Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #46
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Wow, the executives at those publishers that plan to direct sell to consumers must not realize how incredibly naive that is:
I believe I stated later in that thread that competing with Amazon was possible, but difficult. Maybe you didn't read that far.
If you had done a little more research , you would have found that I started a thread discussing how publishers might want to break Amazon's hold on the ebook retail market by direct marketing to consumers DRM free.
You would also find that I explained why publishers wanted DRM . That would take some research , though. Maybe you should try it.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #47
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
What a great thread... just wish some people would make their minds up... all over MR, we have preaching of the evils of DRM and now a major imprint is abolishing it - cries of joy and great celebration - not really, more moans and groans...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #48
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I wonder if this is going to make a dent in their ebook sales over the next few months? I know there's a handful of titles that I was going to buy that are indefinitely postponed until this is in place...
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #49
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
I believe I stated later in that thread that competing with Amazon was possible, but difficult. Maybe you didn't read that far.
If you had done a little more research , you would have found that I started a thread discussing how publishers might want to break Amazon's hold on the ebook retail market by direct marketing to consumers DRM free.
You would also find that I explained why publishers wanted DRM . That would take some research , though. Maybe you should try it.
My apologies, I must have been distracted by your usual condescending tone and worse grammar. Be advised though, in future I shall endeavor to hang off each of your carefully selected words in whatever fallacy laden post you decide to grace MobileReads with. I'm also going to take your advice on research and go back and read every one of your past posts so I can pick up the pearls of wisdom you've so graciously cast for unworthy swine, such as myself, to pick up and try (with my limited intelligence) to interpret.

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 04-24-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #50
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
This will actually move me towards buying a few TOR books since I've essentially avoided them. The combination of over-priced plus DRM was just too annoying, so I kept my SF buying to Baen, primarily. Obviously, I'd like to see them move their prices more inline with Baen as well, but this is an important and much welcomed step. (And it's not that DRM kept me from doing what I needed to do with a book - Apprentice Alf took care of that - but it was the principle.)
Yeah, and Night Shade and all the cool little publishers that have sprung up and get tracked here.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #51
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I remember years ago reading a lot of TOR books. Just like ACE books. Maybe that was before the internet and Amazon.
Well years ago they were a bit more cutting edge, too. More corporatised parent means editors have less choices quite likely.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:32 AM   #52
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Here's an interesting blogpost by Tor-published author Charles Stross, who, apparently, was consulted somewhat by the Tor/Macmillan people regarding this due to his earlier one about Amazon: More on DRM and ebooks

Quote:
Last week's blog entry on Amazon's ebook strategy went around the net like a dose of rotavirus. And, as we can now see from Tor's ground-breaking announcement I was only just ahead of the curve: people at executive level inside Macmillan were already asking whether dropping DRM would be a good move. Last week they asked me to explain, in detail, just why I thought abandoning DRM on ebooks was a sensible strategy for a publisher. Turns out my blog entry on Amazon's business strategy didn't actually explain my full reasoning on DRM, so here it is.
I've really only read Stross' Penguin/Ace-published stuff, but when Tor goes DRM-free and has decent pricing, I think I'll have to try his alternate timeline-switching space opera merchant clan series.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #53
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Heh, well the first couple of those were Tor webscriptions way back when. They are pretty good.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:52 AM   #54
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
*does the happy dance*
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:47 AM   #55
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
And in the French, Spanish and Italian Kindle Stores, Amazon still doesn't display any ebook DRM status...
More about it on my blog :
Almost 6 months later, still no DRM indications on the FR/IT/SP Kindle stores
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:56 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Wow, the executives at those publishers that plan to direct sell to consumers must not realize how incredibly naive that is:
I'm not sure the "naive" is the right word, but it would be a backward step to sell only direct to customers. The main reason I like to buy from Amazon is that it's a "one stop shop" for everything. I'm much less likely to buy a book if I have to take the trouble to go to a different site to buy it; I'd probably buy a different book from Amazon instead. If Tor decide to sell through their own site, that's great - as long as they also sell through the major eBookstores.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #57
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not sure the "naive" is the right word, but it would be a backward step to sell only direct to customers. The main reason I like to buy from Amazon is that it's a "one stop shop" for everything. I'm much less likely to buy a book if I have to take the trouble to go to a different site to buy it; I'd probably buy a different book from Amazon instead. If Tor decide to sell through their own site, that's great - as long as they also sell through the major eBookstores.
I think the "naive" was tongue in cheek based on the context of the quote

It would be a step back to sell direct only because publishers are not and likely won't be for some time experts in retail. Retailers know their customers and likely spend (the good ones anyway) a lot of time working out exactly how high they can take a price to maximise their profits.

That said, having a direct outlet means at any time a publisher can turn around to a single store and say that the terms offered are unacceptable. the fact the books are DRM free means that stores customers can at least still get the books. I think it might (nothing is certain ) give the publishers a little more freedom to manoeuvre in the future.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
It would be a step back to sell direct only because publishers are not and likely won't be for some time experts in retail.
No, it would (for me, anyway) be a step backwards because I don't want to have to go to a different website to buy books from each different publisher. I like buying from a single bookstore which stocks books from ALL the publishers. It's a matter of convenience for the consumer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #59
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
No, it would (for me, anyway) be a step backwards because I don't want to have to go to a different website to buy books from each different publisher. I like buying from a single bookstore which stocks books from ALL the publishers. It's a matter of convenience for the consumer.
Yeah, that's an issue also.

BTW I was missing a comma in my original post, I meant it would be "a step back to sell direct only, because" I didn't mean it was the only reason but that only selling direct would be an issue because of that reason. Didn't notice til I read your response though

I do think publishers need to sell through other online stores as well as their own. Much like how pottermore could do with the books being purchasable via other stores without having to sign up for yet another account.

Last edited by JoeD; 04-25-2012 at 10:44 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #60
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
But would it be a step back, truly? If all the publishers got together to create a single website then it would still be one-stop shopping.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote