Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Anybody else using Google Currents?

A few months back google released a product called Currents.

I'm finding I really like the format more and more. I've never really been a fan of aggregate readers, but Currents seems to do a good job. The UI makes it feel like I'm reading a digital mag and the best part one doesn't have to be connected to the net to read.

I've not heard much talk here about the reader I'm wondering if other folks are using it. Right now the app is only available for Android and iOS platforms.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Looks nice, but I don't think it's available in Canada.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I haven't heard of it before. How is it different from Google Reader?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
I used currents and loved it however, I found it took far too long to refresh my news sources. I've tried many news aggregation apps (googlereader, greader, taptu etc...) but my favorite by far is Pulse which I use constantly throughout the day.

It truly is a fantastic app.

Last edited by Eskarina; 03-07-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
A few months back google released a product called Currents.
Tried it and didn't like it. Pulse is much better in my opinion.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskarina View Post
...but my favorite by far is Pulse which I use constantly throughout the day.

totally agree.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I had a look but apparently it is not suited for my Galaxy Nexus smartphone (which is odd as it runs a very up to date version of Android). There are a lot of news sources out there so it is going to face plenty of competition.
We get about 7 dedicated news channels on cable plus other news programs. I have a subscription to "The Australian", a high quality Australian newspaper and that also gives me content from "The Wall Street Journal" so that is probably enough general news. Other magazines like Science Daily I get on my ereader. I don't think I would want any more news!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I used it sparingly. It was simple and I liked that. Pulse was fine, too. But, if I had to pick one, I would probably go with Currents.

Can't really go wrong with either, though.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I haven't heard of it before. How is it different from Google Reader?
In one aspect they are the same they are aggrigators apps. However how they differ is how content is provided and displayed.

gReader allows you to select almost any RSS feed or blog and it converts it for you. However my experience is it was only a few lines and you needed to click on view all to read an article.

gCurrent the content providers must opt in to support Currents and I don't belive you can pick any source. However reading is very much like an eMagazine. It has TOC, you swipe to page next. But one of the things I like most about it is all the content is downloaded you don't need a WIFI connection to read the article. (Well this is mostly true there are some mags that don't download the whole article.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskarina View Post
I used currents and loved it however, I found it took far too long to refresh my news sources. I've tried many news aggregation apps (googlereader, greader, taptu etc...) but my favorite by far is Pulse which I use constantly throughout the day.

You can change the frequency, by default the sync time is 6hrs.

Plus is nice I use it myself, but I see it more like a direct compeditor to gReader.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I'd like to try it, but I don't have an Android device.

Why does everything have to be an app these days? What's wrong with the "plain old" web?
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

You can change the frequency, by default the sync time is 6hrs.

Plus is nice I use it myself, but I see it more like a direct compeditor to gReader.

=X=
I have Pulse set to refresh every 6 hours and every time I open the app. It also refreshes on demand either an entire category or specific feeds. That's what I meant by Currents taking too long to refresh. Also I found Currents to be a little buggy in that it kept showing pictures from news stories that were several days old on its home screen.

However, you may be right that Pulse is more of a direct competitor for gReader than Currents - it all depends on the kind of reading you're doing. I held onto Currents for a while hoping that the bugs may be ironed out with a new update but after a while, I went ahead and deleted it.

Last edited by Eskarina; 03-07-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
Eskarina
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
totally agree.
Oh yeah. It's also available on Apple's platform. I've downloaded Pulse onto four of my friend's iPads so far and all four claim to use it daily.

I can't believe it's a free app.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I use Currents occasionally on my Xoom, but still prefer Pulse which I have installed on three devices.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote