Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you misrepresent your address to buy ebooks?
Yes, for every purchase 6 4.72%
Yes, when the ebook is not available in my country 38 29.92%
Yes, to get a better price 10 7.87%
No, I've never needed to, but would if necessary 65 51.18%
No, I feel this is wrong 15 11.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I've never had to, being in Canada. But I can understand people who do. It would be a great opening line in a sitcom, "You're under arrest for suspicion of sending money to a book store out of your zone."
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I haven't done it, but I personally don't think it's wrong.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #18
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
I'd do it if I had to in order to buy something, but I haven't needed to yet. The closest I ever came was when I was trying to buy an e-book from the UK that isn't yet available here. Fortunately, I found a legitimate source elsewhere in the world that was willing to sell it to me.
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #19
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I would If I knew how. I don't see how it could be wrong. The publisher and author are getting the money they demand. The physical publisher here isn't going to lose a paper sale because I alread have the paper version and am not going to buy another. If they wanted to sell an ebook version they would, apparently they don't want to sell one. It's no different than going on vacation and buying a book while travelling.

Last edited by crossi; 02-22-2012 at 04:13 PM.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #20
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Very rarely for paid purchases, and only for things which are not only not available normally in my region, but also for a very good price and something I'd truly like to have.

I otherwise prefer to have my official purchasing stats show that Canadians like and appreciate low-cost deals made available to us.

I don't think I'd bother to do it for a merely somewhat lower regular cost on something, or for a hypothetically broadened selection. And I know I've passed on rather good deals in the US stores on stuff that I'd have been pleased to purchase if it had been made openly available to Canadians for the same price, but I can live without because I don't really need to own an e-edition and the library probably has a copy anyway.

I think I've done it for a total of 7 books out of the literally hundreds I've actually spent real money for.

Of course, it helps that I get mostly non-Agency books (or books that are non-Agency for Canadian purchasing purchases) and can use Kobo discount coupons, and that the selection in Canada is generally already fairly good, and that I live in an area with readily accessible well-stocked libraries and have no physical difficulties reading paper-printed versions of books.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #21
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Don't do it for EVERY purchase, but given the ever dwindling number of e-booksellers who can or will sell to anyone outside their home country, it's practically a necessity for those of us living in a non-English speaking country if we want access to English language reading material.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #22
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't know how to. I might if I did. I really hate geo restrictions.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #23
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
I haven't needed to (yet); if & when I feel I've just *got* to, then I will - not supporting an outmoded distribution system won't be an ethical hurdle for me.
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #24
sandyjunebug
sandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Touch 600
Its of no use, you cannot purchase an ebook or MP3 from the US site for a Canadian IP address, they know where you are. However you can buy the same paper book or cd. Does not seem right.
sandyjunebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How do you fake your address when the address you put in has to match the address the credit card is registered with?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #26
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I don't know how to. I might if I did. I really hate geo restrictions.
Exactly.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #27
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How do you fake your address when the address you put in has to match the address the credit card is registered with?
I must say I was very shocked that most places do not match the credit card address's I really thought that they would. Both the Sony store and Barnes & Noble allow my Australian credit card which is an Amex with an Australian Bank to be used even though in my account I have listed that I'm from Alaska. I thought that the bank would reject the charges but they don't I suppose they just check that the name/number and expiry is correct.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #28
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I must say I was very shocked that most places do not match the credit card address's I really thought that they would. Both the Sony store and Barnes & Noble allow my Australian credit card which is an Amex with an Australian Bank to be used even though in my account I have listed that I'm from Alaska. I thought that the bank would reject the charges but they don't I suppose they just check that the name/number and expiry is correct.
Interesting news if I want to use the Barnes & Noble store. Thanks for that.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #29
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Interesting news if I want to use the Barnes & Noble store. Thanks for that.
Note B&N used to check IPs so I use a free IP blocker for them, I think perhaps that they changed their processes a while back and don't do that check anymore but I still use the blocker just in case.

Also as with anywhere where you are not truthful in your account you must free your books as soon as you purchase them as the day may come when you get locked out.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #30
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
When necessary.

It is the only way for me to avoid geographical restrictions. The alternative to that stupid restrictive practice of control is a darknet visit.

I would much rather pay the author by buying the ebook.

Last edited by sabredog; 02-22-2012 at 09:05 PM.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote