on 7" screens.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #39
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
While I can't answer that question, I still feel the iPad Mini is overpriced for what you get. This November I will be able to get a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 or a Nook HD+ with 16GB storage for less than the price of the iPad Mini. In each case I will not only get a larger screen (8.9" for Kindle, 9.0" for Nook, against 7.9" for Apple), but I will also get significantly better resolution, as both alternatives have 1920x1200 panels against 1024x768.

As someone who will be spending all my time with a tablet looking at the screen, that resolution deficit is almost impossible to make up at even the same price as the two competitors I mentioned, let alone at a higher price.

For me, the screen is the single most important feature of a tablet, and Amazon and BN have raised the bar to the point where 1024x768 is simply not worth consideration at anything over $200. Even at $200 it's behind the curve with Google, Amazon and BN all offering higher resolutions on 7" screens.
As one of the only people in this thread actually considering buying the mini, I'll respond to your post.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with a Fire or a Nook, it's great that you can buy one for the same or less than the mini. I can't. Buy one, I mean. I'm not in the US.

I could buy a Samsung or Google tablet. But I've got an Apple computer and an iPod Touch, so staying with the Apple ecosystem is a huge plus, no need to rebuy apps or relearn an operating system. I'm also not a spec chaser, nor do I need the newest thing.

Sure, I'd like a higher resolution screen. But the same pixels as last year's iPad on a smaller screen will be pretty terrific. And it will run all the iPad apps. Right out of the box. No waiting for developers to optimize anything.

Anyway, the form factor is what I'm after, smaller and lighter than an iPad. Maybe there aren't many people looking for that, we'll find out.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #40
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I definitely see your point Synamon, though I would probably hold out for a full iPad in your case (but that may be my eyes speaking). As for the ecosystem, I have two Android devices, an iPhone, and one each of Windows and Apple computers on my desk so I'm not worried about ecosystem - I like both.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #41
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I'm not much of an Apple fan (I have an iPod Nano & my wife has an iPhone 3GS), but I'll have to admit the Mini looks very appealing to me. So it only has 169 dpi, it will still look good. I like that it's wider than my Nook and would be better for reading magazines (some of which aren't available on my Nook, but are available for iPad). The CPU is fast enough for it.

I could see myself using one, but I can't see myself paying the "Apple Tax". Maybe someone will buy me one or I'll trade something for one. If not, I'll stick with my Nook Tablet until I can save up enough dough for a Nexus 7.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #42
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastanley View Post
I think I will pass.
The iPad Mini is going to put a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE dent in every tablet on the market.. including Nexus7.. all the competition is shaking heads today.. wow.. I just returned my Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD today.. they are Dinosaurs compared to the iPad Mini.. just my 3 cents.. Apple is so far ahead of the completion it's scary.. I will be at the Apple store on November 2nd to pick mine up..
Doug

Last edited by MrDoug; 10-23-2012 at 09:12 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #43
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Who cares, you are attempting to turn irrelevancy into an argument.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #44
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
The iPad Mini is going to put a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE dent in every tablet on the market.. including Nexus7.. all the competition is shaking heads today.. wow.. I just returned my Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD today.. they are Dinosaurs compared to the iPad Mini.. just my 3 cents.. Apple is so far ahead of the completion it's scary.. I will be at the Apple store on November 2nd to pick mine up..
Doug
If it dents my tablet Apple will find themselves in court!!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #45
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
Doug
Likely you will be returning that iPad mini and getting one of those Dinosaurs again after you have seen the mini's screen. Reminds me of Jurassic Park...