Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #16
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Is there an Android version available as well? I like to write on my laptop using Word (duh) but there isn't anything fully compatible available on Android. I have a tablet that I can write on using a BT keyboard, and I would love to have the files in sync.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #17
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If you do look at the other threads you will see that the authors of Scrivener sometimes post here. Seem like nice peeps at least...

Glad to see this thread, because I been meaning to look into it, and now that I am just starting my 4th novel it be a good time to look at it.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:32 PM   #18
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Thanks for the tip. I have never heard of it until now. I just bought it. Looks charming.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #19
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Is there an Android version available as well? I like to write on my laptop using Word (duh) but there isn't anything fully compatible available on Android. I have a tablet that I can write on using a BT keyboard, and I would love to have the files in sync.
I never found a satisfactory solution, though I didn't look too hard to be honest. I'm rarely THAT far from a PC.

But, if you use a Dropbox folder for your writing - why AREN'T you using a Dropbox folder for your writing if you already aren't? Anyway... - you can edit the RTF files that Scrivener uses for body text and save them back. Haven't tried it so I can't say for sure if it would screw up when Scrivener then tried to reload the altered file.

Scrivener saves projects in a BUNCH of different files. eg 26.rtf for the main text for this particular section, 26_notes.rtf for the notes for that section, 26_synopsis.txt for the section synopsis and 26.links for links I guess (not used it deep enough to know what that's for). The "26" in this instance is just an internal reference far as I can see, which in this case represents my "chapter 6".

So, it looks like to me that you could do you main editing, and over-all blocking out of the plot, with Scrivener and do a bit of editing with your WP of choice on Android, so long as you sync the files with something like Dropbox. There are doubtless apps on Android that will let you save to your Dropbox folders.

or use Google Docs.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #20
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Be careful if you use Dropbox with Scrivener. There is a good thread on the topic in their forums (and linked in their FAQ). Last I checked it was only safe to put your "backup" file into Dropbox, not work on an open project in a Dropbox folder. Some people claim success but I saw a lot of "what happened?" posts because of sync errors.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #21
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Hmm. If nothing else that's persuaded me to up my number of local backups (automatic backup on close - perhaps I should backup on open as well. Yup, I believe so.) to ten, but I've had no problems using Scrivener at work and home using Dropbox - of course it only has to go wrong once.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #22
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Prob with dropdox probably comes in when Drop Box tries to update the file while Scrinver has it open. This could easily happen if ..

1) More then one person is using the same file at around the same ball park times
2) One or more local repos falls behind in sync due to network congestion or other issues.

I use dropbox with everything from MS word, to iBank, to Photoshop, to whatever. Works great. I even have Scrinver in it now.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote