Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
LittleRach
LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo One and Overdrive in the UK

I’ve lost my beloved Kobo Glo, and need to buy a new ereader.

I’m leaning towards the One, for the bigger screen, and the library integration. However our local libraries (Manchester, Rochdale and Oldham) no longer use Overdrive, they’ve changed to Borrowbox.

I’m also a member of Norfolk libraries, and they still use Overdrive, so that’s great.

But I wondered if anyone had joined several libraries purely to use their Overdrive services? It doesn’t seem as easy to join them as it used to be - I’ve just tried Liverpool and Cambden with no success.

Or should I give up on the Overdrive thing and save £90 and get the Aura2 (I have no need for waterproofness really)
LittleRach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I’ve used my Aura One with the Bexley online Overdrive successfully. Not that they have a large selection...
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #3
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I have an Aura One but I don't use it often because I find the size awkward.

I do use Overdrive but I use it through the website and ADE to send to device.

Being able to borrow direct from the device is nice, but if that's the only reason, well for me it would need more than that.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I can't address the UK library system. But if you can wait, it would be good as Kobo is likely to come out with a new ereader in the upcoming weeks.

If you can't wait, then I have two suggested possibilities. I don't think the Aura 2 is a very good device, but you might consider the H2O. Better resolution than the Aura 2 or Glo and a bigger screen, but not as big a hit to the wallet as the Aura One. Or, Kobo seems to be selling refurbs on eBay right now and the Glo HD is a nifty device and a significant upgrade to the Glo.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:26 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
my experience with UK libraries is that you can only join your local library ( as defined by post-code) and no others. A physical residency check has to happen before issuing on-line credentials .e. you have to present acceptable proof of address.
One workaround is that if you have friends/relatives in other cities/counties who are willing to share their library accounts....
I used to use both my local UK library + an out of state paid membership of FLP - Free Library Of Philadelphia ( about $50 for one year- sign up online from anywhere in the world ) but I dropped that once I had read all of my wish-list backlog. Dunno if that non USA service is still available.
My UK library continues to grow its epub catalogue albeit 50%+ seems to be in-vogue slutty romance trash. There's a great free app called libby which lets you browse checkout, read, return from any android tablet/phone, and it syncs across multiple devices
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
LittleRach
LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.

Thank you all.

I know you can join non-local librairies. They changed the rule on that a few years ago. So I live in Oldham, but I’m a member of Oldham, Rochdale and Manchester - because they’re near. And also Some small library somewhere in the Cotswolds that possibly comes under Gloucester, and Norfolk libraries because we went there on holiday.

I just don’t seem to be able to join any of the ones I’ve tried online (yetparadoxically, I joined Rochdale and Manchester online only, and Norfolk and Gloucester in person!)

I might see if I can phone someone if I remember during working hours.

I’ve gone with the KA1 because I really didn’t want to wait for the new release (might regret that, but hey ho), and the bigger screen appeals, and it wasnt much more than the H2O. And my hubby said I deserved it, so I believed him!
Old 04-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Enjoy your Aura One; I love mine. Let us know what you think when you get it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
LittleRach

It’s here!!
I got it today and so far I LOVE it.

I actually think it was an Aura HD I had before, not a Glo. But this is soooo much faster.
Love the bigger screen. Love the Overdrive integration. Already managed to get that working, so hassle at all.

If there’s one thing I’d change, it would be to have a bigger bit at the side that I can hold without pressing the screen. But I’m sure I’ll get used to that.

Definitely happy that I made the right choice.