Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #31
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Greg Bear, Forge of God

Asimov Foundation (hello, HBO?)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #32
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
the most famous authors you can think of who have never had a movie adaptation made of one of their books
Winston Churchill

EDITED: Further googling shows that I was wrong.

I'm reasonably certain, however, "the most famous authors who never had a movie adaption made of one of their books" would all be political figures.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 02-17-2012 at 10:20 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #33
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I'm reasonably certain, however, "the most famous authors who never had a movie adaption made of one of their books" would all be political figures.
I agree, somewhat. There is also those that are not famous enough to be noticed to be made into movies, even though they would make great movies. That is why in my very first reply in here I do mention the famous part, because I believe that once a book is movie worthy and the author or book is famous enough, it will be made into a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I am saying Steven Lyle Jordan even though you say most famous.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:50 AM   #34
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Man, this is a real challenge! Even every "famous" Canadian writer I like has had a book turned into a movie. Here are some (non-Canadians) that used to be famous, for which I couldn't find any movies based on their books:

Richard Brautigan (In Watermelon Sugar, Trout Fishing in America, Willard and His Bowling Trophies,...)
Ryszard Kapuscinski (Imperium, The Soccer Wars, The Emperor,...)
Milorad Pavic (Dictionary of the Kazars, Last Love in Constantinople,...)

Kapuscinski's books aren't really fiction, but that didn't stop Hunter S. Thompson's books from being adapted into movies. Brautigan's and Pavic's novels don't really have story arcs, so I guess they never got turned into scripts.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #35
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Uh, I suppose I should have stipulated famous for being authors. Otherwise, Hitler would be the winner.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #36
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #37
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Nope his Gulag and A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (spell?) were made into movies, just not by a Hollywood studio.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:13 AM   #38
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
How about:
Simone de Beauvoir
George Sand (though there seem to be several movies *about* her)

I would love to see some of Guy Gavriel Kay's novels made into movies, but I doubt he is sufficiently famous for it.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #39
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
There are a large number. As to how famous, that depends on who you are and what you know.

This list is from running down Calibre and seeing what caught my eye. There are many others I have in books.

Dale Brown
Lee Child (but that is being changed, as a film is in progress)
David Drake (I would love a Hammer's Slammers movie)
Vince Flynn
Dcik Francis (not sure about this and may be a non-US film)
W.E.B Griffin
Joe Haldeman (although a lot of Star Ship Trooper movie was based on Forever War)
James P Hogan
J.A Jance
Laura Lippman
Steve Martini
John R. Maxim
Matthew Reilly
James Rollins
Brad Thor
Stephen White
Stuart Woods
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #40
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
It really surprises me that Brad Thor and Vince Flynn still isn't on the silver screen, their books run more like a movie script (very visual) than a book.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #41
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
David Drake (I would love a Hammer's Slammers movie)
You are not alone.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #42
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Too easy; there's dozens of SF greats to list.
Movie SFX can't keep up with the imagination of a good writer.

Gordon Dickson. (Time Storm would be easily doable but it's short on explosions. )
Poul Anderson.
Edmund Hamilton.
Larry Niven.
Jerry Pournelle.
C.J. Cherryh.
Joan Vinge.
S.M. Stirling (ISLAND IN THE SEA OF TIME would make a cool movie.)
David Weber (not for lack of trying, though.)
E.E. Smith (I don't count the anime abomination.)
Frederik Pohl
Piers Anthony

The fantasy list would be at least as long.
And Eric Flint. I'd love to see 1632 made into a movie.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 AM   #43
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I don't see why Lucifer's Hammer (Niven and Pournelle) never made it into a movie. Considering the number of disaster type movies made.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #44
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
And Eric Flint. I'd love to see 1632 made into a movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I don't see why Lucifer's Hammer (Niven and Pournelle) never made it into a movie. Considering the number of disaster type movies made.
I think both should have been made into movies.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #45
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Greg Bear, Forge of God

Asimov Foundation (hello, HBO?)
I don't think any of his full length novels have been made into movies, but there have been a number of Asimov adaptations based on his shorter fiction, including Bicentennial Man, Nightfall and I Robot; to my knowledge, all of these adaptations (except Harlan Ellison's script for Nightfall basically stunk.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote