Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #1
billbirchall
Enthusiast
billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Re: Sony eReader and Apple iPad

I have about a couple of hundred books on my Sony eReader and am thinking of getting an iPad. Is there any way of converting and transferring, any of those books, from the eReader, to the iPad? If so, how would I do it?

bill
billbirchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Your Sony books use Adobe DRM, and can be read on the iPad using any reading app which supports this DRM system. There are a number of such apps. "Bluefire Reader" is a good one, and it's free. No conversion will be necessary - just load the books via iTunes.

Hope this helps.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
billbirchall
Enthusiast
billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.billbirchall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Your Sony books use Adobe DRM, and can be read on the iPad using any reading app which supports this DRM system. There are a number of such apps. "Bluefire Reader" is a good one, and it's free. No conversion will be necessary - just load the books via iTunes.

Hope this helps.
Hi Harry,

I am not sure that all of my books on the Sony are Adobe DRM, does that matter (is it possible)? I thought that the 'advantage' of Sony, was that it could read different formats.

I assume, that if I get an iPad, I would need to download the Bluefire Reader, to it? You then go on to say, just load the books via iTunes. How do I get them from Adobe say, into iTunes, when they are in a format, that cannot be recognised by iTunes? I am a little confused. Also, what happens, if I buy a book from Apple, do I read it via Bluefire, or is that then defunct?

Bill
Old 03-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbirchall View Post
Hi Harry,

I am not sure that all of my books on the Sony are Adobe DRM, does that matter (is it possible)? I thought that the 'advantage' of Sony, was that it could read different formats.
It can read different formats, but I very strongly suspect that all your books are in ePub format. Is that not so?

Quote:
I assume, that if I get an iPad, I would need to download the Bluefire Reader, to it?
That's right. Just go to the App Store on the iPad, search for "BlueFire Reader", and download it.

Quote:
You then go on to say, just load the books via iTunes. How do I get them from Adobe say, into iTunes, when they are in a format, that cannot be recognised by iTunes?
Because once you've installed Bluefire, iTunes WILL know about them. Or, rather, Bluefire will. It will appear on the "Apps" tab in iTunes, and you just drag and drop your books onto it.

Quote:
Also, what happens, if I buy a book from Apple, do I read it via Bluefire, or is that then defunct?
If you buy books from Apple, you have to read them in "iBooks" (Apple's reader app). That's not an issue - you can have multiple reading apps installed on your iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
billbirchall
Enthusiast

Re: Sony eReader and iPad

Hi Harry,

I thought that some of my books were PDF and some that I converted using Calibre. I do not know if this makes a difference. In any case, I think that I am now more confident about using Bluefire, and for that I thank you.

Bill
Advert
Old 03-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
crash1211
crash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enoughcrash1211 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600, Entourage Edge, Nook Simple Touch, iPad2, Kindle 4
Depending on how old the reader is you may have some files that are LRF or LRX. If so, you should be able to download the purchases again from the Sony Store with the EPUB extension. I also find it is much easier to use Calibre to upload books to either Bluefire, or iBooks instead of iTunes. Just use the Calibre Server, and go to the IP address of your server using Safari, and then choose open book with either iBooks or Bluefire. It will then add the book to your library. Hope this helps some.
crash1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
billbirchall
Enthusiast

Crash1211
Thanks for the advice. I have Sony PRS-505 and do recognise the LRF format but not the other. I appreciate the alternate to iTunes version.

Billi