Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #46
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I haven't figured out how to put in a Paypal store yet. I do have a donate button, but having said that, several of my readers are from countries and situations that don't support Paypal, so there's that.

(If anyone sells through their site with something other than Paypal, I'd be interested to hear alternatives.)
Our retail store, Flipreads, supports other payment methods (I'm from the Philippines and here, neither PayPal or credit cards are as common as the US, so we're interested in alternative methods of payment). (However, this also means that orders aren't automated or immediate as Amazon or PayPal... an actual human actually processes the transaction and we have weekends off.)

These sites (1, 2) also list alternatives to PayPal (and with PayPal's ban against erotica fiction, some authors might want to look into them if they're writing in that genre).
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #47
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Just want to clarify some things:

JSWolf: Many authors don't have the final, edited version of their manuscript in a word processing file. They might have proofs (electronic or otherwise) where they last made their corrections. Few, if any, actually input their corrections into their *insert favored word processor file here*.

If you're a publisher (or anthology editor, in the case of short stories) looking to reprint a book, the best alternative really is to OCR the document and check for scanning errors.

Anemik Oak: They might have availed of Kobo's conversion service.

Avantman: Another problem of Big Publishers when checking their books is the sheer quantity they release. And then they'll have to do it for every store. Hence they depend on the conversion company to do the actual proofing, pre-submission to the various retailers (after it's submitted to the retailers, that's out of the conversion company's hands). However, you get what you pay for: some conversion companies actually proof their documents, others don't (and some mishaps are due to the retailer, as Anamardoll pointed out).

Anamardoll: what genre do you write in? If it's science fiction/fantasy, you can try submitting to Wizard's Tower Books and Weightless Books. You can submit the file you want.
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #48
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipreads View Post
Anemik Oak: They might have availed of Kobo's conversion service.
No, they didn't. These are epubs from a major publisher that Kobo screwed with after the publisher sent them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #49
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
The publisher is only responsible for the content he delivers.
If after a personal conversion (or the free conversion Amazon offers) errors occurs, it's not the publisher's fault.

Among the many things that are happening these days, is calibre, a great program to convert books, but it's auto feat is about the same as amazon.
Namely automatic conversion still prone to errors.

I always find it best to convert books to html0, manually edit the html for errors, before reconverting. This would reduce errors considerably, and allows you to manually edit the conversions.

Amazon converts for free, they don't charge for it, so they won't be held responsible.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Among the many things that are happening these days, is calibre, a great program to convert books, but it's auto feat is about the same as amazon. Namely automatic conversion still prone to errors.
Converting ePub > Mobi or Mobi > ePub, I have never personally or even read about any textual errors because of the conversion. The only issues are due to the codepage being wrong. But that's usually to do with eReader format. Sure, sometimes the formatting can be a bit off after the conversion, but the text is fine as far as the input format goes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #51
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes, text conversions are working fine, however, layout issues, hyperlink / toc / chapter link / footnote link issues, wrong title formatting happens quite frequently (not to mention a situation I frequently get on my jetbook mini, where the last word of a line, ends up as a single word on the next line).
Makes reading an absolute pain on the small 5" screen.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #52
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I wrote my book in Sigil for a clean ePUB. But it's annoying to me that only B&N will take it. Amazon's conversion tool is not very good if you have PNG images (the transparent parts go black), and while Calibre met my needs picture-wise, there's simply no way (that I could find) to tweak the final output manually. Frustrating!

I'm paying 52 Novels (JA Konrath's formatter) to take my ePUB and get me a word doc that I can upload to Smashwords because I want a "perfect" conversion (i.e., I want the Smashwords ePUB to match my initial PUB exactly), but even 52 Novels can't promise me that -- they can just promise close enough.

52 Novels is also doing my CreateSpace word doc because they have their OWN conversion process. At least in the case of CreateSpace, since it's a physical book, that makes a modicum of sense. *sigh*

Feedbooks actually expects you to write your novel (or copy and paste it) into their web browser directly. No. Just... no.
O_o

You should be kidding.

Calibre should make a (paid?) upgrade function for author tools...it would probably put the rest of these conversion companies out of business...
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yes, text conversions are working fine, however, layout issues, hyperlink / toc / chapter link / footnote link issues, wrong title formatting happens quite frequently (not to mention a situation I frequently get on my jetbook mini, where the last word of a line, ends up as a single word on the next line).
Garbage in, garbage out. If the source file has the correct data in the correct places or Calibre is told what the correct data is, then you get a good conversion as far as the data goes.

As for your JBM, it sounds like a bug in the reader app. I've never had such an issue with any of the Sony readers or iBooks on the iPad.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #54
ProDigit
Karmaniac

indeed, the Jetbook Mini is recognized as a regular Jetbook (as the mini is currently not supported yet, probably the reason; though Ectaco does give a manual saying that you need Bookdesigner or Calibre to convert books to the FB2 format).
They don't provide the software, but seemingly the web software does not even support the mini (didn't try bookdesigner though).
Old 02-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #55
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Someone forgot to set Widows and Orphans values.

Padding (what a cold or hot typesetter would do) only works for fixed page sizes.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #56
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
If the publisher isn't responsible, then who is?

I have just finished reading "Too Many Cooks" and the quality of this book is just simply crap. It was probably scanned and OCR'd and it appears that no real effort was made to proof read the book. "I'll" appears as "Ill" all the way through the book. Opening single quotes are lost at random, making it confusing to follow at times.

There is a section that is supposed to represent a menu, the text is centered but nobody actually tried to read it or they would have put in line breaks so that it actually makes sense.

It would appear that books are being thrown together with as little effort as possible and any errors are then blamed on "technical" or "computer" or "formatting" problems. With a modest amount of effort (like maybe actually reading the resulting conversion) most of these problems could be eliminated. There is no excuse for typos in any ebook. Most layout problems could be solved with a little thought. There are edge cases where not knowing the resulting page size can yield strange results but those should be very rare (at least for most fiction books.)

It;s not as if I am not familiar with the process of scanning a book and creating a layout for an ebook. As an ongoing project I have been scanning and creating ebooks of a a lead, out of print but still under copyright author. I know what's involved and I also know that I can make a book without typos and a a readable format. If I can do, then any publisher can. If they won't, then they shouldn't be charging money for their product.

Fortunately for me, I got "too Many Cooks" from the library. I would be really pissed if I had paid for it.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Someone forgot to set Widows and Orphans values.
I turn them off. I don't like them.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:31 AM   #58
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
If the publisher isn't responsible, then who is?
There is an argument (made above) that if the format conversion is done by the retailer, then the retailer is responsible. I'm inclined to think that in such a case, the retailer bears some responsibility, but I also think the publisher has a responsibility to provide a good source file. I'd prefer the retailers not to do any conversion, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
I have just finished reading "Too Many Cooks" and the quality of this book is just simply crap. It was probably scanned and OCR'd and it appears that no real effort was made to proof read the book.
I've read books that have been OCR'd, and which have had errors that should have been picked up during a proof-read. There's no excuse for it.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:42 AM   #59
poker467
Senior Junior Member
poker467 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
There are always going to be some errors in a conversion. If you start from an html document you can get as picky as you would like and eventually produce a near mirror image of your original book. Of course this takes some time, but that's because it works.

I haven't found a problem that can't be handled with notepad++ and calibre.
poker467 is offline   Reply With Quote