Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
I had a quick look at some of the product descriptions and they all stated: "This book consists of articles from Wikia" or "This book consists of articles from Wikia or other free sources online". Sounds pretty clear to me.
In large part that's what made me lose interest. They are covering themselves.

But if I search for "balverine" (a creature from the game Fable) on amazon.co.uk one of these books is about the fourth or fifth entry - fair enough, it's not a popular term. If I search for "balverine" on amazon.com there are none of these scraped books. So, the .com is doing something the .co.uk isn't - and that's what still kinda ticks me off.

A search for "halo guide" has one on the second page of results, but the description is nonsense and it's priced at £14.50 for a 40 page book. I don't expect many people to buy these, and if they do presumably they can return them under Amazon's typical returns policy.

This one even got a four star review from a confused parent:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Minute-A...467189&sr=1-39

Or how about this review from a granny:

"The book was fine though a little slim for the money. My grandson thought it okay and Amazon was the only place I could get it." - ten quid for a forty page book scraped off a Spyro the Dragon wiki.

It's a bit like spam - it doesn't take many idiots to buy these for it to be profitable for the companies to do it. I simply think amazon.co.uk should be doing more about it - I've seen independent authors complain about the difficulties associated with adhering to amazon's terms and conditions, yet companies like this have no trouble getting crap like this listed? Jeeze.

This all relates back to the ebook bubble we were discussing a few weeks back.

Anyway, going to stop thinking about it, because it's annoying me.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As someone who creates public domain ebooks for fun, I stopped worrying about "abusers" a long time ago. If I spend two months producing a nice ebook and give it away for free, and some low-life decides to sell it to make a fast buck on Amazon, I might be a tad irritated, but I can't have it both ways: the public domain means "free do to whatever you want with it", including selling it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #18
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
In large part that's what made me lose interest. They are covering themselves.

But if I search for "balverine" (a creature from the game Fable) on amazon.co.uk one of these books is about the fourth or fifth entry - fair enough, it's not a popular term. If I search for "balverine" on amazon.com there are none of these scraped books. So, the .com is doing something the .co.uk isn't - and that's what still kinda ticks me off.

A search for "halo guide" has one on the second page of results, but the description is nonsense and it's priced at £14.50 for a 40 page book. I don't expect many people to buy these, and if they do presumably they can return them under Amazon's typical returns policy.

This one even got a four star review from a confused parent:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Minute-A...467189&sr=1-39

Or how about this review from a granny:

"The book was fine though a little slim for the money. My grandson thought it okay and Amazon was the only place I could get it." - ten quid for a forty page book scraped off a Spyro the Dragon wiki.

It's a bit like spam - it doesn't take many idiots to buy these for it to be profitable for the companies to do it. I simply think amazon.co.uk should be doing more about it - I've seen independent authors complain about the difficulties associated with adhering to amazon's terms and conditions, yet companies like this have no trouble getting crap like this listed? Jeeze.

This all relates back to the ebook bubble we were discussing a few weeks back.

Anyway, going to stop thinking about it, because it's annoying me.

I still don't see your point. All the ones I looked at say clearly:
"This book consists of articles from Wikia or other free sources online."
Including the Halo guide you mentioned.

If some of then do not, then you have a case.
Otherwise... why impede free commerce? If someone think it is convenient for them to have webpages printed and packaged and is willing to pay for it... so be it.

Now, if some of those descriptions do not make it clear, then I think you are correct.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #19
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I would argue that the wikipedias TOS is meaningless legalese and that the material in question being sold on Amazon is protected by copyright. And then I would argue that copyright itself is meaningless legalese. And then I would order a pizza.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #20
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post

At a guess, the "creators" of those books just choose not to sell them outside the UK. Maybe they are worried about interference from the owners of the characters in the games, or maybe just being feedback bombed if the website owners stirred their regular users up enough. Either way I doubt it will be Amazon's decision.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote