Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #16
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
that's the one I am getting once my contract is up in October
It's kinda ridiculous, the US prices of iPhones... I hear you can get the 5S Gold for $200 with a contract in the US.

Over here, iPhones are pure luxury, they will never be wide-spread. Last time I checked, iPhone 5 was €550 with a contract, which is $732 (less, but not much less with more expensive contracts), while a contract-free iPhone 5 costs €699 over here (that is $930). Most people in this country earn fewer euros/dollars per month than the price of an iPhone...
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #17
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Yay!!! Bought!
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #18
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
It's kinda ridiculous, the US prices of iPhones... I hear you can get the 5S Gold for $200 with a contract in the US.

Over here, iPhones are pure luxury, they will never be wide-spread. Last time I checked, iPhone 5 was €550 with a contract, which is $732 (less, but not much less with more expensive contracts), while a contract-free iPhone 5 costs €699 over here (that is $930). Most people in this country earn fewer euros/dollars per month than the price of an iPhone...
In Australia, not that expensive but bad enough. Staying with my 4S for now.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #19
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
In Australia, not that expensive but bad enough.
I have just checked this again. The new contract-free iPhone 5 cost €699 ($930) here a year ago, but there has now been (of course) a significant price drop to around €540 ($720). (Americans will laugh if they hear me call that an "iPhone price drop".) I have no doubt, however, that when iPhone 5S arrives here, it will be priced at €699 ($930) again!

For goodness' sake, even the new Nexus 7 that costs $229 in the US, costs €259 here in the E.U., which is $345 -- a 50% price increase compared to the US! Those global corporations just know no mercy, do they...

Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:24 AM   #20
chid
chid began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Well you wouldn't want to come to Australia. Anyway great release and update!
chid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #21
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
I dislike all 5 colours Apple introduced for iPhone 5C. Each and every one of them is of a lighter shade than I prefer. I would prefer a darker green, darker blue, etc. etc. I don't know, but they all seem to me like... ladies' colours??!!
More like kiddie colors. Apple's color options are putrid... Both for the new 5c and cases/covers for the iPads. How about some nice jewel tones??? At least I have been able to get a nice red (not leather) Smart Cover from knock-off sellers.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #22
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
With all the positive buzz about Marvin, I'm thinking about giving it a try. However, I don't have an iPad, only an iPhone, so I can't test it before purchasing. Can someone help me with the following questions?

* Can you adjust font and background colors manually with the standard Marvin app, or do you have to purchase Themes for that?

* Is hyphenation optional? -- i.e., can you turn it off if you don't want to use it?

* Are there any plans to add Adobe Digital Editions-based page numbers to Marvin? I'm guessing no, but I thought I'd ask since my Nook is ADE-based and it will make it easier to switch back and forth between my Nook and Marvin for iPhone if the page numbers are consistent. Otherwise, any suggestions on how to find my place when switching back and forth?

Thank you!
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #23
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Font & background colours: Yes. Themes as IAP only influence some elements of Marvin's GUI but *not* the actual *reading* themes.

Hyphenation: Yes, I keep it turned off all the time myself. :-)

ADE page numbers: Requested, no comment from Kris so far: https://github.com/kguil/Marvin-Roadmap/issues/65

Finding places: Probably only by searching.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #24
evanbernstein
evanbernstein began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, Marvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
With all the positive buzz about Marvin, I'm thinking about giving it a try. However, I don't have an iPad, only an iPhone, so I can't test it before purchasing. Can someone help me with the following questions?

* Can you adjust font and background colors manually with the standard Marvin app, or do you have to purchase Themes for that?

* Is hyphenation optional? -- i.e., can you turn it off if you don't want to use it?

* Are there any plans to add Adobe Digital Editions-based page numbers to Marvin? I'm guessing no, but I thought I'd ask since my Nook is ADE-based and it will make it easier to switch back and forth between my Nook and Marvin for iPhone if the page numbers are consistent. Otherwise, any suggestions on how to find my place when switching back and forth?

Thank you!
- adjusting font and background colors does not need a theme purchase. The theme purchase only affects the colors of the menu where you don't spend most of your time. It was intentionally a 'give money to the developer for no real added benefit' kind of feature.
- Hyphenation is optional.
- ADE page numbering has been logged as a feature request here https://github.com/kguil/Marvin-Roadmap/issues/65 but (if I'm reading Kris' tags correctly) it is probably not high on list of features, since it is not even currently tagged as a feature request. I'm not familiar with the nook, but if it tells you how many pages are in a chapter and how many you have read, Marvin has something similar, so while the numbers won't match, you should be able to get a rough percentage and find your way.
evanbernstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #25
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@Jane12 - Yes, you can set fonts and background colours - you don't have to purchase anything additional.

Yes, hyphenation is optional and you can turn it on and off on a per book basis if you like.

I am working on ADE-style page numbering, but I don't have a timeline for it yet.

Note about In-App Purchases (IAP) in Marvin:

Marvin's colour-scheme as an app is red (like Twitter and Facebook is blue). The IAPs in Marvin let you change that colour scheme to 8 additional colours colours (i.e. imagine waking up in the morning and saying "I don't like Facebook's blue, today I want it green"). I like switching themes to match the cover of the book I'm currently reading.

These themes are not related in any way to the colours you can set in the book. They are purely optional and don't give you any more functionality than "standard" Marvin does - i.e. there are no useful features in Marvin hidden behind IAPs.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #26
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Wow! Four answers in 20 minutes! Thanks everyone!

@kguil, special thank you for working on ADE-style page numbering.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #27
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
That's because US customers get shafted on the monthly plans instead. Sure, upfront cost is just $200 but ongoing monthly is $80 or $1,920 for two years.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #28
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@Jane12, you're welcome.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #29
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

US buyers will still pay the full price during the 2 year contract. Our service fees are wickedly expensive and I guarantee no service provider is going to give you a $600+ iPhone for $200. Think of the $200 as only a down payment. By the time the 2 years ends you have paid at least $600+ for the phone.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #30
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
In Australia, not that expensive but bad enough. Staying with my 4S for now.
Russia. Official Apple Premium Reseller - iPhone 5 16Gb - 31990 RUB (986.68 USD)
'Just regular shop' ((gray import from Europe. No official ROSTEST certification), same iPhone 5 16Gb - 25000 RUB(771.07 USD)
all prices are no-contract
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote