Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you misrepresent your address to buy ebooks?
Yes, for every purchase 6 4.72%
Yes, when the ebook is not available in my country 38 29.92%
Yes, to get a better price 10 7.87%
No, I've never needed to, but would if necessary 65 51.18%
No, I feel this is wrong 15 11.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #76
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaejr View Post
Given the general tone and flavor of these boards I am surprised that the 'No, I feel this is wrong' option is not close to 100%

For what it's worth I never give out 100% accurate, personal information on the Internet....
Well, the other alternative is getting the book from the darket.
UK shop won't sell us anymore at all, US publishers geo-restict us...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #77
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Yes, if a book that I want isn't available in ebook format in my region. But only on Amazon (as I already had an US-based address added there, so I could buy stuff that couldn't otherwise be bought).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #78
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Having been a long time Kindle owner I have - as a matter of convenience - purchased my e-books on Amazon.com. Since I have bought Sony Readers and studied under the good Apprentice by the name of Alf and learned how to change my IP at will, I have also discovered, somewhat to my dismay, that a lot of e-books are actually less pricey from UK retailers. However, they are under the same geo-restrictions as their US counterparts. Since I'm not in the UK, I can't purchase from them. But since I am an accomplished liar, I am capable of untrammeling myself from the shackles of the geo-Talibans. It is a sad day when you need lies to quench your thirst for words.
I wouldn't have had to select my second address if I could buy from the EU. Last I checked the UK was in the EU. But I still can't buy ebooks from them... I don't read German or French, so I've no idea if I could buy from those countries...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #79
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Having been a long time Kindle owner I have - as a matter of convenience - purchased my e-books on Amazon.com. Since I have bought Sony Readers and studied under the good Apprentice by the name of Alf and learned how to change my IP at will, I have also discovered, somewhat to my dismay, that a lot of e-books are actually less pricey from UK retailers. However, they are under the same geo-restrictions as their US counterparts. Since I'm not in the UK, I can't purchase from them. But since I am an accomplished liar, I am capable of untrammeling myself from the shackles of the geo-Talibans. It is a sad day when you need lies to quench your thirst for words.
Karma is heading your way
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #80
bspline
Enthusiast
bspline began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Nokia E63, Kindle 2
Being from Brazil, yes I do it.
I have two Amazon accounts, one that is linked to an US-based e-mail service and has my wife's former address in Boston.
The other one is Brazilian-based and has my current address.
I use the American account less and less, since my Kindle is registered to the Brazilian account, and nowadays I get a somewhat even deal, some stuff is cheaper than in the US, other stuff is more expensive.
But it's a hassle having to strip DRM from stuff and manually uploading, I like the ability to sync at will.
bspline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #81
jmaejr
Banned
jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmaejr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350:Sony PRS-T1:Rooted Nook Tablet
I think I need a cheat sheet to keep all this straight, based on some of the wishy washy answers provided on several recent polls.

Piracy = ILLEGAL (the author receives no money)

Piracy when you own the treebook = OKAY (even though it still is piracy and illegal; the author receives no money)

Piracy when no e-version is available = OKAY (even though it's still piracy and illegal; the author receives no money)

DRM = BAD (used to fight copyright infringement i.e. Piracy among other things)

Removing DRM = OKAY because I bought the book dammit (even though it violates the TOS and is a breach of contract)

Using false address/info to set up checking accounts i.e. identity theft = ILLEGAL (lying and fraud, results in possible jail time)

Using false address/info to enroll child in different school = BAD (again lying and fraud)

Using false address/info to buy ebooks not available in ones market = OKAY (more lying and fraud; certainly violates the TOS)

So I can use false info to buy a book that is not available in my market, strip the DRM from it and give it to my friends that own the tree version and I should be OKAY...

Last edited by jmaejr; 02-27-2012 at 07:10 PM.
jmaejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #82
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Legality of the TOS service must be determined by the courts. If the TOS service state that you must not remove DRM that may well be invalid, since you are entitled to make a backup copy.

And you can circumvent geo-restrictions without making any false claims. Besides, upholding geo-restrictions really is between the authors, publishers, and retailers. In the end a sale is made end everybody is happy. No harm, no foul.

Last edited by HansTWN; 02-27-2012 at 10:35 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote